Poll: Horses In/Out on 4th of July?

devinej

depends on where your farm is located in comparison to the fireworks, and how sensitive your horse is to them.

i worked at a jumper barn that had the huge professional fireworks less than 10 miles away, and those horses went in the barn with the top doors shut. fancy jumper horses...some of whom would run too much and hurt themselves because they are are not sensible...

but i've left my own horses out, with medium sized fireworks in the neighborhood and the horses looked and goofed for a few minutes, then settled and didn't care anymore. a sensible tb and a pony...

Robin

Thank god my guys are used to the boom boom. We fire off guns all the time and the 30/30 sounds like a canon.

If you don't feel comfortable leave them in and turn a radio on. Stalls might need extra cleaning in the a.m.

Martinigirl

location location location and daily environment..

What do you believe: put the horses in or leave them out with all the fireworks and hoopla of the 4th....?

The horses where I board are use to gunfire, ATV's, skeet shooting hahahaha if he actually hits the skeet...hahaha had to add that part. Transformer was hit right in front of one of the barns. the closest horse ignored the flames and sparks, one was transfixed like she was on drugs...oh ah oh ah...the look on her face was too funny and the other 3 ran like mad to the other end and grazed.

Hard to tell seeing the mixed results above. I'd say in if in doubt.....lock um up. Music or fans and hay.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
If you think they might get running I agree with Devine in the stall and all closed in. Also try horse ear plugs. Or buy the rolled cotton and that can work well to muffle the sound. Just don't forget to take the cotton or ear plugs out after the Fireworks are done.

IntegritysDream

I personally think the horses should stay out. It can help them to get more bomb proofed. Id only bring them in if they were running ALOT and not calming down after 10/20 mins or so. Also depends on the horse... sometimes it may be worse to leave them cause they might panic more not being able to "see" whats going on. All depends on the horse and location. If they are just goofing off and having fun for a little bit, then theres no need to bring them in...

SugarNSpikes

I had this dilemma too so I went up to the barn at around 8:30. I brought him inside and brushed him and as soon as the fireworks started going off, he started getting antsy and wanted to see what was going on. I turned him out and he ran a little bit (good exercise!) but then after about 10 minutes, the two horses settled down and enjoyed the fireworks. :D