Pilgrims & Indians? Nooooooooooooooo!

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
My understanding from those people among that ethnic group that I have met, is that they prefer the term American Indian. "Native" is a term they feel conjures up images of loin cloths, backwardness and ignorance. But since the PC-ers of this world didn't consult them on the terminology, they just shake their heads at your ignorance at using the wrong term, that is, until you have the courtesy to ask them and then they will share their views on the subject.

Thank you for the information. I have some friends & acquaintances who were willing to share their tribal information with me but we never really discussed the PC terms. My ancestors where Irish, German and Polish (I'm sure if I went back far enough I could get the Germanic tribal names, Celtic ones, etc.). With the exception of the month of March, I just call myself "American". If we all go back far enough, we're ALL from someplace else. It is a lot of fun to learn about different cultures and customs, though! It's a shame that we feel we need to "classify" people instead of just looking at everyone as the unique individuals that they are.:howdy:

T

toppick08

Claremont parents clash over kindergarten Thanksgiving costumes - Los Angeles Times

"For decades, Claremont kindergartners have celebrated Thanksgiving by dressing up as pilgrims and Native Americans and sharing a feast. But on Tuesday, when the youngsters meet for their turkey and songs, they won't be wearing their hand-made bonnets, headdresses and fringed vests.

Parents in this quiet university town are sharply divided over what these construction-paper symbols represent: A simple child's depiction of the traditional (if not wholly accurate) tale of two factions setting aside their differences to give thanks over a shared meal? Or a cartoonish stereotype that would never be allowed of other racial, ethnic or religious groups?

It's demeaning," Michelle Raheja, the mother of a kindergartner at Condit Elementary School, wrote to her daughter's teacher. "I'm sure you can appreciate the inappropriateness of asking children to dress up like slaves (and kind slave masters), or Jews (and friendly Nazis), or members of any other racial minority group who has struggled in our nation's history.">

But it's OK in Georgia!

'missippi' is worser...:rolleyes:......than Boston....:coffee:

This_person

My understanding from those people among that ethnic group that I have met, is that they prefer the term American Indian. "Native" is a term they feel conjures up images of loin cloths, backwardness and ignorance. But since the PC-ers of this world didn't consult them on the terminology, they just shake their heads at your ignorance at using the wrong term, that is, until you have the courtesy to ask them and then they will share their views on the subject.
That's good to know. It's the term I've generally used myself (because "native" isn't accurate, "Indian" implies someone from India, and they're American's who are singular in that their ancesters were believed to be Indian by the first Western civilization to have met with them that decided to characterize them), so it's good to know the common sense term is also the one they prefer.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Thank you for the information. I have some friends & acquaintances who were willing to share their tribal information with me but we never really discussed the PC terms. My ancestors where Irish, German and Polish (I'm sure if I went back far enough I could get the Germanic tribal names, Celtic ones, etc.). With the exception of the month of March, I just call myself "American". If we all go back far enough, we're ALL from someplace else. It is a lot of fun to learn about different cultures and customs, though! It's a shame that we feel we need to "classify" people instead of just looking at everyone as the unique individuals that they are.:howdy:
I took a class once on "cultural awareness" or some such, regarding the teaching of children. The argument made in the class was to recognize all groups, not ignore them...(ie. celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, not ignore them all.) And someone said something about not celebrating properly, with the respect due the culture the holiday represents. So I told them they weren't allowed to celebrate St. Patrick's Day because it was an insult to my heritage to put up decorations of shamrocks and leprechans and eat green food, because it has nothing to do with what the holiday is about. A few of them swore never to celebrate any holiday again, one person asked for my email for more info on the proper way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day and one or two MAY have gotten my point, which was exposing children to different cultures, even in a limited capacity by paying lip-service to that culture's important holidays will help broaden their horizons and plant the seeds of further learning about other cultures and their own heritage.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
I took a class once on "cultural awareness" or some such, regarding the teaching of children. The argument made in the class was to recognize all groups, not ignore them...(ie. celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, not ignore them all.) And someone said something about not celebrating properly, with the respect due the culture the holiday represents. So I told them they weren't allowed to celebrate St. Patrick's Day because it was an insult to my heritage to put up decorations of shamrocks and leprechans and eat green food, because it has nothing to do with what the holiday is about. A few of them swore never to celebrate any holiday again, one person asked for my email for more info on the proper way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day and one or two MAY have gotten my point, which was exposing children to different cultures, even in a limited capacity by paying lip-service to that culture's important holidays will help broaden their horizons and plant the seeds of further learning about other cultures and their own heritage.

:yay: Getting ready to do annual "winter holiday" display -- will be including books & other items concerning Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa as usual. Tapped someone yesterday to let me know if she ever sees a Kinara (sp ?) anywhere for the display as I haven't found one yet (in SoMD anyway). It is more of a challenge to add in some of the other holidays for other religions/cultures that I am just learning about from students (127 different countries represented at school). "The more they know, the more they grow". Knowledge is power! :high5: