Police shoot and kill teenager with air soft gun in St Marys

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Federal law actually currently requires all airsoft guns being sold or imported into the US have a minimum 6mm orange tip and it’s illegal to remove this tip.
The wording of the law and definition of "look-alike firearm" states
15USC5001 said:
(c) “Look-alike firearm” defined
For purposes of this section, the term “look-alike firearm” means any imitation of any original firearm which was manufactured, designed, and produced since 1898, including and limited to toy guns, water guns, replica nonguns, and air-soft guns firing nonmetallic projectiles. Such term does not include any look-alike, nonfiring, collector replica of an antique firearm developed prior to 1898, or traditional B–B, paint-ball, or pellet-firing air guns that expel a projectile through the force of air pressure.
So if a projectile is expelled then the tip is not required.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Saw a post on Facebook which started with the message about the young man from his family.
By all accounts a good kid. I deference to the family I think any speculation on the case should be held until the final report is released.
I think this applies to the officer(s) involved. I'm sure they are as upset as anyone in taking the life of a child.

But he's not the first child that's been killed by law enforcement when they were seen with a realistic looking toy - hate to call a BB gun or Air Soft gun a toy. But there is a reason the law requires that orange tip on the barrel.

I think the public needs to be educated on one thing, how law enforcement officers are trained.
For the most part they don't pull their service weapon at every stop. I heard at one time that most officers only have used their gun on the target range. Rarely if ever pulled in the line of duty. BUT, when they do it's to respond to a perceived threat. They have very little time to react. Right or wrong, when they issue an order, STOP and DROP what you have in your hands, don't make a threatening move.
In our active shooter and terrorism training, we are told to stay down until told to move by rescuers. When they enter the room the good guys aren't wearing bright green vests to distinguish them from the threat(s).

Make that part clear to people, particularly children. I had toy guns and I will tell you that if I pointed that cap pistol at an adult in a "threatening" manner I would have had my ass whipped. It's not the gun or availability of guns, it's the lack of knowledge and proper training.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
It includes airsoft guns in the required section though...the ones that fire plastic pellets
Right, but if it is designed to expel a metallic projectile (like a BB/pellet gun) then the colored "plug" is not required. And I am sure that as used in the law the term "airsoft" does not refer to a specific brand but to those that expel plastic or rubber projectiles versus those that expel metallic projectiles.

rmorse

Right, but if it is designed to expel a metallic projectile (like a BB/pellet gun) then the colored "plug" is not required. And I am sure that as used in the law the term "airsoft" does not refer to a specific brand but to those that expel plastic or rubber projectiles versus those that expel metallic projectiles.

I just assumed all airsoft guns were rubber and the metal ones were BB guns. Shows how little I know then lol

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I just assumed all airsoft guns were rubber

Airsoft pellets are typically hard little plastic rounds...having had a couple sons in to that sport for a while, I still find them lying around the property..LOL. Youngest son left this behind...easy to tell from the real thing, right? The detail on these is amazing.

PeoplesElbow

I own an airsoft gun but I made sure it wasn't a realistic looking one. Didn't want anyone to freak out when they see me using it to harass tree vermin.

rmorse

Airsoft pellets are typically hard little plastic rounds...having had a couple sons in to that sport for a while, I still find them lying around the property..LOL. Youngest son left this behind...easy to tell from the real thing, right? The detail on these is amazing.

View attachment 156475

I actually meant to type plastic not rubber lol. But yea, the detail is ridiculous

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Then there is this. I'm betting that at morning briefings officers are admonished to always default that anything pointed at them is an operative weapon, and to act accordingly.

Since this officer was a uniformed Trooper, I'm thinking he was wearing a video camera. Have to wait to see that footage before passing judgement.

Also, another good reason to have firearm safety classes taught in schools.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I may ...

Then there is this. I'm betting that at morning briefings officers are admonished to always default that anything pointed at them is an operative weapon, and to act accordingly.

Since this officer was a uniformed Trooper, I'm thinking he was wearing a video camera. Have to wait to see that footage before passing judgement.

Also, another good reason to have firearm safety classes taught in schools.

That was only a matter of time. Only dumb people say, "Well the non-lethal guns should be a certain color so cops know...." because it takes no effort to modify a real gun to look like that. Of course then those dumb people will say, "Well they should make modifying a gun against the law....." :roflmao:

As someone said earlier, the best way to not get shot by a cop is to not point a weapon - real or toy - at them. Duh.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That was only a matter of time. Only dumb people say, "Well the non-lethal guns should be a certain color so cops know...." because it takes no effort to modify a real gun to look like that. .
Real guns are finished with a wide array of colors these days...including pink.

black dog

Free America

View attachment 156475

Yep, my son has three from his childhood, a 226 a 700 and a MP5 and none have a orange tip.

mdff21

That is so incredibly foolish to sell them like that. Toy guns need to be painted bright orange in a significant manner so there is no mistaking them at a reasonable distance. If there ever was a justified cause for a lawsuit (against the manufacturer), this is it, IMO.

To make things clear. Toy guns have a red/orange tip at the end of the barrel to identify them as toys, which are sometimes altered (removed/painted black) by the owner of it. BB/Airsoft gun are not toys. A projectile comes out of the barrel and can injure or maim what it hits. I have a friend that lost an eye due to being shot with one of the Airsoft guns. What would you do if some one started walking towards you and pulled out one of these and pointed it at you? These guns are modeled after the real thing and when a LEO has one pointed at him only has split seconds to make a decision. Any decision made could be a fatal one for either the person with the gun or the LEO.