Powerball 1.9 Billion Dollar Prize Could Also Be Curse

Clem72

Lots and lots of financially irresponsible people play the lotto, possibly moreso than otherwise. And lots of financially irresponsible people have friends and family that are also irresponsible.

Makes sense they lose the money and/or have tons of family drama.

I play the lotto every once in a while for a few bucks, so i'm never going to win. But if I did, this wouldn't be an issue:
A) I'm old and have managed my finances well for more than 4 decades.
B) Most of my family is dead or so distant they might as well be. If my cousins who I haven't seen in 25 years start trying to friend me on facebook I have zero problem ignoring them. (I don't actually use facebook, but you get it).
C) I would claim the money as anonymously as possible, through an LLC/Trust setup by an expensive lawyer. I would have it immediately invests all funds into blue-chip / dividend aristocrat stocks and would pay myself and my living/close family a percentage of the disbursement as beneficiaries. After being setup, I would no longer be able to modify payouts except during life changing events (deaths/births/etc).

That way I and my close family are set, no one gets fck you money dumped on them to enable poor life choices, and no one can be scammed out of the core funds of the account.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Lots and lots of financially irresponsible people play the lotto, possibly moreso than otherwise. And lots of financially irresponsible people have friends and family that are also irresponsible.

Makes sense they lose the money and/or have tons of family drama.

I play the lotto every once in a while for a few bucks, so i'm never going to win. But if I did, this wouldn't be an issue:
A) I'm old and have managed my finances well for more than 4 decades.
B) Most of my family is dead or so distant they might as well be. If my cousins who I haven't seen in 25 years start trying to friend me on facebook I have zero problem ignoring them. (I don't actually use facebook, but you get it).
C) I would claim the money as anonymously as possible, through an LLC/Trust setup by an expensive lawyer. I would have it immediately invests all funds into blue-chip / dividend aristocrat stocks and would pay myself and my living/close family a percentage of the disbursement as beneficiaries. After being setup, I would no longer be able to modify payouts except during life changing events (deaths/births/etc).

That way I and my close family are set, no one gets fck you money dumped on them to enable poor life choices, and no one can be scammed out of the core funds of the account.
Very similar to my plans if I hit a big jackpot.

However, some of the money would go to buying 1,000 acres or so on a wooded mountainside in New Hampshire.
That would be put into a permanent conservation trust as a memorial forest to my mom and dad.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
2560 acres.

3 or 4 BR house built directly in the middle. High Strength Concrete structure, reinforced, Basement with Built-in safe.

Trenches, ramparts and towers overlooking the approach.

Towers, turrets and battlements built into the structure of the residence.

Motion and Thermal detection systems around the perimeter.

A four lane, ten pin bowling alley built into the basement with a full bar and pool hall.

Bare-ya-cuda

2560 acres.

3 or 4 BR house built directly in the middle. High Strength Concrete structure, reinforced, Basement with Built-in safe.

A four lane, ten pin bowling alley built into the basement with a full bar and pool hall.
Land mines, you forgot the land mines

Grumpy

2560 acres.

Guessing we are gonna have to start calling you King Kyle I.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If my cousins who I haven't seen in 25 years start trying to friend me on facebook I have zero problem ignoring them. (I don't actually use facebook, but you get it).

my 1st purchase is a cash paid for burner phone

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
With that much money you could get a new healthy heart, then get the hookers and blow.
Karl.png

Cocaine makes me a might nervous when I snort it. Mmm Hmm.

Might put me in the state nervous hospital, reckon.