Politics is Downstream From Culture

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

University's 'Non-Sexist' Language Guide Insists No One is Rightly a 'Maintenance Man'

Beyond illustrating such lightning-rate change, the page provides readable resources. One of those is the school’s Practical Guide to Non-Sexist Language, and that handbook takes the “man” out of “manual.” At least, such a move would presumably be approved.

A few words to be axed from American vocabulary:

• craftsmanship (use “craftship”)
  • sportsmanship (use “sportship”)
  • penmanship (use “script”)
  • workmanlike (use “well-executed”)

More words/phrases and their proper replacements:

• man and wife –> husband and wife
  • black tie gala –> semiformal
  • founding fathers –> founders
  • master’s degree –> graduate degree
  • lady luck –> luck
  • alderman –> ward representative
  • landlord –> owner

Don’t point out that someone is female:

• woman’s intuition –> hunch
  • actress –> actor
  • heroine –> hero
  • priestess –> priest
  • bachelorette –> single
  • suffragette –> suffragist

A drum major is not at all a majorette, but no matter:

• majorette –> drum major

And where repair and maintenance are concerned, you’re mandated not to include “man”:

• handyman –> odd-job worker
  • maintenance man –> maintenance worker

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Cis person won’t buy game so as not to encourage J.K. Rowling ‘to continue her horrific crusade’

We’re not a gaming site, but there’s been a lot of hand-wringing over the new “Harry Potter” video game, “Hogwarts Legacy.” Last month, Brianna Wu said that it wasn’t a game but rather “a character test” that a lot of people were about to fail. IGN gave the game a 9 out of 10 but added a disclaimer, saying “whether it’s ethical to play is a separate but still very important question.”

Blue-check cis person Lauren Ingram won’t be buying a copy of the game, just so you know.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

The American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ) filed the lawsuit on Monday in the federal district court for the District of Columbia on behalf of nine students and three parents it says were “unlawfully targeted for their religious pro-life views” on January 20, 2023.

According to the complaint, students, parents, and chaperones from Our Lady of the Rosary Church and School in South Carolina went to the museum following the March for Life. The group members were wearing hats that said, “Rosary Pro-Life.”

“Following their participation in the March for Life event, Plaintiffs visited the NASM whereby all Plaintiffs were subjected to a pattern of ongoing misconduct by at least five different staff, personnel, employees and/or security guards of NASM including Defendants Jane Does and John Does, which included targeting, harassment, discrimination and, ultimately, eviction from NASM simply because they wore blue hats with the inscription, ‘Rosary Pro-Life,’” the complaint states.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Woke Activist Tries To Harass Sci-Fi Con Into Banning Larry Correia, He Fires Back

Shortly after the announcement, Madison Metricula Roberts, a woman who has been accused of harassing conservative and libertarian authors before, replied, stating her concern for Correia’s appearance.

“I don’t think he’s an appropriate choice given the usual tone and inclusiveness of MarsCon,” she wrote.

2023.02.04-04.15-boundingintocomics-63de848d4746b.png

Madison Metricula Roberts posing in the MarsCon Facebook group

stgislander

PREMO Member

University's 'Non-Sexist' Language Guide Insists No One is Rightly a 'Maintenance Man'

Beyond illustrating such lightning-rate change, the page provides readable resources. One of those is the school’s Practical Guide to Non-Sexist Language, and that handbook takes the “man” out of “manual.” At least, such a move would presumably be approved.

A few words to be axed from American vocabulary:

More words/phrases and their proper replacements:

Don’t point out that someone is female:

A drum major is not at all a majorette, but no matter:

And where repair and maintenance are concerned, you’re mandated not to include “man”:
Since when is "black tie gala" semiformal?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

How the Transgender Activist Mob Attacking 'Hogwarts Legacy' Reveal Their Ineptitude and Insecurity

That’s just the beginning of their aforementioned insecurities and ineptitude–as one clever TikToker pointed out and I’ll elaborate on below.

It’s insecurity that causes them to be herded like sheep in the first place and act like bullies online. Their life online, where everything is curated and things are happening all the time, convinces them that they’re living a life that is less meaningful. They adopt the ideas of the mob because they see these “revolutionary” ideas and the “progressiveness” they’ve been painted as. They see the fight for it as an inevitable and moral turning of the page, and they figure if they’re fighting hard for it, then they might actually matter as a person. They can be the people whom others turn to for knowledge and moral guidance because they are riding the crest of the modern wave.

But their activism is really slacktivism. This is seen pretty clearly in the case of “Hogwarts Legacy.” Allow me to explain.

For one, these transgender activists and their bleating allies are protesting the game because it’s attached to a “transphobe.” Yet, they have no problem doing all their bleating by using a platform belonging to Elon Musk, a man they claim is also a transphobe. For all their principles about the game, they seem to lose track of them when it comes to their social media presence.

And why not? Without Twitter, they wouldn’t be seen being a warrior for social justice. And that’s what’s important.

We can go even further to show their ineptitude, however.

J.K. Rowling’s sources of income don’t stop at book sales or video games. Did you know that Rowling gets a cut of anything that has the Wizarding World attached to it at Universal Studios? The author gets a slice of the pie, from the ticket sales down to the drinks served.

