Portable Generator Safety

DeeJay

Administrator
Staff member
During the winter months, State Fire Marshal Brian S. Geraci is reminding the Citizens of Maryland to take care in the use of portable generators. Many people use portable generators during power outages. The most common risks of using the generators are carbon monoxide poisoning, electrical shock, electrocution and fires.

NEVER use portable generators inside a home, garage or shed. USE the GENERATOR OUTSIDE ONLY. Carbon monoxide from portable generators is poisonous and can kill in just minutes. Therefore, make sure you have CO detectors properly installed in your home and that they are working.

While in operation, portable generators should be in a well ventilated area away from all doors, windows and vent openings. Whether your garage is attached or detached to the house, do not use the generator inside. Opening the garage door is not an option. Never refuel the generator while it is in use and before refueling, make sure it has cooled. Make sure fuel is stored in the proper approved container and that the container is stored outside of all living areas.

CO enters the body through breathing. The symptoms of CO poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning and other illnesses. Some symptoms include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, light headed or headaches. High levels of CO can be fatal, causing death within minutes.

More information here: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MDFIRE/bulletins/2218512

Kyle

Having a Beer while the world burns!
PREMO Member
Another :nono: is DON'T plug it into your breaker panel because it can backfeed through the meter onto the powerlines and injure or kill the linemen working to restore power.

Bonehead

You can backfeed or connect to your distribution panel just open the main feeder breaker first to prevent sending current out of your home/business.

glhs837

Power with Control
You can backfeed or connect to your distribution panel just open the main feeder breaker first to prevent sending current out of your home/business.
That means their lives are riding on your remembering to ALWAYS kill the feed from the street. Without an interlock, thats gambling with someone else life. I was leaning that way, but decided against it.

Kyle

Having a Beer while the world burns!
PREMO Member
It would be better if they just didn't until they bring in an electrician to install a proper disconnect and connection for the generator that does not have a direct connection to the meter box.

black dog

Free America
That means their lives are riding on your remembering to ALWAYS kill the feed from the street. Without an interlock, thats gambling with someone else life. I was leaning that way, but decided against it.
A lineman works with an expensive pair of gauntlets on even if the lines are amperage free.
And under most conditions they ground all lines before working on them. No amperage with a ground is safe...

Bonehead

That is why I had a checklist and a written procedure for when I was not present. It worked for me for many years.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've never forgotten to kill the main breaker before firing off any of my generators.

Forgot to hook up the neutral from a genny once though. Bad things happen to anything electronic in the building when you do that. ;-(

black dog

Free America
I've never forgotten to kill the main breaker before firing off any of my generators.

Forgot to hook up the neutral from a genny once though. Bad things happen to anything electronic in the building when you do that. ;-(
I overheated and released the internal smoke in a 4 1/2" Matabo grinder today...

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
PREMO Member
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I would like to add that 10% ethanol gas acts like a sponge to any moisture in the air. If you take the time and money to purchase a portable generator, splurge on ethanol free gasoline and a little bit of stabilizer. Test fire them off every now and then to be sure they are ready to go when you need them. Test the output by plugging a light or power tool into an outlet, as I've seen them loose polarity for no apparent reason. Here's a snow blower carburetor filled prior to last season, but you get the idea. The inside of the cup on the right should be spotless. We call them jelly boogers.

carb02.jpg

black dog

Free America
If you go on eBay, you can buy jars of Lucas replacement smoke. Might be worth a try....
I'll look into it, for a few seconds it was just like Cash's " Ring of Fire " and then Poof and POP...
And the smoke was released.. I bought a few of them from Brian, it will be replaced with another Matabo.. damn good hand tools...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'll look into it, for a few seconds it was just like Cash's " Ring of Fire " and then Poof and POP...
And the smoke was released.. I bought a few of them from Brian, it will be replaced with another Matabo.. damn good hand tools...
I recently bought two more. i keep two in the shop and one in the mobile welder. One of the two we'd been abusing in the shop for more than 10 years finally died and I figured the other could not be far behind it. Absolutely amazing grinders; they far, far outlast every other brand and I know I've tried every one.

Here's the replacement smoke...this one is empty though; I already used it all in my Triumph.

Lucas smoke.jpg

black dog

Free America
I recently bought two more. i keep two in the shop and one in the mobile welder. One of the two we'd been abusing in the shop for more than 10 years finally died and I figured the other could not be far behind it. Absolutely amazing grinders; they far, far outlast every other brand and I know I've tried every one.

Here's the replacement smoke...this one is empty though; I already used it all in my Triumph.

View attachment 126263
I agree, great tools. I have a hand full of them myself, I hate changing one disk to another so I like you just have a bunch of them. I have two super sawzaws and one has age spots on it, you have to shake it to get it to start sawing.. lol..
I though life was slowing me down, but I'm back to 70+ hour weeks plus office time...

Edit... I had complete vibram failure on a pair of Redwings yesterday while walking though one of the plants we are working in.. Elect tape got me through that day and last night I grabbed the sole of the other boot and it peeled off as well.. Not happy with Redwings..
IMG_20181216_101246375.jpg

Last edited: