Poutine?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Another French Canadian thing is white vinegar on your fries. Quite good. Think salt and vinegar chips.
Ick. Can't stand salt and vinegar chips. I don't like white vinegar for the most part. I have had some fries with a reduced balsamic vinegar that were tasty and malt vinegar is good, too.

limblips

PREMO Member
To reconcile the two camps of haters here, I propose a wonderful SoMD-Québécois dish:

Poutine with chopped up stuffed ham and crab meat. Think about it.
There is a restaurant in Norfolk, VA that serves "poutine" with lump crab meat topping. What a way to ruin two fantastic gastronomical delights.

Grumpy

I always thought french fries with brown gravy was a Baltimore thing.
Thats pretty much what I thought. I was working in the late 60s, construction in Columbia, MD..and the place we used to go for lunch occasionally had Fries with gravy..thought it so weird, never ordered it but saw alot of people get it. Granted, it wasn't that far from where I grew up in PG but I had never heard of it and figured it was a Baltimore thing.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Thats pretty much what I thought. I was working in the late 60s, construction in Columbia, MD..and the place we used to go for lunch occasionally had Fries with gravy..thought it so weird, never ordered it but saw alot of people get it. Granted, it wasn't that far from where I grew up in PG but I had never heard of it and figured it was a Baltimore thing.
That's the first place a waitress ever asked if I wanted gravy on my fries.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Never ran into that one.

Just a bit tangy

Lay's Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips 2/$1 or $.59 Ea ...

SamSpade

I've wondered about finding a way to try them. Know a guy who unwittingly destroyed his home by overcooking them.

Personally, I don't like anything on my fries - it makes me wince when waitstaff or someone at a fast food place runs down the list of sauces they have for them AFTER I've said no thanks. Hot, and salted. A little greasy. Maybe Old Bay - garlic - seasoned salt - but no liquids.

Unless they're bad - then ketchup.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've wondered about finding a way to try them. Know a guy who unwittingly destroyed his home by overcooking them.

Personally, I don't like anything on my fries - it makes me wince when waitstaff or someone at a fast food place runs down the list of sauces they have for them AFTER I've said no thanks. Hot, and salted. A little greasy. Maybe Old Bay - garlic - seasoned salt - but no liquids.

Unless they're bad - then ketchup.
I grew rather fond of the "chip sauce" they put on their fries over in southern UK. Back when Bear Creek was still open and had great Old Bay seasoned fries, I'd always get an extra container of BBQ sauce just to dip the fries in...

Miker/t

In Minnesota we had poutine made with tater tots instead of fries. Maybe that would be more acceptable?

Clem72

I am not a southern marylander, not even from south of the Mason-Dixon line, but I do like stuffed ham.
The spicier the stuffing the better. Maybe because I like greens and stuff.

I'm with Kyle on this, I like my fries unadulterated. Not that I won't dip them into a good sauce but definitely don't want them covered in gravy and goo

I am not a fan of the ham. But I gave up saying it to friends at work because they invariably brought me some of their favorite (home made, store bought, etc.) to change my mind, which I had to graciously accept and then choke down.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
So all of this discussion about regional cuisine has reminded me that despite an interest in trying this dish I have never noticed it on a menu. Does anyone know of a location in Southern Maryland where I could try it? Please don't tell me to look a recipe up, first off I would have no way of knowing if it was a decent representation, and second I am a shet cook if it isn't a hunk of meat.
Heritage 485 has or has had them on the menu.

I'm not a fan of gloppy gravy, anyway. ( :yikes: I know - crazy!! )

BUT! the Poutine fries that Heritage has/had were good - in very small quantities, for my personal taste. Their menu item was/is very much a shareable portion with more than 1 person. Otherwise :dead:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I can't believe that people who eat that excrement they call stuffed ham are dissing poutine! Poutine requires fresh cut russet fries, fresh cheese curd, and homemade brown gravy. I don't know of anywhere to get fresh curd around SOMD. All I have ever seen is the packaged stuff that's full of preservatives and pasteurized. Yuck.

Stuffed ham in no way, shape or form compares to a potato sliced, fried, and smothered in gravy and cheese droppings.

Stuffed ham is actually a balanced meal - meat, stuffed with vegetables, and served together. Lots of cultures do that. 🤷

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In Minnesota we had poutine made with tater tots instead of fries. Maybe that would be more acceptable?

I don't want anything on my tots, either. Loaded tots and tot nachos are becoming a thing in restaurants - barf. Way to ruin a perfectly good tot.