Pony Question

ARWB01R

I purchased a new 6-year-old medium pony at the beginning of January. He was shown on the A circuit and due to lack of funds was put out to pasture in the the middle of last year. He's a bit under weight but is slowly picking up and otherwise seems healthy and happy as a clam (he's a little spit fire under saddle!)

What concerns me the most is that he is sunken-in at the lower flanks...he eats 3/4 of a bale of hay a day and is on a good 5 acre pasture with one other pony. He has fresh water available at all times and has access to full bucket of water (which he never finishes) in his stall when everyone comes in at night. He's on a high fat-high fiber, low starch feed...he's been wormed and he's teeth are fine.

What else could cause this? And how can I fix it? I have heard one suggestion that it is due to not drinking enough...how can I encourage him to drink more?

Thanks for all of your help!

fredsaid2

I purchased a new 6-year-old medium pony at the beginning of January. He was shown on the A circuit and due to lack of funds was put out to pasture in the the middle of last year. He's a bit under weight but is slowly picking up and otherwise seems healthy and happy as a clam (he's a little spit fire under saddle!)

What concerns me the most is that he is sunken-in at the lower flanks...he eats 3/4 of a bale of hay a day and is on a good 5 acre pasture with one other pony. He has fresh water available at all times and has access to full bucket of water (which he never finishes) in his stall when everyone comes in at night. He's on a high fat-high fiber, low starch feed...he's been wormed and he's teeth are fine.

What else could cause this? And how can I fix it? I have heard one suggestion that it is due to not drinking enough...how can I encourage him to drink more?

Thanks for all of your help!

When you pinch his skin, say around the neck, does it remain peaked or go back to normal? One indicator of deyhdration.

You could add electrolytes to his feed to increase water consumption.

How was his ppe? Did the vet make note of the sunken flanks or have anything to say about the pony's condition?

Is the pony in work now? Is his muscle tone coming back?

Advice here can be helpful but a vet is your best bet if he doesn't seem quite right.

Good luck!

mingiz

Horse Poor
If he was under weight when you got him. It will take some time for his flanks to fill back in.
Fredsaid2 just about covers everything else..
I have a filly that was 14.3h 3yro and weighed 679 lbs when I got her back in May. She is filling out and starting to get her muscle tone back. She is now at 800lbs and is were she should be...Good luck with yours....

devinej

get him checked for worms anyway!!!! do a fecal exam...worms are getting more and more resistant these days. a friend of mine has a horse and they just can't seem to get rid of his strongyls, even with regular deworming and a powerpack. (and the horse can't gain weight even with plenty of food and weight supplements).

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Mine are starting to plump out back there fairly quickly (like within a month) since i've changed feed. They lost that condition when SS changed the reliance 12% pellet to 11%. They combined the 10 and 12 formulas for an 11%. I don't like it at all. I'm feeding the feed ground at the Henyard, I buy it by the ton now, but the Nutrena feeds are good.

Oh and sand in the gut will keep the weight and muscle tone/condition down or outright poor, too. Have you treated for sand?

ARWB01R

He seems hydrated but I will def try electrolytes.

My vet commented on his overall condition but noted that he should bounce back quickly with grain, good hay, and some TLC.

He is in light work now and is picking up muscle tone and stamina. =] He is gaining weight and I will have him tested to worms and try a different wormer as well.

Thank you everyone for all of your help!

BentleysRider

You can use Sand Clear. We have also used pure psyllium in the past, which is very effective and can be bought in bulk from a natural foods store. It's cheaper that way, if you can find it, and works great. To check for sand in the gut, add a couple of manure balls from the pony to some water, shake or stir hard until they dissolve, then let the water settle. Sand will show up on the bottom of the jar - clear is easiest. The more sand, the more of a problem. We treated a mare for sand colic, and two balls left about 2 tablespoons of sand - so there was a lot that was in her gut. Psyllium got rid of it, and relieved her symptoms.

devinej

fiber drink mix from walmart works too for sand clear - just check that psyllium is the main ingredient! and its a lot cheaper. give him about 1/4 cup per day for about a week.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Mine wouldn't eat that stuff from the grocery store. I might have some left if anyone wants it. Generic Metamucil, orange.

I ended up buying a 100 lb container of straight psyllium from a cattle supply store. I plop 1/2 cup on the feed for 4 consecutive days every month (per Tidewater Vet recommendation). If you feed pellet, you might want to add some corn oil to make it stick to the grain, if not it just goes to the bottom of the feeder (it's a powdery substance). If the grass goes below 3" on pasture or you feed a hay/grain diet you need to treat for sand at least monthly or bi-monthly to keep their gut clear.

Last edited: