Placement of Boat Lights

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Need to equip a 16' boat with lights.

Red and green up front I've got.

Where should the white light on the back go?

TIA:buddies:

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Thanks!

From 'Boating Definitions and Mnemonics' -

"The basic running lights are white to the stern of the boat, red to port, and green to starboard.

(Note that a three-colored running light, as described above, isn't a "mast light" even if it's mounted at the top of a sailboat's mast, nor is the white masthead light shown by all power boats. Confused enough?)"

Yeah, I'm confused!

Does it matter where on the stern the white light goes? I know when we had a ski boat, it was on the starboard side, but that would be right in the way of the trot line. (oops, I wasn't supposed to say that!)

Again, TIA! :buddies:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Thanks!

"The basic running lights are white to the stern of the boat, red to port, and green to starboard.

(Note that a three-colored running light, as described above, isn't a "mast light" even if it's mounted at the top of a sailboat's mast, nor is the white masthead light shown by all power boats. Confused enough?)"

Yeah, I'm confused!

Does it matter where on the stern the white light goes? I know when we had a ski boat, it was on the starboard side, but that would be right in the way of the trot line. (oops, I wasn't supposed to say that!)

It can go anywhere near the stern but it has to be higher than any other object back there.

limblips

PREMO Member
Thanks!

Yeah, I'm confused!

It doesn't matter but it is more than a running light. If you are anchored at night it should be on. Not the bow lights, just the white stern light.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm confused!

It's been a long time since I've taken the Captains course, but I believe that port/starbord doesn't matter, as long as your 360* white light is higher than the forward running lights.

I'm going to have to look it up in my manual.......

Ok, quoting my Chapmans...
Power driven less than 12 meters.
Stern light, 135* visible 2 miles (no notation for placement port/starboard).
Less than 12 meters need only have 360* white light visible 2 mile with red/green side lights. White light at least one meter above the side lights, can be less than 2.5 meters above the gunwale.

Ok, found some pictures. While there is nothing in the text that says port/starboard placement, the picture shows the 360* light on the starboard.

Last edited:
Ok, quoting my Chapmans...
Power driven less than 12 meters.
Stern light, 135* visible 2 miles (no notation for placement port/starboard).
Less than 12 meters need only have 360* white light visible 2 mile with red/green side lights. White light at least one meter above the side lights, can be less than 2.5 meters above the gunwale.

Ok, found some pictures. While there is nothing in the text that says port/starboard placement, the picture shows the 360* light on the starboard.

Mine was mounted on top of my windscreen on a pole, so about midships. The Coasties tried to tell me it was wrong. I asked if they thought it was visisble from the rear and they backed off.:lol: