Police Investigating Shooting on Patuxent Naval Air Station – All Gates are CLOSED!

1:45 pm Gates reopened; base back to normal operation.

1:15 pm Update from Base News: Shots reported in Lovell Cove Housing. NAS Pax River emergency personnel are on site, and the scene has been declared secure. All personnel in Lovell Cove are directed to shelter in place until further notice for safety. All others avoid the location until further notice.

On Tuesday, September 6, 2022, at approximately 12:26 p.m., emergency medical personnel from St. Mary’s County was dispatched to the 22000 block of Chaffee Circle on the Naval Base, for a assist police / medical call.
While responding to assist, shots were fired and all fire and rescue units were ordered to stage away from the area.
Maryland State Police Helicopter Trooper 7 has landed on an airfield on the base awaiting patient information.
At least one victim has been shot and has serious injuries.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I though Naval and Military bases were supposed to be gun free zones expect for on duty personnel?

UPDATE @ 1:48 p.m.: Lovell Cove scene is secured – shelter in place and base operations returning to normal with all base gates open as of 1:45 p.m.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Only if you live in base housing or during hunting season. Even if you have a ccw you can’t carry at the office.
Was less restricted when we were in, but that was pre-9/11 era.
When we were at Norwich U. (military college in Vermont) every cadet could get an arms locker in the building housing the rifle and pistol range.
Upperclassmen could keep handguns in their room.

Bare-ya-cuda

Was less restricted when we were in, but that was pre-9/11 era.
When we were at Norwich U. (military college in Vermont) every cadet could get an arms locker in the building housing the rifle and pistol range.
Upperclassmen could keep handguns in their room.
When I was active here i knew a few in base housing that didn’t register their guns with base security. I would imagine there are quite a few others as well. They really have no way of knowing unless you get searched while transporting them, neighbor reports, or in this case you shoot someone.