Politics of The Mask

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
😷 A new U.K. study from Hull York Medical School sampled human lung tissue samples and found thirty-nine kinds of microplastics in 11 of the 13 lung tissue samples of patients scheduled for surgery. That’s 85% of the patients. How could this have happened? It’s an enigma.

The most commonly found microplastic was polypropylene (23%). The researchers were surprised. They did not mention face masks. But coincidentally, the most common microplastic used in covid face masks is polypropylene.

Tissue from male donors contained nearly six times the microplastics as did tissue from female donors, and some particles were as large as 1.4 millimeters. Gross.

well would have thought wearing masks 8 - 10 hrs a day 5 days a week.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
😷 Another new peer-reviewed study dropped April 19th in the Cureus Journal titled, “Correlation Between Mask Compliance and COVID-19 Outcomes in Europe.” It’s not good. It’s actually quite bad.

Using data from 35 countries and 602 million people, the peer-reviewed study cautions that the use of face masks “may have harmful unintended consequences.” You don’t say.

First, the researchers confirmed a lack of any evidence of efficacy between mask use and infections. “Positive correlation between mask usage and cases was not statistically significant,” the study said.

But, chillingly, it also found that “the correlation between mask usage and deaths was positive and significant (rho = 0.351, p = 0.039).” In other words, the more folks used masks, the higher the death rate went. They tried a variety of different statistical methods but they all showed the same positive correlation between masking and death rates: “none of these [different statistical] tests provided negative correlations between mask usage and cases/deaths.”

Now, punters will argue that this study only shows CORRELATION and not CAUSATION. But please, don’t make me laugh. You can’t say it is possible that higher death rates cause more masking. People would have to know what the death rates were and we don’t know those until well after the fact, and a LOT of people aren’t paying attention anyway. I suppose it is possible there could be some invisible, unidentified third cause but you can say that about anything.

I suppose the third factor could be mental illness, but nobody wants to hear that.

Anyway, what we CAN say is there is NO correlation between lower infections and masks, and NO correlation between lower death rates and masking. So what good are they? But there IS a correlation between higher deaths rates and mask use. So there is a good possibility that mask lovers are only hurting themselves, while on the other hand, masks clearly aren’t helping anything.

How many studies do people need to see in order to start FOLLOWING THE SCIENCE? Or aren’t we doing that anymore? Is it okay to “deny the science” now?

TPD

the poor dad
Some medical facilities in St. Mary's County are telling their patients that the mask requirements are coming from my favorite doctor. If you can get through to someone at my favorite doctor's office to ask questions, you are promptly told the requirement is coming from the state and then immediately hung up on, with no further discussion... So why are medical establishments still requiring masks?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Some medical facilities in St. Mary's County are telling their patients that the mask requirements are coming from my favorite doctor. If you can get through to someone at my favorite doctor's office to ask questions, you are promptly told the requirement is coming from the state and then immediately hung up on, with no further discussion... So why are medical establishments still requiring masks?
Must .... maintain ..... FEAR! :jameo: And maniacal power tripping control.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
😷 A new peer-reviewed study on masking just published in the Journal of Infectious Disease:

The researchers tested various kinds of masks to determine their relative viral control efficacy. Their conclusion? That a “quantitatively fit-tested

N95 was the only condition that proved superior to control (no mask).”

In other words, only a PROPERLY FITTED N95 respirator provided any measurable efficacy against viruses compared to NO MASK. They found surgical masks and non-fit-tested N95s were useless, and found even fit-tested N95’s weren’t perfect: “Nasal swabs demonstrated high virus exposure, which was not mitigated by the surgical/N95 masks, although there was a trend for the fit-tested N95 mask to reduce virus counts (p=0.058).”

Gosh. Sadly, this information might have been helpful about eighteen months ago. Moms who live in insane school districts where masks are still required might want to forward that study to somebody.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
😷 A new May 11th Italian preprint study published on MedRxIV is titled, “Inhaled CO2 concentration while wearing face masks: a pilot study using capnography.”

