Pope, resign? What do you think?

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
This is new to me. I didn't even know the Pope had the option to resign. I'd say it is a big deal, because besides the Roman Catholic population, I think that the Pope is probably the most important political figure in the West next to the US pres.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
The Pope is the Pope for life----I've never heard of one resigning since the establishment of the Roman Catholic Church. Tenure has always ended upon death.

B

Bruzilla

A Pope can resign at any time he wishes, and I think this one should. The last few Popes died suddenly, which is different from wasting away from a dibilitating ailment. The truth is that the Pope has a great deal of duties and responsibilities, and this Pope hasn't been able to effectively fulfill those for several years now. A shepherd can't tend to his flock by staying in the tent, and the Pope can't tend to the World's flock by staying in the Vatican. For John Paul to stay on now isn't a sign of dedication, but of ego.

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Spoiled said:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apeurope_story.asp?category=1103&slug=Pope Resignation Debate
In a nut shell people that thinking his resignation is coming, no official word though... Obviously i have never seen a different fella be the pope in my life time so i have no idea how big of a deal it is... is it a big deal? Well input time :)

I remember when he was 'installed' as it were. THis pope has done much for the RC Church, in many many ways. He has been an extremely important catalyst for changes, both good and bad. SOme may say it is egotistical for him to stay on, but if he does, I beleive it is to fulfill one last thing or two, I am sure he feels he has left a lot undone even at this stage of the game. He may be worried about who is slated to take over, politics within the Vatican are just as bad as in the US.

I also think we will see his retirement, rather than his death as Pope. I have always beleived that this pope is a good man, and remember him particularly in a speech he gave in 1980, how kind and thoughtful and peaceful he was. I was what, 11 at the time, but he made an impression on me.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
Bruzilla said:
A Pope can resign at any time he wishes, and I think this one should. The last few Popes died suddenly, which is different from wasting away from a dibilitating ailment. The truth is that the Pope has a great deal of duties and responsibilities, and this Pope hasn't been able to effectively fulfill those for several years now. A shepherd can't tend to his flock by staying in the tent, and the Pope can't tend to the World's flock by staying in the Vatican. For John Paul to stay on now isn't a sign of dedication, but of ego.

First, I have to say that I'm impressed by the Pope's determination and perseverance. Being the Pope, is much more than a job, it is a statement that one is fully committed to following Christ - and if physical and mental suffering intervene, then one continues. This is not a job, but a devotion to God.

B

Bruzilla

citysherry said:
First, I have to say that I'm impressed by the Pope's determination and perseverance. Being the Pope, is much more than a job, it is a statement that one is fully committed to following Christ - and if physical and mental suffering intervene, then one continues. This is not a job, but a devotion to God.

I am impressed too, and I think it can be said, if arguably, that John Paul has accomplished more as a Pope than any other Pope in recent history. I also believe that he's a man of incredible determination, perseverance, and committment to Christ. And if those were the only issues of being the Pope, he should stay on until he dies. Unfortunately, the Pope has much to do in addition to being determined and committed, and he's no longer physically capable of completing those tasks regardless of his determination and committment.

With the Catholic Church falling into disarray more and more every day, they need a leader who can get out and press the flesh; who can travel and help refresh and restore the faith of those who have lost it; and show others that the Catholic Church is still a place of goodness. Right now the Catholic Church is being defined as a club for child molesters, and John Paul isn't in any shape to challenge that image and the faithful are leaving.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
Bruzilla said:
I am impressed too, and I think it can be said, if arguably, that John Paul has accomplished more as a Pope than any other Pope in recent history. I also believe that he's a man of incredible determination, perseverance, and committment to Christ. And if those were the only issues of being the Pope, he should stay on until he dies. Unfortunately, the Pope has much to do in addition to being determined and committed, and he's no longer physically capable of completing those tasks regardless of his determination and committment.

With the Catholic Church falling into disarray more and more every day, they need a leader who can get out and press the flesh; who can travel and help refresh and restore the faith of those who have lost it; and show others that the Catholic Church is still a place of goodness. Right now the Catholic Church is being defined as a club for child molesters, and John Paul isn't in any shape to challenge that image and the faithful are leaving.

No, all is not dark - the Catholic church is not falling into disarray more and more every day, on the contrary, there are many bright spots in the Catholic church. I absolutely agree that the pedophile priests and those that covered for them hurt the church and more importantly profoundly hurt and disgusted the Laity of the church. I don't believe priests are guaranteed by the church to be good men - I never have believed this of priests. The acts of the abusive priests didn't cause me to question my faithfulness to the church because I was taught and still believe that faithfulness is in no way dependent upon the behaviour of priests, or of anyone else. So, I don't believe that the Catholic church needs a Pope that can “press the flesh”.

Toxick

Splat
Spoiled said:
Obviously i have never seen a different fella be the pope in my life time so i have no idea how big of a deal it is... is it a big deal? Well input time :)

I seem to remember when I was a child - a very young child - there was a rapid-fire succession of popes.. I think there were at least 3 or 4 in a very short period of time because 2 or 3 of the popes died very soon after ascending to the papacy.

I do not remember there being that much fanfare, other than basic media coverage. No huge celebrations and fair-days among the Catholic community.

But like I said, I was very young.

And maybe there was a huge amount of fanfare over the first of the rapid-fire popes, but they didn't make a big fuss over the other guys because it was getting tedious.

Foamy

Rules
The Pope is old, all he does is fall asleep in his chair and they have to wake his drooling self up. I hate that and when he talks you cannot understand anything he says, like take the fricken sponge out of your mouth.

Hey Catholics get a younger Pope.