Politics is Downstream From Culture

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Steven Spielberg Regrets Editing Guns Out of ‘E.T.,’ Says ‘No Film Should Be Revised’ for Today’s Standards: ‘That Was a Mistake’

The film’s 1982 theatrical cut includes a scene of officers chasing young kids with firearms. Spielberg edited the guns out for the 20th anniversary release of the film and replaced the firearms with walkie talkies.

“That was a mistake,” Spielberg said. “I never should have done that. ‘E.T.’ is a product of its era. No film should be revised based on the lenses we now are, either voluntarily, or being forced to peer through.”

“‘E.T.’ was a film that I was sensitive to the fact that the federal agents were approaching kids with firearms exposed and I thought I would change the guns into walkie talkies… Years went by and I changed my own views,” Spielberg continued. “I should have never messed with the archives of my own work, and I don’t recommend anyone do that. All our movies are a kind of a signpost of where we were when we made them, what the world was like and what the world was receiving when we got those stories out there. So I really regret having that out there.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
An official said that Nashville Christian School “has established dress requirements for daily school attendance and at our special events. All students and families are aware of and sign an agreement to these guidelines when they enroll.”

The school added that the expectations for prom attire were communicated to the student and her family before the event.

“Expectations regarding appropriate prom attire were communicated to this student and the student’s family in advance of the prom,” the statement continued. “While we certainly respect a student’s right to disagree, all of our students know from our school handbook that when they do not follow such expectations at school-sponsored events, they may be asked to leave.”

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Steven Spielberg Regrets Editing Guns Out of ‘E.T.,’ Says ‘No Film Should Be Revised’ for Today’s Standards: ‘That Was a Mistake’

The film’s 1982 theatrical cut includes a scene of officers chasing young kids with firearms. Spielberg edited the guns out for the 20th anniversary release of the film and replaced the firearms with walkie talkies.

“That was a mistake,” Spielberg said. “I never should have done that. ‘E.T.’ is a product of its era. No film should be revised based on the lenses we now are, either voluntarily, or being forced to peer through.”

“‘E.T.’ was a film that I was sensitive to the fact that the federal agents were approaching kids with firearms exposed and I thought I would change the guns into walkie talkies… Years went by and I changed my own views,” Spielberg continued. “I should have never messed with the archives of my own work, and I don’t recommend anyone do that. All our movies are a kind of a signpost of where we were when we made them, what the world was like and what the world was receiving when we got those stories out there. So I really regret having that out there.”
My cousin Lauren helped make one of the stars in that movie.
1682703691968.png

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Sadly, late-night comedy has now deteriorated into a series of leftist infomercials. Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel, and Jimmy Fallon are just looking to get applause breaks for scoring political points. Fallon resisted for a while but was finally shamed into becoming a shill for the Democrats. James Corden didn’t do politics on The Late Late Show, but his tenure there (which wrapped up this week) took the show in a direction that just didn’t do much for me.

As regular readers of my Morning Briefing know, I’m a belated fan of Craig Ferguson’s years as host of The Late Late Show, which I am discovering thanks to YouTube. Ferguson had that young Letterman goofy energy and he never, ever took himself too seriously.

Greg Gutfeld still has a good time doing his thing on the Fox News Channel, but who knows what’s going to happen at the network after what went down with Tucker Carlson this week. Gutfeld’s success is all the more stunning given the HUGE disparity in overall audience size between cable and the Big Three networks. It’s a real David and Goliath ratings story.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
🔥 Netflix’s super-woke, re-imagined, expensive, dramatic documentary series “Cleopatra” is not doing well with either audiences OR critics:

Link.

It’s not just that the woke documentary filmmakers flipped Cleopatra’s race, black-washing her and erasing her identity, which aggravated some people because the show is billed as a documentary, but worse, they also turned Cleopatra into an indescribably implausible warrior queen, some kind of action heroine that kicked butt all over Egypt.

Maybe they gave her testosterone injections?

For context, here’s a snip from one of the ultra-rare 5-star reviews, which accidentally tells the whole story of why you should NOT watch the show:

Well, alrighty then. Netflix has spoken. Never mind all those teachers and history books. This is what you can look forward to, if you venture into Netflix’s feverish ideological imagination: you will learn that the Roman Empire was totally incompetent.

Netflix may not have much time left. You know where these companies go after they get woke.

Clem72

At least they didn't have ET shoot first.

Clem72

That's not fair. I read hundreds of books a year but I never remember the names. Hell I can't tell you the name of the book that I am reading right now since I read on kindle and it doesn't display the name unless I exit the book to my library.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I read an article today about how Netflix needs to cut $300 Million from their spending in order to survive.

Last edited:

Clem72

I read an article today about hoe Netflix needs to cut $300 Million from their spending in order to survive.
First result when I checked how much netflix spends on new content:
Variety.com said:
Last year, the streamer paid out $16.7 billion on a cash basis for content, which was 4.6% less than in 2021, when it shelled out $17.5 billion, according to Netflix's financial statements released Thursday for its fourth-quarter earnings report

So it seems like it shouldn't be a problem for them to trim the fat by $300m. Hell they cancel almost every show after the first or second season anyways so who would notice if they cancel one or two more.

Another search turned up a result that they cancelled 9 shows this year (seems low) included a critically acclaimed Lockwood and Co. (Rotten Tomatoes says 92% Tomatometer and 94% average audience score, basically one of Netflix's highest rated shows ever).

So who knows that the hell that company is thinking.