I bet you’ll never guess what they found. After extensive testing, they found CO2 levels inside masks are perfectly safe and are equivalent to ambient levels outside the mask. Haha, just kidding. The researchers actually confirmed that:

Shortly after wearing surgical masks, the inhaled air CO2 approached the highest acceptable exposure threshold recommended for workers, while concerningly high concentrations were recorded in virtually all individuals when wearing [N95] masks. The CO2 concentration was significantly higher among minors and subjects with high respiratory rate.

I’m old enough to remember when some people were saying this two years ago. Too bad, a study like this could have been very helpful back during the mask wars. Narrative 3.0 continues developing, stand by.

Reactions: TPD

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
A few times a week on my way to "work", I pass a couple walking. Just the 2 of them, obviously a couple, because......

they are wearing similar masks.

Now, I'm all for live and let live, and if you're wearing a mask in the store/library/post office, I personally think you're posturing, but I would never say anything to you. I promise I won't even make a noise under my breath or roll my eyes.

But I really wanna punch these two right between the eyes.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Inhaled CO2 concentration while wearing face masks: a pilot study using capnography

ABSTRACT​

None of the available evaluations of the inhaled air carbon dioxide (CO2) concentration, while wearing face masks, used professional, real-time capnography with water-removal tubing. We measured the end-tidal CO2 using professional side-stream capnography, with water-removing tubing (Rad-97™ capnograph), at rest, (1) without masks, (2) wearing a surgical mask, and (3) wearing a FFP2 respirator, in 102 healthy volunteers aged 10-90 years, from the general population of Ferrara province, Italy. The inhaled air CO2 concentration was then computed as: ((mask volume × end-tidal CO2) + ((tidal volume - mask volume) × ambient air CO2)) / tidal volume).

The mean CO2 concentration was 4965±1047 ppm with surgical masks, and 9396±2254 ppm with FFP2 respirators. The proportion of the sample showing a CO2 concentration higher than the 5000 ppm acceptable exposure threshold recommended for workers was 40.2% while wearing surgical masks, 99.0% while wearing FFP2 respirators. The mean blood oxygen saturation remained >96%, and the mean end-tidal CO2 <33 mmHg. Adjusting for age, gender, BMI, and smoking, the inhaled air CO2 concentration significantly increased with increasing respiratory rate (with a mean of 10,143±2782 ppm among the participants taking 18 or more breaths per minute, while wearing FFP2 respirators), and was higher among the minors, who showed a mean CO2 concentration of 12,847±2898 ppm, while wearing FFP2 respirators. If these results will be confirmed, the current guidelines on mask-wearing could be updated to integrate recommendations for slow breathing and a more targeted use when contagion risk is low.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
2)Preliminary report on surgical mask induced deoxygenation during major surgery

Abstract

“Objectives: This study was undertaken to evaluate whether the surgeons' oxygen saturation of hemoglobin was affected by the surgical mask or not during major operations.

Methods: Repeated measures, longitudinal and prospective observational study was performed on 53 surgeons using a pulse oximeter pre and postoperatively.

Results: Our study revealed a decrease in the oxygen saturation of arterial pulsations (SpO2) and a slight increase in pulse rates compared to preoperative values in all surgeon groups. The decrease was more prominent in the surgeons aged over 35.

Conclusions: Considering our findings, pulse rates of the surgeon's increase and SpO2 decrease after the first hour. This early change in SpO2 may be either due to the facial mask or the operational stress. Since a very small decrease in saturation at this level, reflects a large decrease in PaO2, our findings may have a clinical value for the health workers and the surgeons.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Masks, false safety and real dangers, Part 3: Hypoxia, hypercapnia and physiological effects

