Planet Fitness and other chain gyms

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They're all over and most places we go to have one. So I thought it would make sense to get a Black membership - $21.95/mo and it's good for most PF across the US. Several of our RV resorts have a fitness room but they're usually small and an afterthought. Space to lay down a yoga mat rarely happens.

My problem is that PF has a TON of negative reviews because of their shady billing and cancellation practices. I had this experience with MaxFit a few years ago:
and have no interest in reliving that.

I don't know why gyms do this. Why not just be straight up and professional with your customers? Why be aholes and give them the runaround?

So anyway, any Planet Fitness members on here? Can you recommend them or should I just keep making do? I really want to join this gym, but I dread the thought of having to fight with them later.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
PF is good for rubber tramps because it gives you access to showers and bathrooms 24/7.

warneckutz

I've got a membership to both Planet and Results.

After working in a gym for years, I can tell you that the manager at your local gym can definitely make things right with billing IF THEY WANT TO... Saw plenty of mistakes by the company that handles the billing and only a call from the club manager seemed to fix it.

If you're worried about specifics, I'd ask them to address your concerns and if they say you're covered - have them hi-lite those areas in case problems occur.

I do know PF has a yearly fee, on top of their monthly fee, as well that they SHOULD tell you about.

I've got a membership to both Planet and Results.

After working in a gym for years, I can tell you that the manager at your local gym can definitely make things right with billing IF THEY WANT TO... Saw plenty of mistakes by the company that handles the billing and only a call from the club manager seemed to fix it.

If you're worried about specifics, I'd ask them to address your concerns and if they say you're covered - have them hi-lite those areas in case problems occur.

I do know PF has a yearly fee, on top of their monthly fee, as well that they SHOULD tell you about.
💪💪🏋️‍♂️🏋️‍♂️

kalmd

I have a PF black card membership and haven't had any problems. I've never tried to cancel, but my monthly charge is taken out as expected as well as the yearly fee. I joined as soon as they opened last year.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
I don't know why gyms do this. Why not just be straight up and professional with your customers?
It's been prevalent so long that there are many movies and comedy shows over the years which satirize the difficulty in trying to cancel a gym membership. I think Seinfeld even did an episode like this. I've got some machines and free weights in my basement and I couldn't be happier. Subtract the time to get dressed, drive to the gym, drive home and we're talking some serious time.

PeoplesElbow

Internet services were the same back in the 90s. Back in the early 90s I begged my parents for a credit card number so I could do the free Prodigy trial, cancelled it and they just kept charging, my mom was not happy with me.

Some Supplemental or Medigap insurance companies offer beneifts, one being Silver Sneakers. I got the card a few months ago, but haven't checked it out. I believe it gives me access to a gym at no cost.

I really need to do this.... :ohwell:

"Silver Sneakers" sounds like a good name for an old-timers 50s cover band. Do it! GWguy… start a band! :drummer:

black dog

Free America
Some Supplemental or Medigap insurance companies offer beneifts, one being Silver Sneakers. I got the card a few months ago, but haven't checked it out. I believe it gives me access to a gym at no cost.

I really need to do this.... :ohwell:

Does that mean you will be friends with " Super Shoes"

black dog

Free America
Oh. New one on me. I have everything from her on ignore.

I hope not....

Ahhhhh,,,, I called him that a few years ago, she got mad lol, I earned a few 2 am PM's from her, then she started calling him that..... It was funny.