Politics of The Mask

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Orders a Mandate Against Mask Mandates – And It Gets Better From There

Texas Governor Greg Abbott just threw down the gauntlet to any tin-pot water commissioner, mayor, or school board member who wants to keep Texans wrapped up in a mask. He’s turned COVID mask mandates on their ear by prohibiting mask mandates by any governmental entity in the state.

That’s right, it’s a mandate against mask mandates.

He signed an emergency declaration on Tuesday announcing that Texans have a “liberty to choose” whether or not they’ll wear a mask.

We can continue to mitigate COVID-19 while defending Texans’ liberty to choose whether or not they mask up.
Imagine that: an elected leader who believes individuals can conduct their own affairs in a waning pandemic.

But, wait, it gets better.

Just to make sure liberal Travis County mask scolds don’t try any funny stuff, Abbott’s new rule says any governmental outfit requiring masks can be fined $1,000.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Brzezinski “clarified” that some parts of the country may not yet be ready to return to normal, arguing that the fully vaccinated should wear a mask around the non-vaccinated, even though the scientific evidence shows that the fully vaccinated do not spread the disease.

“I hear everything you’re saying. I do think, though, there needs to be some clarity that there are some pockets of the country that may not be ready,” she responded. “I’m here in Washington. In many ways, I’m here doing ‘Know your value’ interviews, but I’m working with a team here, and there is one person on the team who is not vaccinated. I’m wearing a mask around that person. You know, it is, really, if you want to follow the science, then there are times you need to still wear the mask. And that’s where I think it gets really confusing as we try and move forward as a country and put this pandemic behind us.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Colorado Bus Driver Admits To Slapping 10-Year-Old Girl In Face Over Mask

Bertram Jaquez, who has since been terminated, said in a written statement about the April incident that “Out of reaction, I slapped her once,” according to local KKTV.

Video obtained by the outlet depicts Jaquez arguing with the girl and demanding she wear her mask correctly. When she resists, he slaps her.

The girl recounted the incident for herself in a handwritten statement to the school, explaining that she didn’t want to wear the mask because it made her feel sick. She explained that after she had been slapped, she demanded to be let off the bus, but Jaquez kept driving.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Why Do So Many People Seem Disappointed That Mask Mandates Are Ending?

“People who are vaccinated can do much more with less risk than those who are not,” the New York Times concedes. “But vaccines do not offer 100 percent protection, and only about half of people in the region are fully vaccinated. As a result, some epidemiologists continue to recommend following the golden rules of coronavirus safety.”

But there is growing evidence that a fully vaccinated person has a better chance of getting hit by a car than catching COVID. And that puts the public health extremists in a bind.

We should mask up not to protect ourselves, not to demonstrate our political allegiance.

Reason:
The fact that the Times describes COVID-19 safeguards as “golden rules,” analogous to a timeless ethical principle, suggests that its advice is based on something other than rational, context-dependent concerns about virus transmission. Mask wearing and physical distancing, once presented as temporary responses to the pandemic that would no longer be necessary after the danger had passed, have been transformed into rituals that signify membership in a COVID-19 cult of caution.
As Reason‘s Robby Soave notes, that cult has strong partisan overtones. “The mask was supposed to be a temporary public health intervention,” he writes, “and it’s regrettable that for many people these little bands of cloth have become Team Blue’s version of the Make America Great Again hat.”

TPD

the poor dad
My beloved doctor is still wearing a mask even though she has been vaccinated. Here is her answer why: (should be qued up at the 28:37 mark)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Masking misanthropy

But the most common reason vaccinated people continue to wear masks, even after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said they were unneeded and after states and localities have dropped their mask mandates and after major retailers have, too, is distrust.

The argument goes like this: I am fully vaccinated, and I know masks don’t do anything for the fully vaccinated, but we’re now operating on the honor system. Over the past year of watching other people flout the social distancing rules I follow, I’ve come to trust people a lot less. So because I suspect many unmasked people are unvaccinated, I will continue to wear a mask for now.

The illogic here is manifold. For one thing, your mask is not there primarily to protect you, but to protect others from your exhalations. More importantly, if you are vaccinated, you are protected from any unvaccinated people who may be sick. The only people they are endangering are the other unvaccinated people.

A deep distrust of others trumps logic and science, though. So until we see other people as friends, neighbors, and children of God, expect to see less of other people's faces.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The People Behind The Masks

While the novelty of going maskless is gradually fading, my curiosity about those who still wear their masks has been piqued—especially today when I happened to find myself behind someone who was double-masked in the check-out line of the supermarket.

Seriously? What the hell, lady?

I heard of people double masking, and I’ve even seen COVID-19 virtue-signallers post double-masking selfies on social media, but I’d never actually seen a double-masker in the wild—at least not where I noticed.

And yet I couldn’t help wondering, was this person not vaccinated yet? To put it delicately, this person was in a “high priority” group for getting vaccinated, so I found it hard to believe that she hasn’t been able to get vaccinated yet if she didn’t want to. But, hey, maybe she hasn’t, for various reasons that I can’t understand. But, still, generally speaking, a majority of people I encounter in public are still wearing masks… which I find bizarre.

