Poll: I Shop at Thrift Stores

I shop at thrift stores

• Total voters

glhs837

Power with Control
Vintage Values both in the Park and up in L-town, and of course, ReStore, the manly mans thrift store. I do tons of little projects and stuff from all these places comes in handy for a good price. Needed thin light poles for making a kayak trailer, a set of aluminum crutches works towards that, picked up an Ethernet switch for $5.00.

rolltide

Thrift Shopping

If you can travel north, I recommend Unique Thrift. www.imunique.com The one across from the main gate at Andrews AFB is good, but the best is a double store in Hillandale Plaza shopping center, just off the beltway at New Hampshire Ave.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
define 'southern'

my wife likes the one across from Andrews Air Force Base ...

[that is So PG] :whistle:

mintconditionbt

Vintage Value/Yard Sales/Mint Condition

I've shopped at the one across from Andrews AFB too. They have a lot of good stuff.

Has anyone been to Mint Condition Boutique in St. Mary's Square off of Great Mills Road? It's down the street from Vintage Value... what's your take on that one?

I shop around at local thrift stores and yard sales, but it's hard to find quality items at a fair price.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm a huge fan of Goodwill - that's where I get most of my clothes. When I'm traveling I make it a point to hit them. Yesterday I got complimented several times on my outfit and everything I had on - my shoes, jeans, sweater and coat - came from the Goodwill in Salem, VA.

They truck in from all over the country instead of just taking local hand-me-downs, so the stock is plentiful and some pretty nice merchandise. A lot of the stuff in local thrift stores is just junk - ratty kids toys, crappy clothes, worn out furniture, tacky knickknacks.

I've gotten lucky at Vintage Values a few times but even that is hit or miss.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Has anyone been to Mint Condition Boutique in St. Mary's Square off of Great Mills Road?

You really should buy an ad. :razz:

But neither here nor there, I typically don't bother with second-hand boutiques or consignment stores. Their prices are usually much higher than I'm willing to pay for used clothing and the selection isn't there. However I will stop in your store tomorrow or the next day and check you out. :yay:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I am a thrift store queen! I looooove them! I've found lots of good deals and some really cool vintage pieces. Recently I purchased a box set of ornaments (that sell for over $100) for $25, and a Williams Sonoma casserole dish, brand new, for $6. I have purchased a lot of old school Tupperware at thrift stores as well. The ugly green/orange stuff. :lol:

Roman

I'm a huge fan of Goodwill - that's where I get most of my clothes. When I'm traveling I make it a point to hit them. Yesterday I got complimented several times on my outfit and everything I had on - my shoes, jeans, sweater and coat - came from the Goodwill in Salem, VA.

They truck in from all over the country instead of just taking local hand-me-downs, so the stock is plentiful and some pretty nice merchandise. A lot of the stuff in local thrift stores is just junk - ratty kids toys, crappy clothes, worn out furniture, tacky knickknacks.

I've gotten lucky at Vintage Values a few times but even that is hit or miss.
I love the Good Wills in Florida. A lot of nice stuff. It's were us old codgers go to die, and to get away from the grown children. So they either donate Mom, and Dad's stuff to Good Will, or they sell it dirt cheap in yard sales. They want to get rid of it, and then get back to their lives in other states.

frequentflier

happy to be living
SPOT thrift shop in St Leonard. I used to volunteer there and check in, price and help with displays when I had the time. Proceeds to go the free spay and neuter of animals in the area.
Sometimes, people complain their prices are high. I think their prices are reasonable and esp their basement full of clothing is priced well. I bought a brand new designer dress for a wedding w/ original price tag of over $120 for $20. The last time I was there, everything was clean, priced and organized by color and size.
The people that run it are always very appreciative of all donations; both new and used. My store is a regular contributor to their cause :yay:

mamatutu

mama to two
SPOT thrift shop in St Leonard. I used to volunteer there and check in, price and help with displays when I had the time. Proceeds to go the free spay and neuter of animals in the area.
Sometimes, people complain their prices are high. I think their prices are reasonable and esp their basement full of clothing is priced well. I bought a brand new designer dress for a wedding w/ original price tag of over $120 for $20. The last time I was there, everything was clean, priced and organized by color and size.
The people that run it are always very appreciative of all donations; both new and used. My store is a regular contributor to their cause :yay:

I am so glad you posted this. I should have thought to do so. :doh: I go there often, and have donated and bought. Great cause. :yay:

luvmygdaughters

I shop them sometimes, it depends on what I'm looking for. Last year I wanted to find something kind of dressy for our Christmas Party. I knew I'd only wear it once, so I went to a few stores in the Annapolis area, they had some nice stuff, but nothing in my size. I used to shop them all the time when my kids were little. THey outgrow clothes so fast, it really paid off to shop the thrift stores for them.

SamSpade

I guess I don't shop them because I haven't a clue where they are. And possibly because I assume most thrift stores sell mostly CLOTHING, something I already have too much of.