Polishing my boots

K

Katie

I need to polish my field boots for the show this weekend. Any products better than others?

fredsaid2

Katie said:
I need to polish my field boots for the show this weekend. Any products better than others?

I use the Kiwi polish in the tin, not so much on the inside calf, then buff w/ old pantyhose for a high shine.

dustin

UAIOE
there is this stuff guys used to use on their boots (some still do) that is like a glaze you paint on, then stick the boots in an oven to cure. for the life of me i cant remember what it was called. but it would stay shiny black for a REALLY long time, metallic-like even...

some of the other military guys now what i'm talking about...

smoothmarine187

The best way to get your boots to shine, is to pop open the tin and light it on fire. Let it burn for awhile, then once a lot of it has turned to liquid you can put it on your boots and buff them to a nice shine.

warneckutz

smoothmarine187 said:
The best way to get your boots to shine, is to pop open the tin and light it on fire. Let it burn for awhile, then once a lot of it has turned to liquid you can put it on your boots and buff them to a nice shine.

Doesn't all the cooling and re-heating destroy the polish? :confused:

Carm

I got a horse again!! :)
Leather clinic

Hi Guys! I went to a leather care clinic once and the expert said never heat leather to speed the absorbtion of oil. I don't know why, that's just what he said. He recomended a boot polish but I don't remember what it was. It's been years. Another tip was never wash and oil leather the same day. Let it dry over night at room temp then oil the next day. Oiling leather that is even slightly damp will make it sticky. I know this is true kus I've made that mistake. For bridles, saddles and other leather he recomended neatsfoot oil. Make sure it's not neatsfoot compound. Apply it with bare fingers. Only put as much on as will absorb in 24 hours, adding more each day as needed. Another tip I learned somewhere else is Murphys oil soap is safe to use to clean leather. I've been using it for years and my leather is in great shape, so don't worry.
Hope this helps :)