Politics of Covid-19

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Biden Mocks Texas And Mississippi For Reopening, Dropping Mask Mandates: ‘Neanderthal Thinking’

“I think it’s a big mistake,” Biden said in a response to a question about the two states. “Look, I hope everybody’s realized by now these masks make a difference. We are on the cusp of being able to fundamentally change the nature of this disease because of the way in which we’re able to get vaccines in people’s arms. We’ve been able to move that all the way up to the end of May to have enough for every American, to get every adult American to get a shot.”

“The last thing, the last thing we need is Neanderthal thinking that in mean time everything’s fine, take off your mask,” Biden continued. “Forget it. It’s still matters. … And it’s critical, critical, critical, critical that they follow the science. Wash your hands, hot water, do it frequently. Wear a mask and stay socially distance. And I know you all know that, I wish the heck some of our elected officials knew it.”'

[clip]

However, Biden failed to acknowledge that Texas Governor Greg Abbott, a Republican, never instructed people to no longer wear their masks. Rather, Abbott said that “despite these changes” that “removing state mandates does not end personal responsibility or the importance of caring for your family members and caring for your friends and caring for others in your community.”

“Personal vigilance to follow the safe standards is still needed to contain COVID,” Abbott said. “It’s just that now state mandates are no longer needed. To stay safe, Texans should continue following medical advice on preventing COVID just as they do on other medical issues.”

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Biden Mocks Texas And Mississippi For Reopening, Dropping Mask Mandates: ‘Neanderthal Thinking’

“I think it’s a big mistake,” Biden said in a response to a question about the two states. “Look, I hope everybody’s realized by now these masks make a difference. We are on the cusp of being able to fundamentally change the nature of this disease because of the way in which we’re able to get vaccines in people’s arms. We’ve been able to move that all the way up to the end of May to have enough for every American, to get every adult American to get a shot.”

“The last thing, the last thing we need is Neanderthal thinking that in mean time everything’s fine, take off your mask,” Biden continued. “Forget it. It’s still matters. … And it’s critical, critical, critical, critical that they follow the science. Wash your hands, hot water, do it frequently. Wear a mask and stay socially distance. And I know you all know that, I wish the heck some of our elected officials knew it.”'

[clip]

However, Biden failed to acknowledge that Texas Governor Greg Abbott, a Republican, never instructed people to no longer wear their masks. Rather, Abbott said that “despite these changes” that “removing state mandates does not end personal responsibility or the importance of caring for your family members and caring for your friends and caring for others in your community.”

“Personal vigilance to follow the safe standards is still needed to contain COVID,” Abbott said. “It’s just that now state mandates are no longer needed. To stay safe, Texans should continue following medical advice on preventing COVID just as they do on other medical issues.”

What’s Karen going to do when she hasn’t got the law to enforce her paranoia.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Democrat Governor ‘Dramatically Rolls Back’ Coronavirus Restrictions After Biden Attacked Republicans For Similar Moves

“Most of the changes will go into effect on March 19, with several more coming down the line over the following two weeks,” the Hartford Courant reported. “The decision comes as President Joe Biden warns states not to move fast on reopening. Lamont said the decision was a result of Connecticut’s dropping COVID-19 metrics.”

A statement from the governor’s office said that while many of the measures are being rolled back, protocols about wearing face coverings, social distancing, and sanitation measures are still being kept in place.

All capacity limits in Connecticut are being eliminated on March 19 for restaurants, retail outlets, libraries, personal services, indoor recreation, gyms, museums, zoos, offices, and places of worship. On March 29, capacity limits on early childhood classes will increase from 16 to 20. On April 2, outdoor amusement parks can open, outdoor venues can increase to a 50% capacity with a maximum 10,000 people, and indoor stadiums can open to 10% capacity.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Patrick also commented that true “Neanderthal thinking” would be more apropos of California Democrat Governor Gavin Newsom “telling his people not to come out of their cave for a year” and New York Democrat Governor Andrew Cuomo “sending patients with COVID to nursing homes” and then covering up the true number of nursing home deaths. Patrick reeled off a list of 15 states besides Texas and Mississippi that didn’t have a mask mandate, snapping, “Let Joe Biden remember that off the top of his head; he couldn’t get by the second state.”

Speaking with Patrick on Thursday, Fox News host Harris Faulkner said of Biden, “He called what you are doing in Texas and what’s happening in the state of Mississippi ‘Neanderthal thinking.’ What is your reaction to that?”

