Place your business card on a car window or wiper

KDENISE977

Bad idea, 2 things come to mind immediatley personal property and solicitation...if one won't get you in trouble, the other will.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
My old boss from the garden center that I worked at in high school used to make me do that on Saturday mornings in Fort Washington parking lots. I was terrified that someone would come out yelling at me. I'm sure I threw most of them in the trash. :lol:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Curious, can you cite the law?

I agree though that I wouldn't do business with anyone that does this.

It's not explicit in MD law, but it can be considered littering or tampering with a vehicle. Some localities, like Ocean City,
do have explicit laws.

Stew

You should create a "nice" colorful flyer highlighting all your services and qualifications and pay a few trustworthy kids to hand them out in store shopping lots on select weekends. Have them focus on people with older cars in the parking lot.:coffee:

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
It's not explicit in MD law, but it can be considered littering or tampering with a vehicle. Some localities, like Ocean City,
do have explicit laws.
Okay, I knew it could be a littering charge for the solicitor when people threw the flyers or cards to the ground, also knew it could be trespassing if the store/s had "no soliciting" posted around the property, but couldn't find a specific law making it illegal just to do it, which isn't to say a law doesn't exist, only that I couldn't find it. :buddies:

C

czygvtwkr

Any business cards i find on my windshield I take inside of wherever it was I was at and put them in the bottom of the urinal for guys to aim at.

xobxdoc

good or bad idea overall

Looking to expand my car repair cliental a bit and have been feeling out options for marketing. Its for work done privately at my personal garage.

In the past I have put business cards on cars in parking lots to get my info out there. I Was thinking of using business cards or postcard sized flyers with my information on it to generate some additional work and business relationships.

Some people dislike stuff on there car, others are fine with it.
Trying to feel the water so to say.

You definitely need to advertise. Word of my only gets you so far. This site seems like a good start. The key is to continually advertise. Once you stop advertising, your business will drop off. I would try the Penny saver. You also need to network with organizations like the Chamber of Commerce. When I ran a business, I was an associate member of the Home Builders and also the Association of Realtors. I got a lot of business through them. Create your own website. Be flexible. Maybe some repairs can be done at your customer's location. There are lots of ways to stand out.

This is all under the assumption that you do quality work. If not, don't waste your time. Good luck.

pelers

I wouldn't necessarily boycott you for putting junk on my car, but I would likely not read the card and I'd be grumpy about having to go out of my way to throw it away.

pbotz

good feedback. Im trying to build up my customer base for future growth towards shop ownership. currently I use my garage to do the work and report accordingly to taxes.

Its a good way to pass on the savings. I have a small customer base of high end cars, but want to begin to capture some of the everyday cars out there.

I do like the flyer idea one post said, having a few youngens hand them out.

Everybody/or business has to start somewhere becoming known, and this is what im looking to achieve .

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
good feedback. Im trying to build up my customer base for future growth towards shop ownership. currently I use my garage to do the work and report accordingly to taxes.

Its a good way to pass on the savings. I have a small customer base of high end cars, but want to begin to capture some of the everyday cars out there.

I do like the flyer idea one post said, having a few youngens hand them out.

Everybody/or business has to start somewhere becoming known, and this is what im looking to achieve .

What kind of work are we talking about?

Also make yourself a facebook page for the business. Can work to your advantage.

good or bad idea overall

Looking to expand my car repair cliental a bit and have been feeling out options for marketing. Its for work done privately at my personal garage.

In the past I have put business cards on cars in parking lots to get my info out there. I Was thinking of using business cards or postcard sized flyers with my information on it to generate some additional work and business relationships.

Overall....don't do it. I was a business owner many years ago and participated in the windshield, wiper blade advertising. I never had any trouble with it, but others in the industry did. Break a wiper blade and they know exactly who to come to and place blame. Scratch the windshield, same story. I was then trained just to put above door handle where it was convenient for the owner to grab the card and hopefully read. But guess what....some of those car alarms are pretty sensitive and draw a whole lot of attention! Also, don't always trust the young ones with your business. I once instructed some teens to flyer cars here, but not over there.....guess where they put the flyers....the one place they were instructed NOT to go? The local police department. My business phone sure did ring then!!! And not with customers wanting to patronize my business. It is your business, create a facebook page, do some bulletin board postings, pull-tabs, small ads and motivate your customers to pass along your qualities, etc. As your business grows invest in more advertising. Good luck!!

black dog

Free America
good or bad idea overall

I asked this question in post #2and you have not answered.
ARE YOU LICENSED AND INSURED AS A BUSINESS IN MARYLAND?????

black dog

Free America
good or bad idea overall

MadDogMarine

Why don't you read the U.S. constitution for your answer to that question.
It is called the "fundamental right to contract and has been well established in this country.
THE "RIGHT TO CONTRACT
Article I, section 10, clause 1. It states:

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

Here is someone who "gets it"
Liberty of Contract: Rediscovering a Lost Constitutional Right (hardcover)
Cato Store | Individual Liberty, Free Markets, and Peace

black dog

Free America
Ok leatherneck, It is a pretty simple question that I am asking. Is this a registered Maryland Company, Or is this a Sole proprietorship ? Or is this a weekend warrior ? Does it have business insurance to cover the person working on my auto plus if my auto is damaged or wrecked in there care, Will it be covered ? It would really suck to have a oil change done on my diesel truck and the engine locks up after 4 miles and then find out the company I just paid to service my truck has no insurance to cover my 8 thousand dollar engine. A brother Sandflea.

MadDogMarine

Ok leatherneck, It is a pretty simple question that I am asking. Is this a registered Maryland Company, Or is this a Sole proprietorship ? Or is this a weekend warrior ? Does it have business insurance to cover the person working on my auto plus if my auto is damaged or wrecked in there care, Will it be covered ? It would really suck to have a oil change done on my diesel truck and the engine locks up after 4 miles and then find out the company I just paid to service my truck has no insurance to cover my 8 thousand dollar engine. A brother Sandflea.

A simple question deserves a simple solution! Everything that is of concern to you can be integrated into YOUR contract for services, can it not???
If he/she fails in those terms, they can be sued for breach.
The complicated answer is why do people demand big govt. agencies monitoring every Tom, Dick and Harry that wants to offer their services to the public. The latest stupidity is wanting licenses for yard sales.
I know how to negotiate a 2 party contract with someone and I do NOT need to involve a third party(some bureaucrat) into that contract that does nothing towards the work being performed other than find another way to tax the transaction!

pbotz

I think it is a safe assumption that he is not licensed and insured. In fact, I am going to go out on a limb and guess that he is 19 or 20 years old and lives in his mom's basement, and doesn't even know how to get licensed and insured. Just my guess.

Not the case here. Id be better off living in old moms basement and saving all my cash. im living the American dream of owning my home and working for someone else.

Living expenses grow so im always looking to counteract that. I have 15 yrs. automotive experience but never needed to do too much private work. I'm working towards bigger things for myself. A smart person would build up a customer base of clients privately servicing those cars at home as cheaply as possibly before branching off to there own shop.
that's where I am at now in life.

Of the 100 plus side jobs I have done, no one has challenged my licensing or insurances. I do stand by all my work and it is performed properly.
Most have been repeat jobs, but those have been on one auto manufacturer only.

Im starting to open up to different makes/models now, so its a build up stage.

I do understand some of the posters concerns, but those are the ones that don't mind paying full prices for repairs to there cars.

Popster

You could start a thread on a message board with a general business question and generate some publicity that way.

Actually, thanks for asking. I won't give business to someone that makes my old bones get back out of my car to get stuff off of my wipers before I can drive away. FWIW

mamatutu

mama to two
Not the case here. Id be better off living in old moms basement and saving all my cash. im living the American dream of owning my home and working for someone else.

Living expenses grow so im always looking to counteract that. I have 15 yrs. automotive experience but never needed to do too much private work. I'm working towards bigger things for myself. A smart person would build up a customer base of clients privately servicing those cars at home as cheaply as possibly before branching off to there own shop.
that's where I am at now in life.

Of the 100 plus side jobs I have done, no one has challenged my licensing or insurances. I do stand by all my work and it is performed properly.
Most have been repeat jobs, but those have been on one auto manufacturer only.

Im starting to open up to different makes/models now, so its a build up stage.

I do understand some of the posters concerns, but those are the ones that don't mind paying full prices for repairs to there cars.

It doesn't bother me to have advertisements put on my windshield. I have had countless advertisements put in my mailbox, which is illegal, which does bother me! :lol: As far as the littering of the advertisements, that is on the conscience of the receiver. I don't think placing a piece of paper under someones wiper is going to damage the car. I had someone put something on my car one day when they didn't realize I was in it. Scared the poop out him. :lol: He was really nice, and I ended up patronizing his business. I see nothing wrong with what you are doing. Whatever it takes to survive, unless it is classified as a felony. :lol: There is nothing wrong with being motivated, and imaginative.

Last edited: