Post Game Show...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
#1. Congrats, Patriots!

Eagles, wow, has anyone ever had a worse good game than McNabb? Nobody throws for those kind of numbers, fourth most yards in Super Bowl history, against the Patriots! Not Peyton, not the Rams. Nobody. He made some unbelievable throws and some horrific throws.

The Eagles paid for their mediocre offensive line, no running game and Donovan pressured relentlessly. To much pressure on one guy.

The Pats reaped the reward of their above average offensive line.

Brady is human. He played good, not great.

TO might not be. I don't like him at all, but he very much deserves HUGE credit for not only making it back but playing very, very well. He did not have his full speed but still, Kudos.

The Eagles get a huge :scratchinghead: for their time management on the last TD drive, TERRIBLE, and even more head scratching waiting for the onsides kick. McNabb is walking around aimlessly like a punter. Where the hell was his coordinator? How come they weren't plotting their next move?

The Phreak phailed. Kearse=non factor.

All in all a very good game. The Pats prove once again, they ain't dominant, they're just good enough with yet another 3 point Super Bowl win.

The Eagles just need to build a durable running game in the offseason.

And maybe be a little better prepared for crunch time.

The Pats are losing both coordinators. I thing they're done. The ride is over. You can't lose 2/3 of that awesome coaching staff and still win Super Bowls.

You heard it here first!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Larry Gude said:
All in all a very good game. The Pats prove once again, they ain't dominant, they're just good enough with yet another 3 point Super Bowl win.
You win 3/4 Superbowls and you AREN'T dominant?? HUH???

I guess it really pisses people off that they do it without the HUGE superstars being drfted from other teams.. most of 'em are has-beens that other teams wrote off..

And then the words from Cory Dillon at the end of the game.. no ME ME ME.. Paraphrased "thank god, THANK my coaches for believing in me.. etc.." CLASS act how friggin refreshing to see that.. instead of a multi-million dollar primadonna that should be in the WWE not the NFL..

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Larry Gude said:
#1. Congrats, Patriots!

Eagles, wow, has anyone ever had a worse good game than McNabb? Nobody throws for those kind of numbers, fourth most yards in Super Bowl history, against the Patriots! Not Peyton, not the Rams. Nobody. He made some unbelievable throws and some horrific throws.
I couldn't agree with you more.

In the first quarter, everything McNab threw was either off the mark, or a receiver dropped it. The interception at the 3 or 4 yardline, in the first quarter when Philly was driving, made be bolt out of my chair with not a few nice things to say about McNab. He underthrew that ball, and the defender made a good grab; he shouldn't have had a shot at it, I thought. Honestly, at the end of the first quarter, I was disgusted with McNab.

Then, he seemed to gather himself and started throwing some great passes; that's how they scored.
But then the running game never got into rhythm, nor was it able to make the NE defense respect the passing game. When Philly tried a screenplay, NE sniffed it out, and either stopped the Eagles for a loss or no gain.

As I saw it, that was the story of the game.

Both defenses lived up to their ratings, that is for sure.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Uh...no...

I guess it really pisses people off that they do it without the HUGE superstars being drfted from other teams.. most of 'em are has-beens that other teams wrote off..

If you've followed any posts I've made about the Pats you'll find nothing but repsect and admiration for their organization and players.

Having said that, winning by three points is not dominant by anyones standard, except, I presume, yours. The pastings Dallas and Washington and San Fran have laid on people is dominant. The Steelers were dominant in their wins. Teams didn't have a chance at the end to win.

Troy Aikman said during the game that he thinks what the Pats are doing now is more impressive that what his 3 wins in 4 years Cowboys did. It's much harder today to build a domiant team. No one has. But the Pats simply find a way to win.

I applaud them.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Larry Gude said:
If you've followed any posts I've made about the Pats you'll find nothing but repsect and admiration for their organization and players.

Having said that, winning by three points is not dominant by anyones standard, except, I presume, yours. The pastings Dallas and Washington and San Fran have laid on people is dominant. The Steelers were dominant in their wins. Teams didn't have a chance at the end to win.

Troy Aikman said during the game that he thinks what the Pats are doing now is more impressive that what his 3 wins in 4 years Cowboys did. It's much harder today to build a domiant team. No one has. But the Pats simply find a way to win.

I applaud them.

WHy do you have to have HUGE wins to be dominant?? The point is they WIN.. one point or 100 points.. a win is a win!! ANd how many games have they won in the last two years??

That just shows intelligence and cunning.. they have probably won a few games over teams that were better then them, but it was a well thought out game, played by intelligent players, led by intelligent coaches.. and NO Pittsburgh was NOT one of the better teams..

D

dmc854

COgratulations to a team that plays and wins with class!!!

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Did you catch TO playing the race card in the post game interview? I heard him on the radio the morning whining that If Brett Fahvre had rushed back from a leg injury they would have called him a warrior, but what respect does poor TO get? :bawl: :wah: :tantrum

The Eagles played a fine game overall, although they could have used a run offense and better time management, especially at the end of the game. Oh well, as the "tomorrow" commercial said. As of today we're all undefeated!

D

dmc854

I just plain ole enjoyed the game..At least it wasn't a blowout and a friend won $250.00. Now I have to go months without watching my boys in tight pants and shoulder pads! :lmao:

mainman

Set Trippin
I have never seen worse use of the clock late in the game down by 2 scores....ok, maybe the redskins but DAYUM!!!! :confused:

SmallTown

Football season!
damn larry, why the sour grapes towards the pats? Heck, just getting to the super bowl is tough enough, now you want to the team to win by 30? Do we forget that the team on the other side of the ball also has highly paid athletes and coaches?

Blowing out teams isn't always a sign of dominance. Sometimes things just fall into place on a given day. The NFL isn't like college ball. In the NFL, a three point win is just as satisfying as a 40point win.

I'm sure Gibbs would have really enjoyed a few more "not so great" three point wins this year :ohwell:

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
Outstanding defensive game by both teams. Good, but not great performance by Brady. McNabb kept getting frustrated by the Patriot defense and it showed in some of his interceptions how desperate he started to get. Suprise player of the game? T.O. - everyone uncertain if he was going to actually play an active role or if they were going to mainly use him as a decoy against the Patriot defense. Impressive plays by T.O. considering he hadn't played in 7 weeks. Bruschi still dominating at the linebacker position. Patriots made A LOT of mistakes last night which left my head shaking during the game. They really didn't hit their stride until the second half. Worst use of time management I've ever seen by an NFL team the last 2 minutes. You Eagles fans must have been SCREAMING at the TV's!!! Even their offence center saw the need for no-huddle offense, tried to line up at the ball and McNabb calls him back into a huddle! Patriots new they needed to contain McNabb and the backfield to prevent rushing yardage and adjusted their defense accordingly holding McNabb to 0 yards rushing (suprise stat of the game).

Overall - a nail biter at the end. Close game. That's the way Super Bowls should be! No one likes to watch a blow out game...they lose interest and turn the game off.

Great Job Patriots!!!!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Voter2002 said:
Bruschi still dominating at the linebacker position.

Great Job Patriots!!!!!
I would have liked to see Bruschi get the MVP.. would have been UNBELIEVABLE.. a defensive player.. but he was SOOO dominating the whole game..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
A better question...

WHy do you have to have HUGE wins to be dominant??

...might be 'why are you guys so defensive about the Patriots legacy?'

I've applauded them without reservation for what they've done but I have reservations about where they stand all time. They've been the best team in football for four years. They coach and play like everyone would like their team to coach and play. They have a roster chock full of TEAM players not selfish superstars.

All I've said is that they are not and have not been dominant. They have the trophy they earned and that's all that matters from a win/loss standpoint.

If having a conversation about where they stand all time is not too uncomfortable for you guys then no, they are not in the same class as the Steelers dynasty nor the Montana/Rice/Lott 49'ers nor the Aikman/Irvin/Smith Cowboys nor the Gibbs Super Bowl 22 and 26 winners. The 85 Bears were better as were the early Packers and probably the Raiders of time periods were better.

Those teams did not win by a field goal or one great play. They obliterated opponents and, in the case of the Redskins, stomped the favorite.

If Vinaterri misses in SB 36 or 38 or 39, they go to OT. Dominant teams could have left their kickers at home. Dominant teams don't go to OT in the Super Bowl. Nobody was left wondering who was better after the Skins, Steelers, 9'ers, Boys and Raiders left the field.

The Rams, Panthers and now the Eagles all knew that, save for a play or two, they would be the champs.

It's two different conversations.

READ: Great job Patriots! You earned it!

B

Bruzilla

Exactly what about the Patriot's play has been "dominant"? The closest that I think they come to being dominant is on Defense. I've only watched four Patriots games this year, and I don't see anything special in Tom Brady's offense. The Steelers focused on running the ball on Halloween, and forced Brady into making loads of mistakes. For some reason, Cowher decided to try an air show during the championship game, despite the fact that the Patriot defense had just emasculated the Colts for doing that. Now the Patriots take down the Eagles the same way. It's pretty easy to eventually score points when the Defense is constantly getting the ball back for you. Left to his own deep in his own territory, or when he's down a couple of touchdowns. Brady is not very effective. When you've got some defensive folks with a knack for interceptions, going against a team that throws 51 passes, and the winners only win by three points... that's not dominant play.

Agee

For comparisons sake...

Teams that have won at least three NFL Championships witin a five-year span.

2001-2004 New England Patriots

Super Bowl titles 3 (2001, 2003, 2004)
Regular-season record (48-16) (.750)
Postseason record 9-0 (1.000)
Longest winning streak 21 (2003-2004)

Pro Bowlers: Tom Brady, Troy Brown, Larry Izzo, Ty Law, Willie McGinest, Lawyer Milloy, Richard Seymour, Adam Vinatieri, and Damien Woody

1974-1979 Pittsburgh Steelers

Super Bowl titles 4 (1974, 1975, 1978, 1979)
Regular-season record (67-20-1 ) (.767)
Postseason record 13-2 (.867)
Longest winning streak 12(1978-79)

Hall of Famers: Mel Blount, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Greene, Jack Ham, Franco Harris, Jack Lambert, Chuck Noll, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, and Mike Webster

1992-1995 Dallas Cowboys

Super Bowl titles 3 (1992, 1993, 1995)
Regular-season record (49-15) (.766)
Postseason record 10-1 (.909)
Longest winning streak 10 (1993-1994)

Pro Bowlers: Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Daryl Johnston, Nate Newton, Jay Novacek, Emmitt Smith, and Mark Stepnoski

1961-67 Green Bay Packers

Super Bowl titles 2 (1966, 1967)
Other NFL titles 3 (1961, 1962, 1965)
Regular-season record (74-20-4) (.776)
Postseason record 9-0 (1.000)
Longest winning streak 12 (1961-1962)

Hall of Famers: Herb Adderley, Willie Davis, Forrest Greg, Paul Hornung, Henry Jordan, Vince Lombardi, Ray Nitschke, Jim Ringo, Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, and Willie Wood

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
Thanks for the stats airgasm! Looks to me like the Patriots deserve to be called a dynasty like the old Steelers, Cowboys, Niners........

Let me define my meaning of "dominate" for the rest of this post - a team that overpowers all others through game wins and high scoring games against opponents - including blow-out Super Bowl games.

No - the Patriot's didn't "dominate" like days of old...but the "days of old" are exactly that. In this era of free-agency, salary caps, expansion...I really don't think you'll see any team "dominate" a whole decade again. It will come to to occasional blow out Super Bowl games...but I believe that the Super Bowls this decade and future decades will be a lot of hotly contested and closer scoring games. So it boils down to stats like Airgasm provided..and damned if the Patriots aren't right up there with all the GREAT teams of the past.

Now come on...let's hear..."it's not the same" and " you can't compare dynastys of old with today's teams".....I know you want to say it....
So that means there can be no more dynastys? Why not? And if you wait around a whole decade for a team to "dominate" the decade, the decade will probably come and go without any team "dominating" the league. So if the "dominating" label is taken out of the equation, it boils down to stats and their comparasion with dynastys of the past - not just game scores. So it is only reasonable to allow the Patriots the label as a dynasty of this decade - 3 Super Bowl wins in 4 years this decade, regular season record of 48-18, a post-season record of 9-0 and a 21 game winning streak....

On the other side, with a handful of Super Bowls left to go this decade, if one team pops up, dominates the league and wins at least 4 of those Super Bowls - THEY would deserve the dynasty label.

But for now, the Patriots ARE the dynasty of this decade.

SmallTown

Football season!
Hey Voter, regardless of term "domination", I bet every other team out there would love to say they had won the last 3 of 4 super bowls, and they wouldn't give a rat's ass if people defined it as dominant. I would say the patriots should just smile and wave at anyone who makes such comments. But I'm not sure any of them can raise their hand with all of those rings on :lmao:

Agee

SmallTown said:
Hey Voter, regardless of term "domination", I bet every other team out there would love to say they had won the last 3 of 4 super bowls, and they wouldn't give a rat's ass if people defined it as dominant. I would say the patriots should just smile and wave at anyone who makes such comments. But I'm not sure any of them can raise their hand with all of those rings on :lmao:
Hell, several teams would be happy with just one Super Bowl win!