“Well, what I would call ‘Neanderthal thinking’ would be Governor (Gavin) Newsom in California telling his people not to come out of their cave for a year,” Patrick replied. “I would call ‘Neanderthal thinking” the Democrat governor (Andrew) Cuomo of New York sending patients with COVID to nursing homes, where he covered up 12,000 people dying. And as (Texas GOP) Governor (Greg) Abbott mentioned, I would call ‘Neanderthal thinking” of allowing people across the border illegally with COVID, tested positive and put them on a bus.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Doctors Starting to Offer Louder Dissents to the CDC’s Recent Decisions

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are not having a great week.
First, in USA Today, a group of doctors is accusing the CDC of misinterpreting their research and using it to downplay the need to reopen schools, contending the CDC guidance on reopening schools is an “example of fears influencing and resulting in misinterpretation of science and harmful policy.”
The guidance does not take into account the data we have regarding little disease transmission in schools. Nor, although the guidance cites the work performed across Wisconsin districts performed by our group and published in the MMWR, does it take that data and new analyses from that dataset into account. Keeping schools closed or even partially closed, based on what we know now is unwarranted, is harming children, and has become a human rights issue.
Second, the airline industry argues that the CDC guidelines for vaccinated people issued this week make no sense because they still discourage vaccinated people from traveling. Unvaccinated people are traveling while wearing masks now; why would it be considered particularly risky for vaccinated people to do the same while wearing masks on airplanes, etc.?

Third, Dr. Leana Wen — the former health commissioner of Baltimore and short-lived head of Planned Parenthood* — writes in the Washington Post that the recently issued guidelines “are too timid and too limited, and they fail to tie reopening guidance with vaccination status. As a result, the CDC missed a critical opportunity to incentivize Americans to be vaccinated.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Whitmer’s Michigan State Health Department Refuses To Release Nursing Home COVID Death Data

On Tuesday, the Mackinac Center Legal Foundation filed a lawsuit on behalf of Michigan Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist Charlie LeDuff to force the MDHHS to comply with a Freedom of Information Act request to release data on nursing homes.

“Given the recent nursing home policy failures in other states, the need for transparency has become even more critical,” Holly Wetzel, a spokeswoman for the Mackinac Center told The Federalist. “We are disappointed in the consistent lack of transparency demonstrated by the governor’s administration and hope that both MDHHS and Gov. Whitmer bring clarity by voluntarily providing the information we are seeking.”

LeDuff, according to the complaint, first requested aggregate data on Michigan’s death count in late January, which was promptly denied an hour later by state officials claiming a violation of privacy laws. After a back-and-forth with the public health department, LeDuff simplified his request to include merely the age of those who died from COVID, the dates of their death, the date their death was added to the statewide toll, and whether the deceased were infected at a long-term care facility.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
How the West Lost COVID
How did so many rich countries get it so wrong? How did others get it so right?

Even within America, the coronavirus hasn’t precisely cooperated with the spirit of determinism. The highest per capita death rate, for instance, is not found in Texas but in New Jersey. Through the devastating fall surge, a poll found that 90 percent of American adults were wearing a mask “sometimes, often, or always.” Close contacts in states with heavy restrictions were not dramatically higher than in laissez-faire places, and even draconian lockdowns produced, typically, plateaus or slow caseload declines, not rapid descent to zero. There are, within the U.S., a few relative success stories—Hawaii, notably, has registered almost no excess mortality. But death rates in Florida, proudly one of the loosest states, are hardly any higher than they are in California, self-flagellatingly one of the strictest.

None of this is especially surprising to epidemiologists, who have spent whole careers swimming in viral uncertainty. The rest of us are left to shout in bafflement, How can this be? “I took this question for like two months, basically, to every expert I know in California,” says Soumya Karlamangla, the reporter at the Los Angeles Times most deeply embedded in the Southern California pandemic, who’d become somewhat obsessed with trying to explain the contrast, seemingly paradoxical, with Florida. “I’d just ask them over and over. And the thing I kept hearing from these experts was something I was kind of surprised by. They don’t know. They just don’t have a good explanation.” My experience has been largely the same. When I asked Shane Crotty, a virologist at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology in San Diego, if he had a sense of why the country’s worst autumn surge had come in Southern California, a place without a traditional autumn, his short answer was: “No, I don’t.”

This is not to say that policy and behavior don’t matter — only that containing a novel disease we understand incompletely is not as simple as hitting the “Science” button. The mitigation measures on which the country has focused the most — masking, social distancing, school closures, restaurant restrictions — are curve-benders, not firewalls. And many of the factors playing a much larger role in shaping the spread of the pandemic fit much less comfortably in a technocrat’s shoulder bag or a liberal’s scolding moralism.

[clip]

The recent collapse in American case numbers, for instance, came right after the New Year, in the middle of what the country had just been warned — by epidemiologists and the new president, in his inauguration speech — would likely be the pandemic’s darkest season. Looking back, you could find a few lonely voices suggesting winter would be calmer than autumn. But the CDC aggregates and showcases 26 pedigreed models predicting the near-term course of the disease. On January 18, only two of the 26 showed the dramatic case decline the country experienced by February 1 as being within what’s called the 95 percent confidence interval. In other words, 24 of the 26 models said what ended up happening over just the next two weeks was, more or less, statistically impossible. The other two gave it, at best, a sliver of a chance.

So Much for Science ......

' They Just Don't Know '

What an incitement of the malfeasance of the lockdown crowd

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
There are many diseases and other things that can hurt you, and so we look to the math of getting sick and dying from COVID. Here it is. So far, statistically there is a 91% chance of not getting COVID, and if you get it, and you’re not in an elder care facility, a 99% chance of not dying from it. This math should help you put the danger of COVID into a proper perspective and help you decide if you want to take a chance on a vaccine that doesn’t yet have a history for its long term effects. Additionally, these statistics should give you comfort that you and your loved ones are very unlikely to die of COVID.