MASKS and HYPERCAPNIA

Do masks cause systemic hypercapnia?​

Airway obstruction is a long recognized cause of retention of carbon dioxide and respiratory acidosis. A sustained level of increased carbon dioxide stays inside of masked air, compared to room air, which in turn sustains a low level of hypercapnia. Rebreathing of exhaled air has been found to quickly elevate [CO2] in available air above 5000 ppm, and to increase arterial CO2 concentration and to increase acidosis.1 The mechanism of mask-induced hypercapnia may also include the moisture on a mask trapping carbon dioxide from exhalation. Some carbon dioxide diffuses in the air, more so if dry, but some portion of it, trapped by water vapor and mask moisture, would form a weak, unstable acid with water, for re-circulation to the airways and lungs. The mechanism is that retention of CO2 causes an increase in PCO2. This is the primary disturbance in respiratory acidosis. It results in an increased concentration of both HCO3- and H+, which is measured as a lower pH.

Masks increase respiratory drive and bronchodilation in mild hypercapnia, from sensitive chemoreceptors picking up changes in pH of cerebrospinal fluid. Ultimately in severe hypercapnia, respiratory drive is actually depressed.

Hypercapnia is widely recognized to be an independent risk factor for death.2 3 4 5 A number of organ systems are negatively impacted, including the brain, heart, lungs, immune system and musculoskeletal system. 6 7

[clip]​

Graph 1​

Graph of CO2 in a masked airspace

The blue horizontal line in Graph 1 represents the maximum allowable average CO2 concentration in workspace air during an 8-hour work shift, by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) of the US Department of Labor.8 The green horizontal line represents typical [CO2] in room air, which is 400 parts per million.

After donning each mask, we see that [CO2] in the masked airspace rose above acceptable OSHA limits within the first 30 seconds.

The concentration of carbon dioxide rises similarly during the time of wearing each kind of mask. These findings are consistent with known data on the carbon dioxide concentration of available airspace inside of a mask.9

Industrial workspace standards established by OSHA for carbon dioxide concentration in the workspace are for ambient room air, and these have been established since 1979. It is not the case that OSHA has mandated specific CO2 concentrations for masked airspace. However, we examine these standards for available room air, and compare masked airspace to them, because in both cases we may consider [CO2] concentration in the air that is available to the airways and the lungs.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

NPR’s masking rules encourage coworkers to rat each other out

National Public Radio is encouraging staffers to squeal on each other if they do not comply with the company’s Draconian mask-wearing policy in the office.

According to a strongly-worded memo sent out Thursday, NPR employees are not only required to wear masks in the office, but if they see someone who isn’t complying with the mandate, they are encouraged to correct their coworker or rat them out to higher-ups.

“If you notice someone who has forgotten their mask, you might tell them, “Hey, you forgot your mask,” the memo said, adding they can also let a superior know so they can “remind” them or they can get human resources involved. Repeat offenses could lead to the maskless offender getting fired.

The strict policy is a departure from the majority of COVID safety policies in offices and public places across the country. In Washington, DC, where NPR is headquartered, mask mandates in gyms, restaurants and stores were dropped in March. Last month, airports and airlines ditched mask mandates, too.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
😷 Setting the table, the Times calls masks a PARADOX: “Dr. Shira Doron, an epidemiologist at Tufts Medical Center, [said] ‘It is simultaneously true that masks work and mask mandates do not work.’” Got that? Got both conflicting ideas in your head at the same time? Paging George Orwell.

The article points to three examples of bad facts for masking:

1) In U.S. cities where mask use was common, Covid spread at a similar rate as in mask-resistant cities.

2) Mask mandates in schools seem to have done little to reduce the spread.

3) Hong Kong, despite almost universal mask-wearing, recently endured one of the world’s worst Covid outbreaks.

See? THEY KNOW.

Here’s what the paper came up with to resolve the paradox: “The Covid virus is so contagious that it can spread during brief times when people take off their masks, even when a mandate is in place.” In other words, it’s OUR fault, not masks, since humans need to remove the masks for gross biological functions like eating and drinking.

“Even though masks work, getting millions of people to wear them, and wear them consistently and properly, is a far greater challenge,” one of the Times’ handpicked experts complained.