Most reports will tell you that many people who aren’t getting vaccinated are Trump voters… which also happens to be the group most likely not to want to wear a mask.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Husband Reportedly Refuses to Remove Mask - Even During Sex With Wife

When the CDC said that fully vaccinated people could now go without masks, one would think that those on the left who said “Follow the science” would have been happy. This meant they could drop the masks.

But instead, people who previously accepted the government dictates then refused to accept that one. Some refuse to accept that “science,” because it has been so ingrained in them that they need to wear them to be protected.

Perhaps nothing shows this more than a letter that was written into Slate by a woman asking for advice about her husband who refused to take off his mask. Even when they were in their home alone, even though both were fully vaccinated. He refused to take it off even when eating and sleeping, even when they were having sex, she said.
“During the pandemic, his terror about getting sick has reached new levels. For the last year, he has refused to take off his face mask, even when we are at home—just the two of us. This is true even now that he is fully vaccinated for the virus.
“He wears it to sleep, to do most of his bathroom activities, and, yes, even during lovemaking. To eat, he pulls it up to expose his mouth, and then quickly pulls it back down between bites. While he does not insist that I do the same, I can tell it bothers him that I don’t.”

Hijinx

Husband Reportedly Refuses to Remove Mask - Even During Sex With Wife

When the CDC said that fully vaccinated people could now go without masks, one would think that those on the left who said “Follow the science” would have been happy. This meant they could drop the masks.

But instead, people who previously accepted the government dictates then refused to accept that one. Some refuse to accept that “science,” because it has been so ingrained in them that they need to wear them to be protected.

Perhaps nothing shows this more than a letter that was written into Slate by a woman asking for advice about her husband who refused to take off his mask. Even when they were in their home alone, even though both were fully vaccinated. He refused to take it off even when eating and sleeping, even when they were having sex, she said.

I could maybe uinderstand his asking his wife to wear a mask during sex, we used to call them two baggers.

stgislander

PREMO Member
My neighbors' two kids had friends from the neighborhood over yesterday to play in the backyard. The two were wearing masks in entire time the other kids were there.

The wife and I were

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
'Follow the Science' Crashed and Burned With Pete Buttigieg's Reason for Continued Mask-Wearing for Air Travel

Remember ‘follow the science’? Liberal America chanted that pervasively. It was part of the Left’s exhibition of their insufferable moral superiority complex. The problem was even the experts weren’t following the science. The COVID protocols on mask-wearing, activities post-vaccination, and social distancing especially venture into the realms of contradiction and absurdity. You cannot spread the virus if vaccinated, folks. That is a fact, though Dr. Anthony Fauci said we should still wear a mask post-vaccination. Where’s the science to back that up? there isn’t any, which is why he finally admitted his mask-wearing post-vaccination was an act of political theater. You can’t trust the science when the experts peddle lies in the hopes of keeping the general population in line.

As soon as the CDC tweaked their mask requirements, liberal America suddenly became stalwarts of science fiction. We have people saying they’ll wear masks forever. It’s funny how conservatives were criticized for making masks into a political statement. Well, liberal America one-upped them on that aspect. Even liberals who merely ask for when mask mandates can expire are attacked by their own side.

‘Put your mask on’ is dead, but liberals want to keep wearing them. It really doesn’t protect you, guys. I can speak from experience. You can still get COVID even if you’re wearing one, but the Left continues to act as if it’s a special shield. ‘We believe in science’…until you don’t.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
'HUGE Legal Win': Florida Appeals Court Just Dealt A Devastating Blow To Forced Masking

In overturning and sending back for reconsideration the decision of a circuit judge in favor of Alachua County's mask requirement, the 1st District Court of Appeal panel cited the state Supreme Court's interpretation of privacy rights "so broad as to include the complete freedom of a person to control his own body," Fox13 reported.

A panel of the 1st District Court of Appeal, in a 2-1 decision, said Alachua County Circuit Judge Donna Keim did not properly consider the privacy rights of plaintiff Justin Green before she rejected a request for a temporary injunction against the mask requirement.

"The trial court simply looked at the right asserted by Green too narrowly, relying on the wrong privacy jurisprudence," said the 13-page majority opinion, written by Judge Adam Tanenbaum and joined by Judge Robert Long. "The right to be let alone by government does exist in Florida, as part of a right of privacy that our (Florida) Supreme Court has declared to be fundamental. … (The Supreme Court) has construed this fundamental right to be so broad as to include the complete freedom of a person to control his own body.

Under this construction, a person reasonably can expect not to be forced by the government to put something on his own face against his will. Florida’s constitutional right to privacy, then, necessarily is implicated by the nature of the county’s mask mandate."
The majority stopped short of declaring the Alachua County requirement unconstitutional but sent the case back to the lower court for reconsideration.

Reactions: TPD

TPD

the poor dad
Just got back from a local restaurant. I would guess 25-30% of customers walked in with a mask on - mainly couples in their late 20s early 30s. UFB. Whatever makes them feel good I guess.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Just got back from a local restaurant. I would guess 25-30% of customers walked in with a mask on - mainly couples in their late 20s early 30s. UFB. Whatever makes them feel good I guess.
Pier450?