PPI's or H2 blockers - your experiences?

seaturtle

Which have you taken,and did you have any problems? For those who don't know,drugs like Protonix,Prevacid,Prilosec,are PPI's. H2 blockers are cimetidine,Prevacid,etc.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Which have you taken,and did you have any problems? For those who don't know,drugs like Protonix,Prevacid,Prilosec,are PPI's. H2 blockers are cimetidine,Prevacid,etc.

I've gained 20 pounds (Prilosec) in less than two years, but the reflux is gone and my esophagus is erosion free. Google Prilosec and weight gain.

I'll be seeing my doctor next week and I want to try something else. Last time I saw him he said Prilosec would not cause weight gain. I beg to differ. :lol:

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Nexium for 3 years - no weight gain but I watch how much and what I eat. Could be that since you can eat now, you might be eating more or more stuff that causes weight gain.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Nexium for 3 years - no weight gain but I watch how much and what I eat. Could be that since you can eat now, you might be eating more or more stuff that causes weight gain.

No. I love food but no longer have a desire to eat. I force myself to eat bananas, vegetables and fiber one bars. Really.

belvak

Happy Camper
I started out on Prilosec and was able to go to every other day with it. Then, my insurance company nixed the Prilosec and I was switched to Prevacid. It works okay, but if I miss a dose, I can feel it within a couple of hours. Oh, and the OTC Prilosec does nothing!

seaturtle

I've gained 20 pounds (Prilosec) in less than two years, but the reflux is gone and my esophagus is erosion free. Google Prilosec and weight gain.

I'll be seeing my doctor next week and I want to try something else. Last time I saw him he said Prilosec would not cause weight gain. I beg to differ. :lol:

I have read that quite a lot about that drug and weight gain. I've also seen a lot of bad things about H2 blockers,that it can cause severe mood/anxiety/agitation type issues. I already do that naturally a few days a month.

foodcritic

I had them all. Nexium is the best by far. I now take prescription prilosec. Like any drug I think you body will start to compensate over time. Also not sure I like the long term potential side effects. Changing to a less strong medicine may work for some to see if they can stop all together.

What are we doing but masking the underlying problem....loose LES? :popcorn: