Politics of The Mask

herb749

This morning the Today show is touting that Biden is going to make an announcement on us not having to wear masks outside. Did Dr Jill make a decision .? :yahoo:

frequentflier

happy to be living
This morning the Today show is touting that Biden is going to make an announcement on us not having to wear masks outside. Did Dr Jill make a decision .? :yahoo:

Masks are required at the Calvert Co fairgrounds for their flea market on Saturdays. When I went two weeks ago, I was looking for specific things (costume jewelry) and did not wander around otherwise. Normally, I would check everything out and go to every booth but found the mask made me anxious to get out of there.
If people choose to wear a mask, fine. But I am not fine with it being forced on me at an outdoors venue.

TPD

the poor dad
We were supposed to wear masks outside? Guess I didn't get that memo, no wonder I get the stink eye in the grocery parking lot.

according to Hogies executive order, you must wear one outside when you cannot consistently maintain 6'. Health department noted on one of their inspection reports against us that my employees were not wearing masks outside - they were doing all they could to "throw the book" at us.

TPD

the poor dad
I missed Tucker last night ( my daughter and I were at a political event meeting with our elected officials - most of us (~75-100) unmasked, hugging, shaking hands and socializing - it was great!) but here is his rant on masks outside.

The next time you see someone in a mask on the sidewalk or the bike path, don’t hesitate. Ask politely but firmly: "would you please take off your mask? Science shows there is no reason to wear it. Your mask is making me uncomfortable." We should do that, and we should keep doing it, until wearing a mask outdoors is roughly as socially accepted as lighting a Marlboro in an elevator. It’s repulsive. Don’t do it around other people. That’s the message we should send because it’s true.

TUCKER CARLSON: The Outdoor Mask myth and why we played along for so long

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
We watched that, it was great.

His recommendation, give people wearing masks outside the stink eye.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
according to Hogies executive order, you must wear one outside when you cannot consistently maintain 6'

sock cuckers need to update that chit ...... social distancing is useless in avoiding the coof

6 feet or 60 feet it all has to do with air flow and the time you are exposed to someone ....... MIT blew that appart last week

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
We were supposed to wear masks outside? Guess I didn't get that memo, no wonder I get the stink eye in the grocery parking lot.
Seriously, I didn't know this was "law", I had heard it, thought they were considering it, then threw it out as a stupid idea.

Because it is a stupid idea.

Niece in CA was always posting pictures of she, hubby, and 3 little kids hiking with their masks on. I would just shake my head and not comment.

My apologies to anyone I offended in the Giant parking lot, and thank you for protecting us both and staying 6 ft away from me. (Do I need to add :sarcasm:?)

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I read a comment about why people are not getting a vaccine. Why get one if I still have to wear a mask. Is there no confidence in this vaccine that I still have to wear one .?

I'm not buying the you can still be a carrier of it with being 99% safe from it with a vaccine. Can I carry it on a tiny part of my eye brow .? :razz:
When people ask me if I've had the "vaccine", I tell them, "Nope, I'm in the clinical control group not getting the experimental solution". The looks I get. Whew!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Edwards rolls back Louisiana mask mandate, limits locations

The Democratic governor’s decision to roll back the mask mandate he enacted in July is at odds with the recommendations of President Joe Biden’s administration, but puts him more in line with other Southern state leaders who have either ended their statewide face covering requirement or never enacted one at all.

The new rules starting Wednesday will require people in Louisiana to wear masks on public transit and in health care facilities, daycare centers, K-12 schools, colleges and universities. A face covering will be required in some state buildings as well, as decided by the leaders in charge of the building. Edwards said all buildings under his administration’s control will require masks, including the three floors that house his offices in the Louisiana Capitol.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Maskholes Prove Exactly What Conservatives Have Been Saying All Along

These maskholes are attempting to guilt people into wearing a mask. Despite numerous “orders” (CDC, State, County) I have not worn a mask outdoors, at all, since June of last year. Recently, while at the gas station, a man approached me demanding I put on a mask to protect everyone else around me. I asked him why he felt that he could enter my 6 feet of social distancing space to get in my face, asking me to put on a mask while outdoors. Infuriated, he squawked about how I just wanted to kill people and I didn’t care for anyone else around me. To him, I was right up there with Mussolini. He went further to say that the majority of the problems we were having were because people won’t mask up.

Enter science and data.

I asked him if that were the case, why didn’t Florida have the most per-capita cases in the country? Dumbfounded, he said that “thousands” were dying from exposure in Florida still. (No, they aren’t.) He insisted that the states with the worst numbers for COVID were Republican-run states. I then asked him which of the states had the worst numbers. “SOUTH DAKOTA!” he screamed in my face. “They don’t have a mask mandate and they have more deaths by population than any other state.”

