Planer Boards

josmom

I am looking for advice on planer boards. I hit a charter boat out of North Beach on Wed. and a majority of the fish hit on the planers. I am curious about which is better to go with. A 3 board or a 2 board planer, and where can I find the overviews of making them. There seems to be nothing to them, just some 1x8 and some all thread.

CAN ANYONE HELP THANKS

josmom said:
I am looking for advice on planer boards. I hit a charter boat out of North Beach on Wed. and a majority of the fish hit on the planers. I am curious about which is better to go with. A 3 board or a 2 board planer, and where can I find the overviews of making them. There seems to be nothing to them, just some 1x8 and some all thread.

CAN ANYONE HELP THANKS
I think with as crowded as the bay gets and the way the charter boats think they own it they should be banned. It's not that hard to catch fish without them.

HunterJJD

I think the distance they are out should have a limit

they help a lot, I have them but do not use them but I also do not fish for a living. Charter boats need as many lines in to catch the money

If you do not know anything about them then test them during the middle of the week when no one else is out there

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
josmom said:

CAN ANYONE HELP THANKS
Believe it or not, I have the directions on how to make them on my computer at home,will send to you later tonite if you want them. BF has made the 2 and 3 board planer and I haven't heard him say which he preferred. If he can make them, anybody can. :lmao:

josmom

FancyBelle said:
Believe it or not, I have the directions on how to make them on my computer at home,will send to you later tonite if you want them. BF has made the 2 and 3 board planer and I haven't heard him say which he preferred. If he can make them, anybody can. :lmao:

That would be great. If you could email them to skipjenswing@yahoo.com it would greatly be appreciated.

I do agree with what some of the other people are saying about the planer boards. I, at first thought they were a pain when I was the little boat in the water trying to get around the charters and watching out for the boards. But then once I saw how to effective use them and how the lines get rigged on the planers, I love them.

I do think that there should be a limit to how far out you can have them. The boat we went out on Wed. kept them about 125 ft from the side, thought that was a little far, but when he was running 6 rigs off of each side, that really made me realize that he needed that much room.

I have a 27 ft. shamrock(pilot house) and am thinking about putting them out maybe 75 ft just to be able to get a couple of extra lines in the water. I, mean if you really think about it, your boat goes over a school of fish you can't see underwater, freaks the fish out, then where do they go? More then likely off to the sides to get away from the big loud propeller that is going to eat them up for lunch. lol. So why not make sure you have some lines off to the side to be able to get those fish in the boat easier.

Fish Whistle

Planer Boards Rule!

I have been using planer boards for several years now and swear by there efectiveness. I use a large 1"X12"X36" three board planers with 150' round weed eater string cables. These are homeade and NEVER flip. I have tried all different kinds before building these. These are home made and a pair can be made for approx. $150.00. Dont skimp you will regret it!

Things to consider when prepairing to make planer boards-

How many lines do you want to put on them? The more lines the longer the cable & larger the boards. I run 4 lines on each side.

How much room on your boat to transport the boards? stable boards are larger

Where are you going to attach them to your vessle? Consider a high position forward the fishing deck ( rocket launchers, Radar Arch, Etc.) I suggest doing a test run before making a perminent mounting location. I used a threaded ring on the rocket launchers and put a quick clip on the end of the planer line to attach them to the ring. When I am done using the boards I wrap the planer cable on a couple of extension cord reels to keep them from getting tangled.

Do you fish in rough weather (3'-5' seas)? If so you need large planer boards. If you flip a planer board it will reverse direction and cross all of your lines.....NOT FUN AT ALL!! TRUST ME. Based on my expiriance most of the large Rockfish are found in the spring & fall. During these times the weather is unpredictable and I do not want to be limited on my presentation based on the weather.

What color & paint? Use a bright color (yellow, chartruse) so other people can see your boards clearly and don't run into them. I used good quality below water boat paint for wood. This paint will not come off on your decks during transport.

Hope this helps.

Anyone who thinks planer boards should be banned has never used them efectively and probably has problems negotiating there vessle. I never have any problems with charter captains and they give me the same respect I give them. The Chesapeake Bay is plenty large enough for everyone to run planer boards as long as you pay attention give way when needed (dont drive your vessle like your in DC). Saturday I was in the Bay during the MSSA tournament and 6 out of 7 of my fish were landed on the planer boards. Back at the pier by 9:00AM with 6 keepers. 2 over 45" (one 43lbs) and 4 right under 35". Once again like always the planer boards rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!