Plan B

MMM_donuts

It's my understanding that you (the parents) don't have access to your child's medical records after 14yo unless they give consent. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

ZARA

It's my understanding that you (the parents) don't have access to your child's medical records after 14yo unless they give consent. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Mine is 17 and I attend all his Dr visits. It has never been an issue for us, so I honestly have no idea.

PsyOps

Pixelated
You certainly have a say - and what you say is "no". Why should the government have to say "no" for you?

On one hand you say you don't want Uncle Sugar parenting your child; then on the other hand you want him to prevent your child from taking an abortion pill. Which is it?

Not if she can just waltz into CVS, grab it off the shelf and buy it. The government just said any 15 year old GIRL can do that without parent consent. Can you tell me why this isn't the case with BC pills? Can you tell me why she can't take a Midol or aspirin to school? This is no benign drug that doesn't have any potential for harm and abuse. I don't want the government to prevent anything; I want the parent to. What I don't want is the government giving the green light to MINORS to take medications that should, at a minimum, require a parent's consent; let alone a prescription.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't want the government to prevent anything; I want the parent to.

Not if she can just waltz into CVS, grab it off the shelf and buy it.
Then prevent her from waltzing into CVS and buying it.

I'll be honest - I do not give one smidgen of a damn about OPC. What I care very much about is supporting them and their offspring for the rest of their lives because they rut like mindless animals. If you do not want your daughter getting knocked up and taking abortion pills, prevent her from doing it. Don't expect the government to parent your child.

She can go to school and score a rock easier than she can get the abortion pill from CVS. It's up to you, not the government, to keep your kids from taking drugs you don't want them taking.

luvmygdaughters

IMHO, I think most parents are involved in their childs everyday life, the ones you see on Maury or Teen Mom or any of those other stupid a$$ shows are in the minority. Problem is, good teens and parents dont make the news. If the government says its okay for a 15 year old minor to purchase this pill without her parent/guardian's consent, then the government has just told her its okay to have sex without your parents consent also. Its hard enough raising teens these days, but when the government goes so far as to overrule your parental authority, things have gone too far. Its the same with legalizing pot...if youve been telling your kids about the evils of drugs and its terrible consequences if caught doing it, then all of a sudden the government says, well we just changed our minds and now its okay, what argument do you have to use? Teens, good ones and not so good ones, are going to make mistakes. The difference now is, before you would have to discuss mistakes and problems with your parents, now the government has taken that equation out of it. Not to mention the emotional damage it may do to some poor 15 year old girl who doesnt know how to handle what she's just done.

protectmd

I don't think that Maury and Teen Mom shows are the minority. I think they are a prime example of what happens when teens aren't on birth control. You would like to believe they are the minority, but the fact of the matter is alot of high schools have DAY CARE PROGRAMS so that students who get pregnant can still graduate. This is what your tax dollars pay for.

The government isn't telling any parent how to raise their children. The government clearly stepped in and gave teenagers an option to prevent pregnancy. Its no different than handing out condoms in school. If you were the one who didn't want your child to learn about condoms, then you could sign the permission slip and opt out. The reality is, the MAJORITY of the kids in the schools learned about condoms and prevention of pregnancy and STD's. Whats sad is when people limit the options of their kids and their kids end up pregnant or causing pregnancy. Thats the hypocritical garbage that is put out daily in this country.

Third. While people are upset with how the government is going in reference to this, they won't complain when teen pregnancy is down, and that theres less welfare babies being born that their tax dollars are paying for. A judge somewhere obviously saw the benefit of preventing teenage pregnancy using birth control, apparently some of the population doesn't.

Lastly, Perhaps they should change the age of responsibility, I wish they would. You can get your drivers license at 16. Drive a car, kill someone. You can get charged as an adult at 14, be tried as an adult and convicted as an adult. The age of consent in some states is 14. You can get a job at 14. At 16 you can become an emancipated minor. At 18, you can buy a lottery ticket, sign up for the military, get married, own property, buy a shotgun or rifle, and tobacco. But for some reason, you can die for your country and not drink alcoholic beverages at your own wedding at 18? Teenagers have kids at 13, 14 and up, like its nothing. It makes no sense that you have to wait till the age of 21 to purchase a handgun or buy alcohol. You can carry a handgun in the military but not own one at 18? The laws in this country have long been jacked up. Personally, I think that it needs to be one uniform age. Be it 18, or 16, there needs to be a uniform age of rights and responsibility. Its not fair to punish someone as an adult, but he doesn't get the rights of an adult lifestyle. It wasn't too long ago in the 1800's that teenagers had more rights and responsibilities. It wasn't that long ago that our countries founders grew marijuana on their plantation, and yes, many sat down and smoked the "peace pipe" back in the day. However, at some point, this plant became demonized, and someone thought it would be a great idea to pay to incarcerate everyone who was caught with small amounts, causing cops to focus on the kid with the dimebag, while the armed robbers and burglars run wild? The United States has lost their minds. I pray someone brings sanity back to this country. I hope that someone restores the rights and responsibilities to those who serve in the military but can't drink some booze, or enjoy their 2nd amendment right.

Something else I haven't seen anybody else point out... this pill works as such:

If you take it within 72 hours after you've had unprotected sex, Plan B One-Step can reduce the risk of pregnancy by up to 89%. If you take Plan B One-Step within 24 hours, it is about 95% effective.

But you should know that Plan B or Plan B One-Step is not as effective as regular contraception. So don't take it as your main form of birth control. And, it does not protect you against sexually transmitted diseases. Think of it as a backup -- not for routine use. That's why it's called Plan B.

There is no age requirement requirement to buy condoms... a lot of you sound like you think the girl who doesn't have the money or guts enough to ensure she has condoms is really going to be thinking straight enough to head to a pharmacy to get this pill every time she decides to have sex... that is not realistic thinking at all.

I would say the realistic use of this pill won't reduce overall unplanned pregnancies by any noticeable differerence. A female who is that nonchalant about her reproductive system isn't going to run out to get a special pill withing 72 hours of every time she beds a dude.

This pill isn't going to be used by the promiscuous teen as much as it will be used by the self-aware that realize the condom broke or they drank too much and didn't use protection, etc.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
My daughter is 21 now, but back when she was a teen I would have rather she went behind my back to get this pill then tell me I have to babysit while she works fast food to pay for diapers.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This pill isn't going to be used by the promiscuous teen as much as it will be used by the self-aware that realize the condom broke or they drank too much and didn't use protection, etc.

That's a good point. I imagine it won't be cheap.

nomoney

Not if she can just waltz into CVS, grab it off the shelf and buy it. The government just said any 15 year old GIRL can do that without parent consent. Can you tell me why this isn't the case with BC pills? Can you tell me why she can't take a Midol or aspirin to school? This is no benign drug that doesn't have any potential for harm and abuse. I don't want the government to prevent anything; I want the parent to. What I don't want is the government giving the green light to MINORS to take medications that should, at a minimum, require a parent's consent; let alone a prescription.

I don't know what the big whoop is. This pill has been avail (FOR FREE- GASP!!) To anyone/any age that could get there slutty asses over to the health department for quite a long time now. I'm pretty sure if they really need it - a 15 year old isn't going to pay $$$ to buy it from CVS when she can get (and prob has been already getting it )it for free or for super duper cheap at the health dpt.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Something else I haven't seen anybody else point out... this pill works as such:

If you take it within 72 hours after you've had unprotected sex, Plan B One-Step can reduce the risk of pregnancy by up to 89%. If you take Plan B One-Step within 24 hours, it is about 95% effective.

But you should know that Plan B or Plan B One-Step is not as effective as regular contraception. So don't take it as your main form of birth control. And, it does not protect you against sexually transmitted diseases. Think of it as a backup -- not for routine use. That's why it's called Plan B.

There is no age requirement requirement to buy condoms... a lot of you sound like you think the girl who doesn't have the money or guts enough to ensure she has condoms is really going to be thinking straight enough to head to a pharmacy to get this pill every time she decides to have sex... that is not realistic thinking at all.

I would say the realistic use of this pill won't reduce overall unplanned pregnancies by any noticeable differerence. A female who is that nonchalant about her reproductive system isn't going to run out to get a special pill withing 72 hours of every time she beds a dude.

I think this is correct.

