Posh squatters milk eviction loophole

Monello

I'm a credit to my gender
PREMO Member
They should amend the law that states that anyone that abuses the eviction loophole gets sent to prison. Clearly the no eviction rule was to protect people that lost their jobs and are unable to pay rent on their primary home.

Some people have no shame. Landlords have rights too. Time to stop catering to the grifters of society.

Some unscrupulous tenants in the tony Hamptons are using the state’s non-eviction order to squat in style, local landlords and real-estate brokers claim.

The short-term renters moved into their beach-town pads on Long Island before the coronavirus struck and Gov. Andrew Cuomo enacted a moratorium on evictions till at least Aug. 20 to protect those financially struggling amid the pandemic.

The tenants are now allegedly twisting the non-eviction order to their benefit, refusing to vacate their prime summer pads even though their leases are up — and exasperated local landlords say there is nothing they can do about it.

“We’re not talking about poor people,” a frustrated homeowner said of his tenant, who began paying $3,600 a month in October to rent the Sag Harbor property — and then claimed he didn’t have the money to pay for April, and just never left.

The homeowner said he could be getting $15,000 for the property for the month of May alone — and at least $55,000 to rent the home between Memorial and Labor days.

A female landlord in Watermill said she began renting several rooms of her home to a “very nice” woman and her teenager in the fall for $1,600 a month.

Her tenants stopped paying rent in March, after Cuomo said there would be a freeze on evictions, the homeowner said.

Andrew Saunders, founder of Saunders & Associates, a top Hamptons brokerage firm, was one of several real-estate professionals who told The Post that such scenarios are playing out across the area.
“The laws as they are in New York allow it to happen,” he said. “It’s an unintended consequence of newer laws that prevent people from being evicted right now.
hire a few leg breakers to take care of your problem

DaSDGuy

Show up at the property at all hours and blast air horns so they cant sleep. The rental agreement never claimed to guarantee quiet. Invite a few of your friends over and move in too. Then eat nothing but Taco Bell for lunch and dinner. Throw away all the food in the fridge too. Just say you were cleaning.

black dog

Free America
Its time for spring home maintenance.... Send in service guys to remove all appliances.... No stove, refrigerator, hot water, ac and pull the breaker panel....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think people are too nice, or maybe it's just that I'm over that chit. I'll bet I could get those people out of there in like two seconds. A few years ago there was this thing about people would go on vacation or something and shitbags would move into their house and declare squatter's rights.

Squatter's rights. :roflmao:

Anybody need someone evicted? I'm for hire.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No lie, I have friends who will have something going on and I'm like, "Do you want me to take care of that for you?" and they're, "No, because you're mean."

You either want your problem fixed or you don't.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Well when the banks foreclose and evict everyone .... then what ?

Exodus from NYC: The young join the rich in ditching the Big Apple as the coronavirus economic downturn drives professionals out and companies accept staff permanently working from home
  • The coronavirus lockdown has left young New Yorkers reconsidering the city's high cost of living
  • People who can work remotely are eyeing the suburbs or contemplating moving back home with their parents
  • A recent survey found 69% of people in tech and finance said they would leave New York if they were given the option to work from home permanently
  • Twitter, Facebook and Spotify recently announced they will allow employees to work from home long-term
  • Pat Stedman, 31, a dating and relationship coach, said the pandemic has only sped up his and his wife's exodus from the city and now plans to work remotely from overseas
  • Many residents have also expressed concerns over whether New York City will successfully bounce back when it finally reopens in the coming months
  • Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19