Prep H for wound treatment?

Wait4It..boom

Anyone used Prep H on proud flesh in a wound (sorry boys, this isn't the thread where you get to talk about how 'proud' you are)? :drummer:
I suspect there's some small areas of proud flesh and want to curtail it before it gets worse. Currently it's small areas of bubbly white skin and not any huge growths as it potentially could be. I'm not a fan of the caustic materials since they'll eat away the good skin cells so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Prep H.
The wound was a large fileted open section on the leg (wasn't "stitchable" due to location). Put the 'filet' back in place and been wrapping, using polysporin, every 2-3 days. Was going to add Tea Tree oil as an antiseptic but not sure it alone will help with the small areas of bubbly flesh. Vet said will need to continue to wrap it for the next 1.5-2 months.

PrepH4U

Anyone used Prep H on proud flesh in a wound (sorry boys, this isn't the thread where you get to talk about how 'proud' you are)? :drummer:
I suspect there's some small areas of proud flesh and want to curtail it before it gets worse. Currently it's small areas of bubbly white skin and not any huge growths as it potentially could be. I'm not a fan of the caustic materials since they'll eat away the good skin cells so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Prep H.
The wound was a large fileted open section on the leg (wasn't "stitchable" due to location). Put the 'filet' back in place and been wrapping, using polysporin, every 2-3 days. Was going to add Tea Tree oil as an antiseptic but not sure it alone will help with the small areas of bubbly flesh. Vet said will need to continue to wrap it for the next 1.5-2 months.

Nope! :whistle:
Seriously though havent used it, but I have found that African black soap has help remove the proud flesh from my finger. Might want to get some and clean it with that. (all natural) and I have had great luck with the Vetrycin Spray to promote healing on my dog.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I purchased Vetericyn from Elam this past summer and I liked it and have heard great things from everyone else who I've talked to who has used it.

Wait4It..boom

I purchased Vetericyn from Elam this past summer and I liked it and have heard great things from everyone else who I've talked to who has used it.

Did you use it to take care of proud flesh or just to heal a wound? I've heard it works well for wounds but I'm reading about how I'm supposed to scrub layers off proud flesh, etc. and there's just got to be a better way!

DQ2B

I'm currently using Vetericyn (and Underwood Horse Medicine) on a nasty laceration and so far so good but I have also heard that Equaide is especially good for existing proud flesh. Check their web site out. Proud Flesh - EQUAIDE

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Ah, sorry I didn't read well enough to see that you already suspected proud flesh. Vetericyn will not effect existing proud flesh.

You are wrapping the wound to slow down the healing process, when a large wound is present the new skin tends to grow too fast, and too much which causes the proud flesh. Slowing down that process helps prevent it.

If the wound is still open and not covered by proud flesh the vetericyn will help increase blood flow and promote even healing while also keeping the wound clean.

I've heard of numerous remedies for proud flesh including Tresaderm which is a dexamethasone solution, Equaide, panalog (like for your dog's ears), or adolf's meat tenderizer (yes, really).

Wait4It..boom

I had heard of the meat tenderizer too in addition to using lime or Wonder Dust (lime derivative though). Not keen on the lime based products. I put on the Prep H tonite (will let everyone know in a day or two if it works!) while I search for the equaide locally (and maybe meat tenderizer as a last resort). It's not too bad yet but definitely needs to be addressed before it gets worse and I have to get the vet to burn it down. Yikes!!

devinej

elam has some of the equiaide stuff, or something very similar. it seemed to work pretty well on one of the horses at the farm i work for.

C

campinmutt

Granulex is the bomb for open wounds and it "eat s" the proud flesh. keeps the wound looking fresh and pink!!

Wait4It..boom

Thanks Devine and Campin! I called Hatcher's but they don't carry it (closer to the house).
I'll have to take a trip over to Elam's and see what he has (along with all the other items I will buy that I don't necessarily need).
I can say the Prep H has helped slow down the growth of the proud flesh and possibly minimized it to some degree. But it's not nearly as fast as I'd like.

Wait4It..boom

I'm currently using Vetericyn (and Underwood Horse Medicine) on a nasty laceration and so far so good but I have also heard that Equaide is especially good for existing proud flesh. Check their web site out. Proud Flesh - EQUAIDE

Update for those interested - Prep H only kept the proud flesh growth from continuing. It didn't reduce it.

Did use Equaide and the stuff works GREAT! It's not cheap ($30 for a bottle not much bigger than fingernail polish) but it's only taken one bottle to rid the wound of the proud flesh issue. Elam carries it.
It's not too caustic to impact new skin growth either. In fact, each time the bandage was changed, new skin (and hair!) was visibly apparent as it healed. :yahoo: You do have to apply it and change the bandage everyday initially and then every 2 days thereafter. But it beat the cost of the vet to come out, cut it off, and us start all over.

DQ2B

Update for those interested - Prep H only kept the proud flesh growth from continuing. It didn't reduce it.

Did use Equaide and the stuff works GREAT! It's not cheap ($30 for a bottle not much bigger than fingernail polish) but it's only taken one bottle to rid the wound of the proud flesh issue. Elam carries it.
It's not too caustic to impact new skin growth either. In fact, each time the bandage was changed, new skin (and hair!) was visibly apparent as it healed. :yahoo: You do have to apply it and change the bandage everyday initially and then every 2 days thereafter. But it beat the cost of the vet to come out, cut it off, and us start all over.

Glad to hear you had good results with the Equaide. Good stuff to know just in case....BTW, the Vetricyn did a phenominal job on that laceration I mentioned. Horse has NO scar.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

:yay:

will remember this!

Wait4It..boom

Glad to hear you had good results with the Equaide. Good stuff to know just in case....BTW, the Vetricyn did a phenominal job on that laceration I mentioned. Horse has NO scar.

Oh, that's great! We have about a pencil thickness left to heal but so far with the Equaide I don't see a scar either. We started with a fileted leg almost to the bone the dimensions of your palm. We just never got to the point where we could use Vetericyn (possibly could now but we'll just finish off the rest of the Equaide).

***Key with the Equaide though is to wrap the bandage secure enough that it does not slip! Friction and/or too little pressure will allow the proud flesh to take over again since it grows faster than the healing (good) skin cells. ***