First off, plan b is not an abortion pill. It is basically nothing more than a megadose of a regular everyday BC pil. One thats been studied and given for many, many years. Safe medication. Will not abort a pregnancy.

In fact the process of going to get it, paying the 30 bucks, taking it..may very well make it click in a 15 year olds head that perhaps they should avoid the hassle and get put on regular birth control instead. I wish that was a bit easierfor teens to get without parental consent. I cant tell you how many girls I knew, even in college! that didnt take regular BC because they didn't want hteir paents to know about it. They took the risk of having an unplanned pregnancy becaus eto them, thats less of a risk than their parent knowing they were having sex. Luckily my mother and I had a great relationship and she never told me that sex was awful and I shouldn't do it and tried to give me realistic expectations so I ws prepared to make the best choice for me. I was able to speak with my mom about getting the pillw ith no problems...but some people don't have that. and they are the ones most at risk.

PsyOps

Pixelated
For me this isn’t about whether we think our kids are going to have sex anyway or which parents give a rats ### about what their kid does. It’s about stripping away a parent’s ability to be involved in the decision-making of what pills their child ingests. I have a daughter and couldn’t dream of the thought of her being able to walk into any grocery store and grabbing this off the shelf without me having some sort of say in it. I don't even want her buying aspirin without me knowing about it. There is a reason why we believe kids are still minors up until 18. I am still responsible for her at age 15 when something goes wrong. I’m thinking of the nightmare of finding my daughter having seizures, or some other reaction, because she had some reaction to this and I don’t even know she took it. I know some of you want to say ‘well you should have kept a closer eye on her…’ Perhaps, but that doesn’t relieve me of my responsibilities. When it blows up in my face, I will be responsible for fixing it. I don’t need complications by the government allowing MINORS to make medical decisions about themselves and take medications that should at least require my consent. You really trust a 15 year old to make medical decisions about themselves? At 15 I want to know if my kids have taken something as little as just an aspirin. If at all possible, I want to be the one to decide why MY kids ingest. I can’t be guaranteed this will always work that way; but the government giving the green light to CHILDREN to take medications like this without a parent’s involvement just complicates that.

Now I sit here and wonder what else they will approve of a 15 year to do without my consent: birth control pills? Percocet? Abortion? What about piercings and tattos? Did you know most states forbid someone to give a minor a tatto or piercing without a parent permission? But pop a pill to prevent pregnancy? :yay:

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
What is the age a minor can get an abortion without parental consent? 16?

Teen Abortion Laws In The United States

Just a quick glace there are a few states that don't require any permission to get an abortion: California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, and Oregon.

This is pretty enlightening for me. I had not idea there are so many states. Of course there has to be details in the law that has to restict this to some degree.

Try to imagine a 10 year old not needing permission from their parent to get an abortion. I find that absolutely insane.

PsyOps

Pixelated
And birth control, too? Is that also 16?

I was able to find this:

Can I Get Birth Control Without Parent Permission?

Twenty-one states explicitly allow all minors to consent to contraceptive services without parental permission.

Twenty-five states permit minors to consent to contraceptive services in one or more circumstances. The vast majority allow a married minor to recieve contraceptive services.
Three states allow minors to consent to contraceptive services if a physician determines that the minor would face a health hazard otherwise.

But consider you still need a prescription for BC pills.

Foxhound

Finishing last
Plan B information.

I'm sure all those parents of teenage girls feel much better about their little girls having unprotected sex, because our government makes it so much more acceptable, now. Thank you for that clarification of the pills intended affects.

What about its social and side effects?

Last edited:

ZARA

I was able to find this:

Can I Get Birth Control Without Parent Permission?

But consider you still need a prescription for BC pills.

I would like to point out a few important points to keep in mind:

1. Not all minors live with their parents/guardians. I left home when I was 14 and never went back.

2. Not all minors become wards of the state. My mother told the cops she didn’t want me, the cops took me to YCC (Youth Crisis Center). YCC has no way to make minors stay at the facility. Minors can leave at any time. I left.

I understand your objections but your objections are only realistic when parents / guardians play an active role in the minor’s life.

For the people like me that fall through the cracks, what would you suggest? That is not a sarcastic question, I am being serious.