Popping smoke

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Update on the pork butt
154406 154407 154408
Bourbon and vinegar for the base of the mop sauce
Properly dry rubbed butt
Finished product

10/10 with the family, pulled it at 207 after 15 hours at 225.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I purchased a Cuisenart propane smoker right before Christmas, because I couldn't find parts (new racks and chip pans) for my electric Masterbuilt smoker. Figured propane would be a good backup for electric-out possibility.

Did 2 whole chickens and 7 lbs salmon for Christmas dinner. Everything came out wonderful.

Put some bone-in chicken breast in the smoker this morning. Smells good!

I'd use it a lot more often if DH liked smoked meats, but they often upset his tummy. I love the smell and taste of smoked meats, chicken being my favorite.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I like meats that have a light taste of smoke, but not fully smoked. Had some true smoked chicken in Texas and I thought I was eating day-old campfire coals. After a rain.

I like to use a small smoke canister in the grill, it makes smoke for about the first 10 minutes or so, then finish by a normal grill.

kom526

I did reverse seared ribeyes, potatoes au gratin and bacon wrapped bbq shrimp all on the smoker tonight.

The LW was suitability impressed. How impressed remains to be seen. :dye:

Unfortunately, my oldest son has the loss of taste and smell part of Covid so he missed out tonight. I'm sure I'll have to revisit tonight's menu later this year.

kom526

Cook them in the smoker at 220-225 until you hit 115* then drop them in a super hot cast iron skillet or on a ridiculously hot grill for 1-2 mins per side. You could get the same effect cooking in the oven also.

I put a little bit of coarse kosher salt on both sides and let it sit, uncovered in the fridge for 2-4 hrs depending on thickness. Pull them out add coarse black pepper and a wee bit of garlic powder then cook to the internal temp I mentioned above. Easy peasy. If you do the sear indoors, throw some salted butter, thyme and rosemary in for the burn.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Cook them in the smoker at 220-225 until you hit 115* then drop them in a super hot cast iron skillet or on a ridiculously hot grill for 1-2 mins per side. You could get the same effect cooking in the oven also.
Ok. I've done something similar, just never heard it called that. I've done a whole roast, sliced it and threw it on a hot grill.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Smoked 40+ wings tonight...various dry rubs were tried out since he's acquired quite the collection and we prefer non-saucy wings. Made some blue cheese dressing, salad, and jalepeno poppers to go with. Superb. Still stuffed.

kom526

We hit Aldi in Waldorf pre snowstorm ... GOOD CALL! The produce section was a bit picked over but we managed and rolled out with an over flowing cart. We haven't been in several weeks so it wasn't a panic shop. Anyway I picked up some pretty good deals on meat. Whole yardbird .79/lb, NY strips and lamb loin.

Today the lamb is sitting in the fridge with a rub of SPOG and rosemary and it will hit the smoke around 4:30 then a 550° sear on Weber.

Hamburgers are the back up plan.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Sorry, but,

Lamb, :dead:

Though I've never tried it smoked. The texture, I just dont like it.

kom526

Reverse searing is the only way to cook a steak, especially a thicker cut. However, look for good marbling when selecting your steak. We had NY strips tonight, not a lot of marbling and it shows with the end product. The next NY strips I do on the smoker will marinate in a concoction that the LW found that has a fair amount of balsamic vinegar which, I think, makes up for the lack of fat in the steak.
Dry brine w/ kosher salt for 2-4 hours uncovered in fridge
Dry rub with pepper, garlic and onion powder
Cooked @ 225 until I hit 120 (110-115 is better)
Rest for 10 mins
Sear at 450-500 to seal the juices (2 mins max)
Rest 5 mins
Serve