poop?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
My stallion does this occasionally (one mare's pile in particular), looks like he's nosing it around, and tasting it, :dead: and I KNOW it's not for lacking something in his diet - hay feeder full of timothy and he's eating Vintage Gold Food. I was standing next to him when he did it one day and used my toe to push his nose out of it, and he actually gave me a dirty look, and smacked his lips at me! {He's super polite and NEVER does that sort of thing, so for him that was naughty behavior}

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
*TMS*Horse Farm said:
Why would a horse that is eatting nutritional food and plenty of grass be eatting his own poop?

I witness that too occationally. I have ample hay and salt available and still I see it sometimes.
I quess it is their "poo-poo platter" :barf:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Why would a horse that is eatting nutritional food and plenty of grass be eatting his own poop?

I think most of the time it is lack of minerals. Even if you are giving them great feed maybe they are not absorbing the minerals as well due to age? an extra mineral supplement may help. Check with your vet tho....

Rescues: horses that have ever been starved, will sometimes do this out of habit even tho they are currently being fed well.

Sometimes, horses eat their manure because it contains undigested grain. This can happen if the horse has teeth issues or is eating too quickly. I think the first thing that you should do is have your horses teeth checked. Also, does your horse bolt its grain? If so, try putting a few large rocks in your horses feeder in order to slow him/her down. It will also help if you give hay at least thirty minutes before grain. That way, by the time it gets the grain, the horse won't be so ravenous, so they should slow down a bit.

Just some things to think about, good luck.

erinjograves

My rescue mare will do this. It has tapered off some, but she still does it occasionally. She will also eat dirt or sand if she is becoming stressed. When we go out on walks I have to watch her pretty close to make sure she isn't eating something she shouldn't.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
My rescue mare will do this. It has tapered off some, but she still does it occasionally. She will also eat dirt or sand if she is becoming stressed. When we go out on walks I have to watch her pretty close to make sure she isn't eating something she shouldn't.

This thread is WAAAY old :biggrin:

PS foals eat mom's poo to get good bacteria from it into their gut...so I wonder if it's a throwback from babyhood?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
This thread is WAAAY old :biggrin:

PS foals eat mom's poo to get good bacteria from it into their gut...so I wonder if it's a throwback from babyhood?

Heh, erinjograves isn't the one who resurrected this thread, countrylady is. I guess she wanted to copy and paste some wisdom/plagiarism.