Plinking ammo

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I finally got out and shot yesterday. I have a fairly new Beretta M9 .22 pistol. I like the Beretta and anyone that spent any time in the military will be familiar with this pistol. The Beretta feels nice and solid in my hand. Not too light nor too heavy.

But my issue is with my ammo. I use Remington bulk .22 Golden Bullet ammo. My magazines hold 15 rounds. So I can aim and squeeze off a few rounds while trying to improve my marksmanship. But yesterday I had a high number of misfires. Checking of other forums it seems other shooters have issues with .22 ammo. The consensus is that CCI Blazer ammo is the most reliable .22 out there.

Anyone else have any bulk ammo issues? I still have around 1,500 rounds that need to get used up before I try a different brand.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I finally got out and shot yesterday. I have a fairly new Beretta M9 .22 pistol. I like the Beretta and anyone that spent any time in the military will be familiar with this pistol. The Beretta feels nice and solid in my hand. Not too light nor too heavy.

But my issue is with my ammo. I use Remington bulk .22 Golden Bullet ammo. My magazines hold 15 rounds. So I can aim and squeeze off a few rounds while trying to improve my marksmanship. But yesterday I had a high number of misfires. Checking of other forums it seems other shooters have issues with .22 ammo. The consensus is that CCI Blazer ammo is the most reliable .22 out there.

Anyone else have any bulk ammo issues? I still have around 1,500 rounds that need to get used up before I try a different brand.

I have a couple buckets of the Rem Golden but only use it in a Lever Rifle and one revolver that both have a good, hard hitting strike of the firing pin.

My Semi-Autos seem to do best with Winchester SuperX or CCI MiniMags.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...40-grain-power-point-plated-lead-hollow-point

Last edited:

Bonehead

X2 on the CCI mini mags. Remingtons don't work reliably in beretta, walther, ruger or glock 19 conversion for me. I will shoot them but accept FTF and FTE will occur.

Chris0nllyn

Remington had major issues with the golden bucket rounds. My .22s had problems (with the exception of my old bolt action.22) with them, but never a problem with the CCI Mini Mags.

X3 for mini mags.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My Ruger MK III is a picky piece when it comes to the ammunition I feed it. FTF issues mostly. My Remington 66 rifle did too...so I never buy bulk .22 these days. I don't shoot .22 that much any more anyway.

black dog

Free America
X4 for the mini's curing your problem, are you running the pistol wet with oil? That helps in many ways. My son and I shoot thousands of Federal bulk Auto-Match each year in just about all of our non match shooting.
I have a Walther TPH and a Walther P22 that hate everything but either CCI minis or Stingers.. it's the only 22 that will reliability function in them.
Did the Beretta come with two different recoil springs?
I would also suggest the you buy a few different 50 rd 40 grain high velocity 22's and try them in your pistol.

black dog

Free America
My Ruger MK III is a picky piece when it comes to the ammunition I feed it. FTF issues mostly. My Remington 66 rifle did too...so I never buy bulk .22 these days. I don't shoot .22 that much any more anyway.

That's really surprising about having a feeding problem with any of rugers rimfire autos. Have you ever thought of sending it back to them for service?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's really surprising about having a feeding problem with any of rugers rimfire autos. Have you ever thought of sending it back to them for service?

I've had two of the MK IIIs and both will occasionally fail to feed. I guess I'm just used to putting up with that in rimfire semis because the Remington 66 rifle I grew up with always did the same thing occasionally. I'd be a lot more concerned about it if it was personal defense weapon, but they are not that.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Did the Beretta come with two different recoil springs?

No. I did get 2 other magazines, so I don't have to stop all the time and reload. I'm going to disassemble them and give them a good cleaning also. I didn't pay attention if it was only 1 of the magazines causing an issue.

I also have a Walther P22. Man is that gun ever a pain to put back together. Ugh.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I could shoot .22s all day long. I just need it to put a hole in the target, it doesn't even have to be a very large hole.

Me too!. I just don't have opportunity to shoot anything much these days so I tend to focus more on my larger caliber stuff. I used to shoot on my own property all the time but with the influx of weenies from the suburbs over the last couple decades, I got tired of the LE visits every time I'd open up the firing range.

Bonehead

Ruger Mark I is the only semi that I had spray me with lead and brass. Got rid of that POS after sending it back to Ruger for repair. I did handle a Mark IV hunter model recently...very sweet shooter.

black dog

Free America
No. I did get 2 other magazines, so I don't have to stop all the time and reload. I'm going to disassemble them and give them a good cleaning also. I didn't pay attention if it was only 1 of the magazines causing an issue.

I also have a Walther P22. Man is that gun ever a pain to put back together. Ugh.

Lol.. that two piece barrel is a bitch.. I will say this about lots of the new gen 22's.
The kid and a own a Sig mosquito and the Walther P22, and I will say this.
I also have a early Ruger Mk11 heavy barrel, multiple Smith mod 41's, a few Colt Ace 22's all of them work almost flawlessly, even my 41's and they are famous for being finicky.
I would say you would he much happier with a new Browning Buckmark, And any of the Rugers auto 22's or the S&W 22 lineup.
I shoot bullseye 22 in the winter and for the folks that will not or can't afford a vintage 41 Smith the Browning Buckmark has a big showing next is the S&W lineup and then Ruger. And they all shoot very well.

The struggle you are having is SO common with the cast alloy 22's that have entered the market in the last 10-12 years.

I feel your 20180316_142415.jpg
I feel your pain.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
Ruger Mark I is the only semi that I had spray me with lead and brass. Got rid of that POS after sending it back to Ruger for repair. I did handle a Mark IV hunter model recently...very sweet shooter.

Silly question, how does a automatic pistol spray you with lead?
The MK4 is the Shizzle in the MK series, super easy takedown for cleaning.

black dog

Free America
Me too!. I just don't have opportunity to shoot anything much these days so I tend to focus more on my larger caliber stuff. I used to shoot on my own property all the time but with the influx of weenies from the suburbs over the last couple decades, I got tired of the LE visits every time I'd open up the firing range.

A rimfire can and a vintage Detroit bullet trap works well in today's environment.
Even when we shot lots of rimfire in Dotsonville my son would use a can and the only question that was ever asked about noise was what is that tinking sound that was going on all afternoon yesterday? My dad suggested laying a piece of conveyor belt on the back of the trap and almost silent after that..
It's almost uncivilized to shoot nowdays without a can..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A rimfire can and a vintage Detroit bullet trap works well in today's environment.
Even when we shot lots of rimfire in Dotsonville my son would use a can and the only question that was ever asked about noise was what is that tinking sound that was going on all afternoon yesterday? My dad suggested laying a piece of conveyor belt on the back of the trap and almost silent after that..
It's almost uncivilized to shoot nowdays without a can..

Truth be told...it's all the 7.62x54r I shoot. That chit be noisy..

black dog

Free America
I could shoot .22s all day long. I just need it to put a hole in the target, it doesn't even have to be a very large hole.

I'm with you, we shoot cases of 22's every year.
I'm signed up to shoot a few long range 22 shots at Atterbury this summer & fall. Out to 250 yards.. lol.. that outta be interesting.. The friends on mine that shot it last year said it was hallarious.. and frustrating..