But don’t worry, they’re not advocating for using even stricter mandates. At least, not yet. The Times admitted strict mask mandates are “not sustainable for years on end. Masks hinder communication, fog glasses and can be uncomfortable. There is a reason that children and airline passengers have broken out in applause when told they can take off their masks.”

Haha, “children and airline passengers.” See what they did there?

Anyway, the Times rued the fact that masking has become so politicized, dang it. “Democrats are more likely to wear masks than Republicans, and Democrats who identify as ‘very liberal’ are more likely to support mandates.” Because liberalism is about MAKING people do stuff. I’m not sure it started out that way, but conservatives always warned about slip-and-slide liberal paternalism gone wild. I guess this is what it looks like.

At the end of the day, the Times thinks people should wear masks if they want to: “Anybody who wants to wear a snug, high-quality mask can do so and will be less likely to contract covid. … ‘One-way masking is how we have always used them,’” another expert explained.

“One-way masking,” the remarkable new way to live forever.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

More than 150 Comparative Studies and Articles on Mask Ineffectiveness and Harms

My focus is on COVID face masks and the prevailing science that we have had for nearly 20 months. Yet I wish to address this mask topic at a 50,000-foot level on the lockdown restrictive policies in general. I build on the backs of the fine work done by Gupta, Kulldorff, and Bhattacharya on the Great Barrington Declaration (GBD) and similar impetus by Dr. Scott Atlas (advisor to POTUS Trump) who, like myself, was a strong proponent for a focused type of protection that was based on an age-risk stratified approach.

Because we saw very early on that the lockdowns were the single greatest mistake in public health history. We knew the history and knew they would not work. We also knew very early of COVID’s risk stratification. Sadly, our children will bear the catastrophic consequences and not just educationally, of the deeply flawed school closure policy for decades to come (particularly our minority children who were least able to afford this). Many are still pressured to wear masks and punished for not doing so.

I present the masking ‘body of evidence’ below (n=167 studies and pieces of evidence), comprised of comparative effectiveness research as well as related evidence and high-level reporting. To date, the evidence has been stable and clear that masks do not work to control the virus and they can be harmful and especially to children.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Study After Study Confirms Masks Don't Work

At this point, it’s no longer news that The Experts™ have lied to the public about masks.

It’s been proven time and time again that masks and the mandates enacted by terrified politicians do not work.

And yet, the inaccuracies spread by “experts” and their allies in the media have permanently taken hold for a significant portion of the population.

For example, Taylor Lorenz, Washington Post writer and excellent avatar for the modern (young? middle aged?) urban progressive, remains committed to following their ideology no matter the evidence. She’s continually provided an example of how far down the rabbit hole susceptible people have gone:

At its heart, the debate around masks revolves around ideology.

For years, “experts” decried the importance of masking, quite literally laughing at suggestions that they would make a significant difference:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Professor ripped after trying to mask-shame flight attendant in unhinged Twitter rant

Attaran’s first tweet posted photos of the United flight attendant without a mask, which is required for all flights out of Canada.

“Hey @united, why are you breaking the law? Masks are required on all flights out of Canada. Your flight attendant isn’t wearing one!” he tweeted as he also included government agencies and Canadian news outlets.

United Airlines, in a tweet, replied, “Hi Amir, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’ve informed the appropriate teams for further review.”

Later Attaran tweeted that he had a “friendly chat” with the previously unmasked flight attendant, “and found she is blameless because @united misinforms its crew.

“WTF, United? Look here: no flights leaving Canada, masks are mandatory the ‘entire travel journey’. FOLLOW THE LAW!”

The COVID-crazed professor wasn’t done yet.

“United should be forbidden from flying to Canada—immediately,” he tweeted, while tagging the country’s minister of transport. “Our country, our rules. Even the supervisor I talked with in Chicago didn’t understand Canadian rules apply to flights departing Canada.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

COVID masks never ever worked, harmed populations, I published massive reviews; masks are pure utter garbage and junk, new 'Bay area' data shows clearly its ineffective and DOES not work!