It’s possible that you don’t know the facts I’m about to talk about because of the omission of information that doesn’t fit the official narrative or outright censorship in our media. For instance:

Early on, the CDC reported that the virus did not transfer well on hard surfaces. In the meantime the public was/is washing down everything with disinfectant. At golf courses, golfers couldn’t touch or remove flagsticks, ball washers were covered, and the rakes were removed from sand traps. At our condo, the elevators were/are disinfected every day. None of this was necessary, but helpful in creating and maintaining fear and panic in the public mind.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
GOP Senator: It Seems Like the Biden Admin Is Trying to 'Keep the Pandemic Going'

On "The Evening Edit" on Fox Business Monday night, Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-ND) said he is "perplexed" by the president's "lockdown mindset" that is doing our economy no favors.

"I am perplexed by this administration's desire to keep this pandemic going," Cramer said. "We spent the last year plus trying to get rid of the pandemic. These guys seem to be elongating it. They want to spread their misery."
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahb...rant-children-n2586309?utm_campaign=inarticle
He mused that Biden was putting too much stake in what House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Dr. Anthony Fauci tell him.

Cramer was confident that Gov. DeSantis knows far better than anyone in Washington whether Florida is ready to be open. That goes for the other 49 sovereign states too.

"I hope people get on airplanes and go to Florida," Cramer said. "I know I'm going to."

I'm not a continued pandemic gives the Eichmann's Power over the Plebes

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
More Victories for Florida and DeSantis -- School Data Shows Lowered COVID Activity

During the pandemic, the media have been operating in a paradox. While members of the press declare the need to keep the public informed and adhering to the principles of science and medicine — all in the name of safety — they behave in the opposite fashion, politicizing pandemic details and doing what is needed to keep their mask-mandates and lockdowns in effect. Often this was done while ignoring or even defying the science.

This tactic is now further exposed with the continuing good news coming out of Florida. The Wall Street Journal has a new report that shows the schools in the state have not become the dangerous incubators of COVID outbreaks as the unions and many in the press had promised. This becomes the latest example of the proper handling of the pandemic from the state that defies becoming a super spreader hotspot and serves as another reason for Ron DeSantis to maintain his aggressive defensive approach with the media.

DeSantis arranged for the schools to be reopened last fall, with options provided and numerous safeguards put into place in the name of blunting a viral spread. By January, even more restrictions on schools were taken down, and the results have been more than encouraging; they are defying almost all predictions. There have been few — if any — major outbreaks seen in schools, and the case rates have been shown to be lower than in the locations of the schools themselves.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
One Of The Lockdowns’ Greatest Casualties Could Be Science

Dr. Scott Atlas served as a special advisor to the president on COVID policy between July and November 2020. This would be a difficult job in normal circumstances when the science is more mature.

With his background in public health policy, Atlas’s advice emphasized balancing risks imposed by viral spread against collateral public health harms from the lockdowns in a rapidly changing scientific and policy environment. Scientists who did not share his views had every opportunity to do so responsibly by reporting scientific facts and conjectures and engaging with his ideas.

Instead, the Journal of the American Medical Association—the flagship medical journal in the United States—published an opinion article defaming him without engaging his actual scientific views. The editors of the journal then refused to publish letters supporting Atlas.

Contrary to his critics, Atlas got the science right. The highest COVID-19 mortality risk is among nursing home residents. Atlas worked to ensure federal support for frequent and rapid testing of nursing home staff, residents, and visitors. While not implemented everywhere, this initiative alone saved innumerable lives.

Atlas worked hard to make masks available in nursing homes. Atlas was right to contradict former Centers for Disease Control director Dr. Robert Redfield’s false assertion that masks are more effective than vaccines. Atlas advocated for in-person schooling during the pandemic, a position that even pro-lockdown epidemiologists now endorse.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
You Can Link COVID With Any Country — Except China

It was a year ago today President Donald Trump was forced to defend using the phrase “Chinese virus” when referring to the novel coronavirus where its first outbreak occurred in central China.

“Why do you keep calling this the ‘Chinese virus?'” pressed ABC News’ Cecilia Vega at a White House briefing one day after another reporter used the precious time to make the same charge of racism in the form of a question. “A lot of people say it’s racist.”

Trump repeated himself from the day before.

“Because it comes from China,” Trump said plainly. “It’s not racist at all… It comes from China. That’s why. It comes from China. I want it to be accurate.”

The president was pressed again on the same issue in the same briefing by taxpayer-funded PBS reporter Yamiche Alcindor, who never wasted an opportunity to score points among the woke during televised press conferences. Alcindor was committed to the activism even if it meant repeating a pointless question already answered as the country faced a little-known virus.

Given the tragic outbreak of the novel Wuhan coronavirus is the first pandemic of our new exhaustively woke modern era, it’s unsurprising to see where the media’s priorities were in the early days of the public health emergency.