Potomac River Bridge

lucky_bee

RBF expert
CHART shows it as being messed up until 3PM for bridge repair. http://www.chart.state.md.us/travinfo/default.aspx

That plus its Thursday. During the summer this thing is backed up every Thursday and even worse on Fridays for weekend summer traffic. It can get awful real quick and with all the construction they've been doing lately it'll take you all afternoon to go from Newburg to King George. Sometimes I can't even cross over 301 to get to WalMart for a quick stop after work on Thurs/Fridays :shrug:

Well, let's see.... it's still in Maryland, so taking example from the 234 reconstruction from the wash-out going on 2 years now for a very simple bridge, I'd say 5 years.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I hate that bridge when it's down to 1 lane. You can feel it sway in the breeze when you are standing still. I'd rather go over it going 50mph and be ignorant to the fact that it is shaking.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Years ago I was working over in Dahlgren during the summer. During that time they were also working on the bridge. We were near the top, sitting as the SB folks were taking their turn on the one lane that was available. We had a box truck coming towards us and it drifted into our lane. I was riding cherry in a single cab pickup and somehow, my stepdad ended up on my lap with the truck in park. (He never figured how he managed that). That was a fun time.

vince77

Get used to a bottleneck at the bridge. More and more travelers are choosing route 301 as an alternative to the never ending delays on 95 going north.

Hannibal

Think it's bad now, wait a couple more years. The design for the new bridge is nearly complete. I believe SHA is starting to work on land acquisitions as we speak. Since they really can't take much/any land moving towards the power plant, it looks like the marina/campground will be taken (a large chunk). Haven't seen the final plan so I am not sure if they plan to add a new span and rehab the existing (2 lanes on the new / 2 lanes on the existing) or build a new one and demo the existing. Either way, it's going to a be a big job. And as all roadway construciton in history has proven - traffic will move SOO much better while work is taking place (sarcasm).

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Well, let's see.... it's still in Maryland, so taking example from the 234 reconstruction from the wash-out going on 2 years now for a very simple bridge, I'd say 5 years.
WTF is it with southern MD and building/repairing small bridges?? Remember the one at Clements? Took what, a year to re-do that little thing?

We're wrapping up a 103,000 square foot middle school that started by demoing the old school in April of 2013, clearing the lot and building from scratch the new building. Down here they can't refurbish a little tiny bridge in under a year. UFB!!