Poutine?

Clem72

So all of this discussion about regional cuisine has reminded me that despite an interest in trying this dish I have never noticed it on a menu. Does anyone know of a location in Southern Maryland where I could try it? Please don't tell me to look a recipe up, first off I would have no way of knowing if it was a decent representation, and second I am a shet cook if it isn't a hunk of meat.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
It's on the Ruddy Duck menu. Or maybe not. Google said it was, I don't see it on the actual website menu.

Had to look it up, never heard of it.

Heritage 485 in Prince Frederick.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Poutine is a Canadian thing and it has too much goober going on for me. When we were in Montreal I tried a number of their delicacies but poutine wasn't one of them.

What's weird is that Canadians know their way around a French fry - no kidding, every place I had them they were thin and crispy and lightly greasy and salty. Perfect! So why they'd want to smother those little planks of perfection with cheese and (urk) gravy is beyond me.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Pax RIver Ale House serves them, but call them Ale House Fries and also have Beef Brisket Trimmings added to them. I've tasted them and they were good, but I'm not a big fan of gravy.

Pax River Ale House

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought that was ketchup chips.

Let me just stop you right there - ketchup chips are delicious. So are "All Dressed" chips.

That's why I don't understand poutine. Canadians do so many great things with potatoes - why? WHY??? :cds:

limblips

I can't believe that people who eat that excrement they call stuffed ham are dissing poutine! Poutine requires fresh cut russet fries, fresh cheese curd, and homemade brown gravy. I don't know of anywhere to get fresh curd around SOMD. All I have ever seen is the packaged stuff that's full of preservatives and pasteurized. Yuck.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I can't believe that people who eat that excrement they call stuffed ham are dissing poutine! Poutine requires fresh cut russet fries, fresh cheese curd, and homemade brown gravy. I don't know of anywhere to get fresh curd around SOMD. All I have ever seen is the packaged stuff that's full of preservatives and pasteurized. Yuck.
You can get very good squeaky cheese at the Amish market in Annapolis

stgislander

PREMO Member
There's an Amish operation around Morganza that makes cheese curd. Keep'in It Local (when they were still in open) sold it.

glhs837

Power with Control

Me, I'm with you, no use for stuffed ham. Got some fresh curds at a gas station up in Canada while up there doing some testing. Very tasty.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I am not a southern marylander, not even from south of the Mason-Dixon line, but I do like stuffed ham.
The spicier the stuffing the better. Maybe because I like greens and stuff.

I'm with Kyle on this, I like my fries unadulterated. Not that I won't dip them into a good sauce but definitely don't want them covered in gravy and goo

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I am not a southern marylander, not even from south of the Mason-Dixon line, but I do like stuffed ham.
The spicier the stuffing the better. Maybe because I like greens and stuff.

You either love it or hate it. I happen to love it and spicy stuffing is a must. Now I want some! :tantrum

I'm with Kyle on this, I like my fries unadulterated. Not that I won't dip them into a good sauce but definitely don't want them covered in gravy and goo
Ed Zachary! :high5: I don't want cheese, gravy, or any other thing on them except salt. I don't really care for ketchup on them, either. In a rare splurge, I got some fries from Sheetz last night and dipped them in boom-boom sauce. Yum! 😋

limblips

Ed Zachary! :high5: I don't want cheese, gravy, or any other thing on them except salt. I don't really care for ketchup on them, either. In a rare splurge,
Another French Canadian thing is white vinegar on your fries. Quite good. Think salt and vinegar chips.