‘The case rate curves for Alameda and Contra Costa counties are near-identical. Because the neighboring counties are similar in so many respects, if masking policy had an impact on pandemic outcomes, one would expect to see some sort of discrepancy in the graph.’ ‘Comparing COVID-19 cases rates in Alameda County, which instituted an indoor mask mandate, and neighboring Contra Costa County, which did not mandate masks indoors.’ Case rates are identical. No difference. In fact, Contra Costa appears lower.

Matches the many papers I have written showing that COVID masks are ineffective and even harmful (More than 150 Comparative Studies and Articles on Mask Ineffectiveness and Harms).

SOURCE (Alameda)

‘The graphs below compare Alameda County’s seven-day average case rate from the past two months to rates in neighboring Contra Costa, Santa Clara and San Francisco counties. Contra Costa and Santa Clara, in particular, are natural comparisons to Alameda, because they have similar vaccination rates and demographic data. San Francisco, on the other side of the bay, provides an additional point of reference. All data comes from the California Department of Public Health.’

‘San Francisco and Santa Clara had higher case rates than Alameda County throughout the current surge, including pre-mask mandate. Once the mandate was introduced, the three counties all followed the same trend line, casting doubt on whether the mask mandate did anything to curb transmission at the community level.’

“Mask mandates may create a false sense of reassurance to those who truly need the extra protection,” Noble said in April. “The severely immunocompromised person … should be using an N95 in crowded spaces when viral prevalence is high. They should not opt for a cloth or surgical mask because other people around them are masked and therefore assume it is 'safe enough' to avoid the tight fitting and uncomfortable N95.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

If Masks Work, Why Didn't We Plan to Use Them?​

For many in today’s world, “believe in science” has become a quasi-religious mantra. Masks are the rosary beads, Fauci is the pope, the CDC is the Church, the World Health Organization is Vatican City, and guidance from both organizations is the Bible. Think I’m exaggerating? Just look at what happened with corporations and Governors after the CDC adjusted their mask guidance for vaccinated people less than a month ago. Word went out, and the rules immediately changed. “The Church (CDC) has decreed that rosary beads (masks) are no longer necessary for the truly blessed, the Pope (Fauci) has concurred with their ruling and so in accordance we are changing our laws,” they might have said.

With that in mind, it’s a wonder that with the religious appeals to “science,” as determined by the CDC and the WHO, those in media and in positions of political authority have spent so little time examining what their guidance, the Bible of the scientific religion, said before COVID-mania took over in early 2020.

If the guidance of the CDC is akin to gospel, this should be extremely relevant, right? Politicians make every decision based and the media determines who’s right or who’s a “denier” based on their proclamations. So what did they say in their pandemic planning about masks?

Well below is a section from a CDC-led telebriefing update from February 26, 2020 on their mitigation guidelines:

To illustrate how this works, I’d like to share with you some of the specific recommendations made in the document I mentioned last Friday including some of the steps we would take here if needed. This document is called Community Mitigation Guidelines to Prevent Pandemic Influenza United States 2017. It draws from the findings of nearly 200 journal articles written between 1990 and 2016. This document looked at what can be done at the individual and community level during a pandemic when we don’t have a vaccine or proven medical treatment for the disease. We’re looking at data since 2016 and adjusting our recommendations to the specific circumstances of COVID-19. But this posted document provides a frame work for our response strategy. Based on what is known now, we would implement these NPI measures in a very aggressive, proactive way as he have been doing with our containment efforts.
Personal NPIs which include personal protective measures you can take every day and personal protective measures reserved for pandemics.
Personal protective measures reserved for pandemics include voluntary home quarantine of household members who have been exposed to someone they live with who is sick.
CDC and other federal agencies have been practicing for this since the 2019 influenza pandemic. In the last two years, CDC has engaged in two pandemic influenza exercises that have required us to prepare for a severe pandemic and just this past year we had a whole of government exercise practicing similarly around a pandemic of influenza.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But the case to mask children has always been significantly worse.