Knowing that was factually inaccurate, I asked him how much he was willing to bet that South Dakota wasn’t even in the top five of worst states. Practically having a stroke by this point, my maskhole sparring partner told me that South Dakota was one of the top states in the country, even when not factoring for the population. “They are either first or second in deaths per capita,” he asserted. Due to this amazing invention called the internet, I pulled up World-o-Meter’s COVID-19 statistics on my phone and read them out loud to him. Sorting the data by deaths per million population, it showed that the top 3 were all blue states. I showed him on my phone that not only did South Dakota not make the top five, it barely made the top 10, coming in tenth per capita, and 41st in the nation for overall deaths. As I continued to show him this data, he was now standing right next to me reading my phone. “See!” he continued, “it is because they don’t have a mask mandate.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Analysis: The CDC Can't Stop Undermining Its Own Credibility

Earlier in the week, we gave the CDC half a cheer for its impending, if embarrassingly belated, changes to guidance on outdoor masking. The new guidance finally arrived on Tuesday. It is profoundly underwhelming, to put it kindly. One science-based reality is that outdoor transmission of COVID is vanishingly rare – almost non-existent – even among unvaccinated people. Another science-based reality is that the vaccines work incredibly well, offering robust immunity. The notion that the CDC is still recommending that fully vaccinated people wear masks in some outdoor settings is untethered from the data, and yet again sends the counter-productive signal that maybe the vaccines don't work. They really truly do, of course, but that's not what the Powers That Be repeatedly insist on conveying. National Review's Phil Klein wrote a succinct and scathing post about the new CDC rules, calling them "a joke:"

To be clear, the science was overwhelming last year that the risk of outdoor transmission of COVID-19 was low to non-existent. Anybody following the science should have never felt compelled to wear a mask outdoors during the pandemic. Furthermore, somebody who is fully vaccinated is at minimal risk of catching COVID-19 indoors or outdoors. Earlier this month, the CDC itself reported that out of a universe of 66 million individuals who were vaccinated at the time, just 5,800 got the virus. That’s less than 1-in-10,000. The idea that the CDC, even in loosening outdoor mask guidance, is still insisting that vaccinated people wear masks in crowded outdoor settings is completely unmoored from science or reason. This is a bungling agency that has made one mistake after another throughout the pandemic...It would be easy to say that every American should just ignore the CDC, because the people running it have exposed themselves as unserious people. But the problem is that state and local officials as well as private business often defer to CDC guidance. So if you live in a Faucistan sector of the United States, your daily life is likely still going to be affected by whatever the CDC decides to cook up.

Contributing to the problem is the fanfare with which government officials munificently bestow new "allowances" upon millions of Americans who have already been engaging in the newly-permitted actions for months. There's a massive disconnect between the elites making preposterous decisions and the lived experience of actual people. For instance, the fresh guidance says that "fully vaccinated Americans can go without masks outdoors when walking, jogging or biking outdoors, or dining with friends at outdoor restaurants." Many, many people (including some people on the cautious end of the spectrum) have been eating with friends at outdoor restaurants for the last nine months, well before vaccines were available. For the government to announce in late April 2021, "congratulations, you may now dine outdoors with other people if you're vaccinated" is self-discrediting because it understandably sounds ludicrous to huge swaths of the country. Do they hear themselves? Do they have any idea how people have been living? I share Ben Shapiro's exasperation about this:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I have to wonder if this "guidance" is biased by the longevity of the vaccine. We've been told it's valid anything from 3 months to a year. So what happens when it's not effective anymore? Return to wearing a mask? That ain't gonna happen, and they know it, so they tell us to keep wearing it instead of wearing it, not wearing it, and then tell us to wear it again until you get more shots. Just easier to tell us to keep wearing a mask.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Even This CNN Medical Analyst Thinks Biden's Gone Too Far on the Masking

The president encouraged Americans to get vaccinated early on in his speech, and touted his administration's accomplishments in that area. "Everyone over the age of 16, everyone – is now eligible and can get vaccinated right away. So get vaccinated now." Another line of his was that "our progress these past 100 days against one of the worst pandemics in history is one of the greatest logistical achievements our country has ever seen."

That may seem like a good segue to Biden detailing what else he's done for the first 100 days. But it lacks substance, and, more importantly, truly meaningful encouragement when it comes to getting vaccinated so that Americans can get back to normal.

Dr. Wen also writes, with added emphasis:

The 200 attendees entered the 1,600-person-capacity House chamber spaced apart and wearing masks. Some appeared to be double-masked. They were asked not to make physical contact, though some still fist-bumped or shook hands. There were markers indicating which seats could be occupied, with numerous empty spaces in between. As the president spoke, the vice president and speaker of the House sat behind him, both clad in masks.
If I didn’t know better, I would have thought this was six months ago, before Americans had access to safe, highly effective vaccines.
President Biden isn't the only subject of Dr. Wen's criticism, but the CDC as well. In addition to calling the CDC guidance "the problem" she writes:

How incredible are [vaccines]? According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s latest report, there were only 7,157 breakthrough infections among 87 million fully vaccinated people — a rate of 0.008 percent.

Of course, you wouldn’t know that the vaccines are so effective by looking at the CDC’s overly-cautious guidelines. Already, a very damaging narrative is taking hold: If the vaccines are so effective, then why so many precautions for the fully vaccinated? What’s the point of getting inoculated if not much changes?