Why aren’t they protesting outside of Universal Studios? Why aren’t they berating or attacking people trying to get in to participate in the magic while fattening Rowling’s pockets?

It’s because firstly, they’d actually have to leave their bedrooms and show their faces to the people in person, and secondly, they would have to confront these people where they can, themselves, be confronted. Without the aid and comfort of the mob, they run the risk of being isolated and — horror of horrors — exposed to reality.

The same could be said of the LEGO toys, which has a deal with Warner Bros, which sends money to Rowling whenever a brick is sold that relates to Harry Potter. Why aren’t the activists strapping on their Velcro shoes and protesting outside LEGO HQ?

For all the same reasons they aren’t at Universal Studios.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Hate Woke TV? Dump Disney and Go All in on Masterpiece Theatre (and One Show in Particular)

Okay, okay. Let’s dispense with two things right off the bat: 1. I know you’re not watching woke TV. You all were done with that nonsense a long time ago. 2. Yes, Masterpiece Theatre is part of the dreaded PBS (defund, defund!), but I don’t have cable and subscribe to Masterpiece through Amazon Prime Video. That way, I get only the top-notch Masterpiece shows and none of PBS’ other dreadful programming.

There’s also a third point of order: Yes, that headline and this post 100 percent mean I’ve turned into my parents. No apologies, I am loving (almost) everything Masterpiece is putting out these days, and my current favorite is the new iteration of “All Creatures Great and Small.” If I remember correctly, the first iteration aired on PBS back in the 70s and 80s? I had grade school friends who were big fans of the show and the series of books by author James Herriott, but these friends also liked Greek mythology and Dungeons & Dragons, something I and my big, feathered-back hair didn’t get.

Well, maybe I get it now. We’re living in the digital age where we’re bombarded 24/7 with information and misinformation and disinformation, and all that dreck greatly heightens the appeal of good, old-fashioned storytelling. A lot of people embraced simplicity during the lockdown years because it was comforting during a time of great chaos; you couldn’t find yeast anywhere because everyone was making bread from scratch and getting back to the basics. Luckily for us, shows like the rebooted “All Creatures Great and Small” go hand in hand with that renewed craving for the simple things in life.

If, like me, you’re newer to the story, “All Creatures Great and Small” is an autobiography of James Herriott’s life as a veterinarian in the very picturesque Yorkshire dales in northern England. The story begins in the 1930s, with England still recovering from its World War I losses, yet on the brink of the next big war. Herriott is a brand new vet and joins a veterinary practice run by WWI veteran (and vet!) Siegfried Farnon. Herriott takes up residence in Farnon’s house and becomes a part of the extended family that lives there — the housekeeper, Farnon’s younger brother, and a menagerie of animals.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

TRAGIC: Salma Hayek’s Sexiness Kept Her From Getting Every Job She Ever Wanted

“In a room heady with the scent of burning fig candles, Hayek Pinault, dressed in a black crochet cardigan and fuzzy platform sliders, appears supernatural,” Pym writes. “At her feet her bleach-white dog, Lobito (meaning ‘little wolf’), is eyeing the plate of emoji-perfect chocolate chip cookies on the table between us.”

After a little bit more introduction, the interview gets going and Hayek begins relaying some of the hardships that she, a sexy woman, has had to face.

“I was typecast for a long time,” Hayek tells Pym. “My entire life I wanted to do comedy and people wouldn’t give me comedies. I couldn’t land a role until I met Adam Sandler, who put me in a comedy [2010’s Grown Ups], but I was in my forties! They said, ‘You’re sexy, so you’re not allowed to have a sense of humour.’”

And towards the end of the article Hayek talks about a recently released male stripper movie in which she stars. “More than being a movie about an older woman falling in love with a younger guy, it’s about a middle-aged woman that has a lot of potential and is sick of being undermined her entire life.” Is there subtext in that statement? Perhaps.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Trans Activists Urge Boycott Of ‘Hogwarts Legacy’ Video Game Despite J.K. Rowling Not Being Involved

TheGamer editor Stacey Henley congratulated herself for “not covering Hogwarts Legacy with a review,” and argued that taking an “all that matters is how fun a game is” philosophy to game reviews is “actively damaging to professional journalism.”

GamesHub reviewer Percy Ranson, who identifies as transgender, also refused to review the game.

“Hogwarts Legacy cannot and should not be judged solely on its own merits, because the end result of supporting this game financially and socially isn’t simply a matter of how much you’ll enjoy it, or how nostalgic it might be to experience the world of Harry Potter,” Ranson wrote.

“If you purchase this game – if you praise its qualities and encourage others to ‘support the developers’ or ‘treat yourself to a guilty pleasure’ – you are making a choice that will harm the transgender community, whether you want to admit it or not,” the review continued, also citing the example of Rowling’s potential royalty checks.

Some outlets did choose to review the game with reluctance.

“As critics, our job is to answer the question of whether or not we find Hogwarts Legacy to be fun to play and why,” a disclaimer on the IGN review says. “Whether it’s ethical to play is a separate but still very important question.”

The British pop culture website NME also gave Hogwarts Legacy a review while noting that it was “not an endorsement of Rowling’s opinions or comments,” while providing a link to LGBTQ charities.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I saw a new controversy today. It appears there is one scenario in the game that references an anti-Jewish pogrom in Frankfurt in 1614, with goblins being the oppressors.