Pink Floyd turn down £100 million offer ($175 million) to tour the States

Danzig

the band - who reformed especially for Saturday's Live 8 concert - has turned down the lucrative offer.

According to Britain's The Sun newspaper, guitarist Dave Gilmour was overheard saying: "We've been offered 150million to do gigs in the States.

"It's completely mad - and we won't do it. The idea was a one-off for Live 8".

itsbob

I bowl overhand
jazz lady said:
That's a shame. I'd be at the concert in a heartbeat. :ohwell:

:yeahthat:

although one has to wonder how much they'd have to charge per ticket to make a profit!!

Midnightrider

itsbob said:
:yeahthat:

although one has to wonder how much they'd have to charge per ticket to make a profit!!
I went to the one in 94ish at RFK and it was something like $65 then....
normal concerts were running arond $30 at RFK

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Midnightrider said:
I went to the one in 94ish at RFK and it was something like $65 then....normal concerts were running arond $30 at RFK
It would have been worth it to me. I regret I had the chance and didn't go see them in their heyday in the '70s. It's one of the bands I really loved back then and still do today. :ohwell:

tomchamp

I would pay a good chunk to see Pink Floyd live....I was in high school when "The Wall" came out. I think they only did two Wall concerts... one in NY and one in LA (I may be wrong). I still listen to "The Wall" every now and then. Awsome.

Two years ago I paid (ok I'm lying, Cuse the tickets where givin to me) $185 to see Jethro Tull at a cosino in Upstate NY. It was awsome....Ian played all the old stuff...Like "Thick as Brick", "Cross Eyed Marry" "Locomotive Breath" and he was right there like 25' away...And the flute colection he had...geez there was like 20! He used a different one for every song.
:dude: :guitar:

Midnightrider

jazz lady said:
It would have been worth it to me. I regret I had the chance and didn't go see them in their heyday in the '70s. It's one of the bands I really loved back then and still do today. :ohwell:
yeah, it was one of those, i'm only gonna get 1 chance kind of things, so i went. They played a pretty good selection from different albums too. (Wish you where here, dark side of the moon, the wall, and even fearless from meddle)
Just wish there would have been more of Pink Floyd there then just gilmore, but what the hey, the sound was just aout the same as on the albums...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Midnightrider said:
yeah, it was one of those, i'm only gonna get 1 chance kind of things, so i went. They played a pretty good selection from different albums too. (Wish you where here, dark side of the moon, the wall, and even fearless from meddle)
Just wish there would have been more of Pink Floyd there then just gilmore, but what the hey, the sound was just aout the same as on the albums...
Yep, I'm learning not to turn those "once in a lifetime" chances away any more. Life is way too short for regrets and missed opportunities. :yay:

tomchamp

Midnightrider said:

What do you mean...that was all the original members..even the old man playing drums. And even if I'm wrong on this at least Gilmore and Rogers were there!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
tomchamp said:
I would pay a good chunk to see Pink Floyd live....I was in high school when "The Wall" came out. I think they only did two Wall concerts... one in NY and one in LA (I may be wrong). I still listen to "The Wall" every now and then. Awsome.
I was in high school too when it came out. I think you're right about the concerts. I know they didn't tour much. "The Wall" was one of the first albums I bought again on CD. :yay:

Two years ago I paid (ok I'm lying, Cuse the tickets where givin to me) $185 to see Jethro Tull at a cosino in Upstate NY. It was awsome....Ian played all the old stuff...Like "Thick as Brick", "Cross Eyed Marry" "Locomotive Breath" and he was right there like 25' away...And the flute colection he had...geez there was like 20! He used a different one for every song.
:dude: :guitar:
:yay: As a fellow flutist, I would have loved to seen him too, although somebody else on the forums :whistle: would kill herself first. :lol: I've seen some of the greatest flutists in the world in concert: Jean-Pierre Rampal, James Galway, Dave Valentin, and some others I can't remember right now. I've also paid dearly for some of the tickets :whistle: but each one was absolutely AWESOME in their own right! :clap: