Potato Candy

janey83

Twenty Something
I learned how to make potato candy last night -- it sounds weird, but I swear it's good!

ingredients:
--a potato or 2
--confectioner's sugar
--peanut butter

*peel as many potatoes as you'd like, cut them in chunks and boil -- boil in saucepan until potato begins to fall apart easily in the water.
*drain potatoes & remove from heat
*mash potatoes & add about a cup of confectioner's sugar slowly as you make a dough-like mixture...keep adding the sugar until you have a good dough to work with
*on a sheet of wax paper, roll out your "dough" mixture into a rectangle shape
*spread peanut butter over the flat dough, as if you were buttering a slice of bread
*roll the dough into a cylinder shape, making it as tight as possible
*after that, then roll the wax paper around the dough and store in the refrigerator overnight
*once it gets a chance to harden, it's delicious -- but beware, it's very sweet!

Enjoy!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
It's awesome. We used to make it all the time - it was very popular in the PA Dutch area where my dad was from. But make sure you use a very small potato. You'd be amazed at how much confectioners sugar a potato can absorb.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My grandmother used to make this for us. She called it Depression Candy because that's what her mother used to make them when they were kids and couldn't afford anything else as a treat. Sometimes she'd skip the peanut butter and mix in some kind of extract and some food coloring, then press a pecan half on top of each slice. :yum:

KCM

Right Where I Belong
BadGirl said:
It's awesome. We used to make it all the time - it was very popular in the PA Dutch area where my dad was from. But make sure you use a very small potato. You'd be amazed at how much confectioners sugar a potato can absorb.
:yeahthat: My mom and grandmother would make it all the time.:yum: But it can be VERY sweet. I could only eat one piece.:lol:

Llwynog

Thats Welsh for fox.
janey83 said:
I learned how to make potato candy last night -- it sounds weird, but I swear it's good!

Enjoy!

My grandma use to make that! You've just made me so happy:bawl:. :sniff: I realy am happy, I just miss her.

janey83

Twenty Something
KCM said:
:yeahthat: My mom and grandmother would make it all the time.:yum: But it can be VERY sweet. I could only eat one piece.:lol:

It is! I only had a few pieces last night; my friend came over and had this ziploc bag of this white gooey stuff and I was asking what it was...and he went on about this "potato candy" and of course, I thought it sounded disgusting. But he was about to make another batch, so I helped out. Then he gave me a ziploc full of it, so now I have quite a supply in the fridge. Plus...today was chocolate fest day at the student center...and it was FREE...so I got some chocolate today, too. Ooof, I can't eat anymore sweet stuff. Well, maybe a little bit at dinner. :snacks:

Vince

vraiblonde said:
My grandmother used to make this for us. She called it Depression Candy because that's what her mother used to make them when they were kids and couldn't afford anything else as a treat. Sometimes she'd skip the peanut butter and mix in some kind of extract and some food coloring, then press a pecan half on top of each slice. :yum:
:yeahthat: That's what my Mom called it. Depression Candy. Had it as a kid.

morganj614

Sharon said:
I'll bet my sons would like them. I'd cheat and use instant potatoes.

I'm with Sharon on trying the instant (but not the garlic :dead: ..lol). I have never heard of this stuff before.