Politics of The Mask

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Was just in Old town/ downtown Annapolis yesterday, doing the tourist thing. Less people are wearing masks than in SoMD, maybe 1-in-10?
Sights on stores that masks are not required, and to respect other people’s space and decisions. Weird.
I've definitely noticed more people wearing masks here locally. I was at my son's b-ball game yesterday and masks were required indoors for all, but was selectively enforced. :rolleyes: SMCPS is meeting this week I believe and a repeal of the masking requirement is on the agenda.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Was just in Old town/ downtown Annapolis yesterday, doing the tourist thing. Less people are wearing masks than in SoMD, maybe 1-in-10?
Sights on stores that masks are not required, and to respect other people’s space and decisions. Weird.
I was up there two weeks ago and noticed the same thing.

I was also at the Gaylord this weekend and though there were signs up for wearing masks, a lot of people were not.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Do Masks Work?

A 2016 study in Beijing by MacIntyre, et al. that claimed to find a possible benefit of masks did not prove very informative, as only one person in the control group—and one in the mask group—developed a laboratory-confirmed infection. Much more illuminating was a 2010 study in France by Canini, et al., which randomly placed sick people, or “index patients,” and their household contacts together into either a mask group or a no-mask control group. The authors “observed a good adherence to the intervention,” meaning that the index patients generally wore the furnished three-ply masks as intended. (No one else was asked to wear them.) Within a week, 15.8 percent of household contacts in the no-mask control group and 16.2 percent in the mask group developed an “influenza-like illness” (ILI). So, the two groups were essentially dead even, with the sliver of an advantage observed in the control group not being statistically significant. The authors write that the study “should be interpreted with caution since the lack of statistical power prevents us to draw formal conclusion regarding effectiveness of facemasks in the context of a seasonal epidemic.” However, they state unequivocally, “In various sensitivity analyses, we did not identify any trend in the results suggesting effectiveness of facemasks.”

With the two RCTs that directly tested source control providing essentially no support for the claim that wearing a mask benefits others, what about RCTs that test the combination of source control and wearer protection? By dividing participants into a hand-hygiene group, a hand-hygiene group that also wore masks, and a control group, three RCTs allow us to see whether the addition of masks (worn both by the sick person and others) provided any benefit over hand hygiene alone.

A 2010 study by Larson, et al. in New York found that those in the hand-hygiene group were less likely to develop any symptoms of an upper respiratory infection (42 percent experienced symptoms) than those in the mask-plus-hand-hygiene group (61 percent). This statistically significant finding suggests that wearing a mask actually undermines the benefits of hand hygiene.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

The M17 gas mask, and/or family of such masks, sure do work. They'll stop the smell of a fart before it leaves the ass of Joe Biden, as well as any other biological agents such as nerve gases the like of Sarin, Cyclosarin, Anthrax, Cyclohexylsarin, Tabun, VX, etc., and yes, even any simple virus particle such as the flu, recently renamed COVID. I can only speak for these type of masks though.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
New York Won’t Force Counties to Comply With Mask Mandate

New York Governor Kathy Hochul undermined her own statewide mask mandate on Monday by revealing that she would not force counties to comply with the mandate.

“We have left this to the counties to enforce. We hope that counties will enforce it,” Hochul told reporters. “We expect that they will, we hope that they will, it’s in the best interest of public health. But it also comes down to individual businesses doing the right thing as well. We’re asking businesses to protect their customers and to protect their employees.”

But several counties had already announced their intention to not enforce the mandate, including Rockland, Madison, Niagara, Livingston, Rensselaer, and Chautauqua counties.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Major Airline CEOs Push Back On Plane Mask Mandates: ‘Case Is Very Strong That Masks Don’t Add Much’

The comments from American Airlines CEO Doug Parker and Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly came on Wednesday during a Senate committee hearing on the financial support the industry received during the pandemic.

CNN reported:

Both Kelly and Parker, who each have announced plans to retire as CEOs in the coming months, mentioned that high-grade HEPA air filters on planes capture virtually all airborne contamination and air quality is helped by how frequently cabin air is exchanged with fresh air from outside the cabin.

“I think the case is very strong that masks don’t add much, if anything, in the air cabin environment,” Kelly said. “It is very safe and very high quality compared to any other indoor setting.”

Parker agreed, saying, “I concur, an aircraft is the safest place you can be.”

“It’s true of all of our aircraft — they all have the same HEPA filters and air flow,” Parker added.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Technically, Brooklyn and Queens boroughs are considered counties of Long Island as well, but haven't seen anything if they will follow the mandate or not.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Indiana parent has a message for Americans concerned about school mask mandates

"If these kinds of things — if you think it can’t happen where you live, you’re wrong. Whitley County is an amazing place to raise a family," he said. "Great schools and the best teachers and faculty. Unfortunately what’s happened is the liberal Left has implemented themselves into our education."

Authority figures seeking to enforce mask mandates in schools have been "emboldened" by leaders like President Biden, Attorney General Merrick Garland, and Dr. Anthony Fauci, he added.

"What I would like to say to them — we’re not your peasants," Stafford said. "You’re not our king. We’re done."

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Screen-Shot-2021-12-18-at-6.29.37-PM.png

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Mask revolt spurs Gov. Hochul to have state enforce new business mandate

The announcement reversed previous statements in which Hochul said local governments would be solely responsible for carrying out the controversial, statewide mask mandate she imposed on the private sector — including business offices — last week.

It also came after officials in nearly two-thirds of the counties outside New York City refused to enforce the mandate — which carries fines of up to $1,000 per violation — because they don’t have the resources to force companies to comply.

“We’ve always said we’re going to leave it up to the counties and we’re going to be making sure that it gets done from the counties but we also want to lend support to them as well,” Hochul told reporters during a news conference in upstate Johnson City, outside Binghamton.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
N.Y. Gov. Hochul Now Bribing Counties to Enforce Her Mask Mandate

On Monday, the governor announced that she is “making $65 million available to counties across New York State to help with the costs associated with administering vaccines and boosters and enforcing the mask-or-vaccine mandate for indoor public places that went into effect statewide last week.”

“Getting vaccinated and wearing a mask are the surest ways to fight COVID and stay safe, and this funding will help counties across the state enforce the reasonable, responsible and effective mask-or-vax mandate in place until mid-January,” Hochul said. “The state is taking extensive measures to fight this pandemic and giving New Yorkers the tools everyone needs to stay safe. Instead of spreading COVID, let’s spread holiday cheer and do it safely by getting vaccinated and wearing masks indoors in public spaces.”

Hijinx

I just wonder how many people died because this little squirt Faucci refused to let people be treated with Ivermectin of HCQ.
Pretty sure it's a lot of people.