Even Professor Francois Balloux, a self-described COVID “centrist,” who is rarely prone to extreme declarations or hyperbole, admitted recently that the masking of young children is “the most bizarre public health policy ever:”

There is obviously a tremendous amount of research and data proving that mask mandates are ineffective, especially in schools:

https://ianmsc.substack.com/p/school-masking-is-completely-unsupported

Yet the policy continues in many parts of the country.

Just recently, a number of locations in California brought back forced school masking:

But a new study out provides some important new evidence with regards to the efficacy of mask mandates.

The Study Design

The study authors included several credentialed experts like Tracy Høeg and USC’s Neeraj Sood, along with one extremely qualified data analyst, Josh Stevenson.

You may know Josh from his fantastic work on Twitter as well as Substack, and this study could very well be his most important contribution yet.

Their detailed examination of North Dakota has created more advanced academic level research similar to the data comparisons that I and many others have shared.

The introduction explains the methodology and goals:

School districts across the nation have implemented mask mandates for children in the hope of reducing COVID-19 transmission, but the impact of school-based mask mandates on COVID-19 transmission in children is not fully established. While observational studies of school mask mandates have had conflicting results, randomized studies have failed to detect an impact of masking on participants under 50 years of age [1-6]. Here we report the results of a natural experiment in two large K-12 school districts in Fargo, North Dakota, Fargo Public Schools (FPS) and West Fargo Public Schools (WF), to estimate the association between school mask mandates and COVID-19 infections. Our study population is unique because the districts are adjacent to each other in the same county and have similar student demographics, COVID-19 mitigation policies and staff vaccination rates. At the start of the Fall 2021 semester, FPS mandated masks and WF did not. On January 17, 2022, FPS also moved to a mask optional policy, creating a unique natural experiment to study school-based mask mandates.

While not a purely randomized controlled trial, this is about as good of a natural experiment as you’re going to get.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

This bitch Tedros, WHO chief: 'bring back face masks' as Covid pandemic 'nowhere near over'; WHO director-general Tedros urged governments to bring back measures as the pandemic is 'nowhere near over'

WHO chief urges 'bring back face masks' as Covid pandemic 'nowhere near over'

Do not be surprised if these bitches move to lock us down again. This is where we hold them and say Phuck NO! Does this beast not know the clear evidence that the masks never worked and will never work for this respiratory virus.

More than 150 Comparative Studies and Articles on Mask Ineffectiveness and Harms

This untermensche, this devil at WHO. This beast, this bitch at WHO and many like him in our government alphabet government agencies like Jha and Walensky, know full well that it is the non-neutralizing vaccine that is placing sub-optimal immune pressure on the spike protein, and driving emergence of the variants and expanding the pandemic, so much so that this bitch knows and others like Fauci, that the pandemic will last 100 more years if this continues. This is deliberate.

Maybe I will share with this beast Tedros, a few studies that should inform the dolt, the inept corrupted WHO dolt, of the science he should have been aware of:

1)Liu et al.: An infectivity-enhancing site on the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein targeted by antibodies

2)Yahi et al.: Infection-enhancing anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies recognize both the original Wuhan/D614G strain and Delta variants. A potential risk for mass vaccination?

3)Van Egeren et al.: “Risk of rapid evolutionary escape from biomedical interventions targeting SARS-CoV-2 spike protein

4)Lempp et al.: Lectins enhance SARS-CoV-2 infection and influence neutralizing antibodies

5)Asarnow et al.: Structural insight into SARS-CoV-2 neutralizing antibodies and modulation of syncytia

6)Martin et al.: The emergence and ongoing convergent evolution of the SARS-CoV-2 N501Y lineages

7)Hoffmann et al.: The Omicron variant is highly resistant against antibody-mediated neutralization: Implications for control of the COVID-19 pandemic

8)Kimura et al.: Virological characteristics of the novel SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variants including BA.2.12.1, BA.4 and BA.5