preparing for a long trip...

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
I leave next Tuesday for TN for the east finals for ibra. The trip down there is about 13 hrs and we stay until Sunday morning. I’m preparing everything that I should bring with me, and I wanted to get some help on some things I would need. Me and my parents are staying in are tack room of the trailer, their staying on the top part, and I’m staying on a cot below. The place has a shower and all that, and my aunt is going with a big trailer with a living quarter if we need a show, just in case.
This is what I have so far for Flare (taking only one horse):
Health paper
Coggins
4 days worth of grain
4 bales of hay (is that too much?)
2 tubes of electrolytes and some powder type, and a salt block
1 tub of Bute
Muscle relaxer stuff (you rub it on sore muscles)
Polo raps (I’m going to wrap her legs for in the trailer)
And??????
For Me:
Lots of blankets and pillows
long sleeve shirts
Week worth of homework:lmao:
thick jacket, thin jacket
And ??????

Any tips for my horse for the trip would greatly be appreciated!!!

Loper

Animal Poor!
I leave next Tuesday for TN for the east finals for ibra. The trip down there is about 13 hrs and we stay until Sunday morning. I’m preparing everything that I should bring with me, and I wanted to get some help on some things I would need. Me and my parents are staying in are tack room of the trailer, their staying on the top part, and I’m staying on a cot below. The place has a shower and all that, and my aunt is going with a big trailer with a living quarter if we need a show, just in case.
This is what I have so far for Flare (taking only one horse):
Health paper
Coggins
4 days worth of grain
4 bales of hay (is that too much?)
2 tubes of electrolytes and some powder type, and a salt block
1 tub of Bute
Muscle relaxer stuff (you rub it on sore muscles)
Polo raps (I’m going to wrap her legs for in the trailer)
And??????
For Me:
Lots of blankets and pillows
long sleeve shirts
Week worth of homework:lmao:
thick jacket, thin jacket
And ??????

Any tips for my horse for the trip would greatly be appreciated!!!

I've got a couple pairs of shipping boots if you want to borrow them? might be easier than wrapping. Other than that I don't know but GOOD LUCK!

fredsaid2

Two new 5 gal gasoline cans for water. Mark them 'Horse Water Only'. I always take water from home on trips.

Have a great time :smile:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
table salt to rub on gums if she refuses water...especially in the trailer when it is offered

Banamine

take more grain then the days you need it for..same with the hay...

Grooming/bathing stuff/shampoo etc

all your tack

your clothes

extra shoes (for after you bath etc)

extra halter/lead

I like to take a extra show headstall too..

buckets double end snaps for hanging in stall

Shavings for stall

hammer for making no nails are sticking out of stall

let me think...

fredsaid2

2 of these were on my list...a muck bucket to go with the fork..

You posted while I was typing. :smile: I thought of a muck bucket but didn't know how much room they had. My dressing room IS my tack room so I'm pretty much set for anything! What we should really suggest is EVERYTHING she owns, horse wise. :lmao:

Loper

Animal Poor!
You posted while I was typing. :smile: I thought of a muck bucket but didn't know how much room they had. My dressing room IS my tack room so I'm pretty much set for anything! What we should really suggest is EVERYTHING she owns, horse wise. :lmao:

well that's what I was thinking but thought the list would be way TOO long... :lmao:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?

:jameo: I have 2 trucks and 2 trailers..one show trailer and one trail ride trailer..I keep doubles (triples counting the barn) of all kinds of stuff...shampoos/buckets/halters/leads/grooming carts/lunge lines/whips/ locks for your tack stall at a show/sports boots/bute/etc..I keep the trailers stocked so I don't have to do that stuff..

trail riding trailer has all trail tack etc..show trailer has all clothes/tack..I never have to load anything it is there..buckets/carpets for outside/chairs..how can we tell her what to take..I forgot chairs..carpet for under awning..wow the list goes on and on and on...

I did get a surprise today when I tried on all my old show clothes..I have to gain weight I cant afford more custom clothes...

fredsaid2

:jameo: I did get a surprise today when I tried on all my old show clothes..I have to gain weight I cant afford more custom clothes...

Try taking your clothes to a good tailor. Unless you want new they could be taken in. Finding them too big is the nicest surprise when trying on old clothes. Good for you!

showqueen74

Check out horsetrip.com, it will tell you about health cirts, and coggins. There are also horse hotels advertised there. Being a 13 hour trip, you might try it in one shot, but you never know! This is the web sit I used when bringing Flurry over from Wa state, was very usefull.
Good Luck!

Robin

light horse blanket for the cool nights or if it is cool after a run to throw over the horse for a chill and to help keep clean in the stall. stall guard to keep the horse in if needed some public facilities have some crappy doors on the stalls. make sure you have a good spare tire for the trailer and a trailer aide or jack on hand along with the tool to remove the tire if need be. some booboo first aide stuff for the horse. Hay bag or net to hang in the stall like paso said extra extra snaps halter leads and a cross tie you can temp. put in the stall to tack up the horse. good luck and have fun.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
I always take a couple of stud chains too...not for the horse but for hanging buckets or reinforcing the gates to keep your stall door shut.

Also...I never wrap a horse for shipping. I find that the horses that wear shipping boots tend to fidget more that the horses without them. Plus I don't wrap with polo wraps because I don't like keeping polo wraps on horses for more than a couple of hours. I brought two horses from TN a few months ago and they did great, and I just took a colt to Cincinatti and he was fine too. What I will put on the horses in trailers is bell boots in case they get happy feet so I dont risk a shoe getting ripped off. JMO
Have a great trip and GOOD LUCK!

Robin

I always take a couple of stud chains too...not for the horse but for hanging buckets or reinforcing the gates to keep your stall door shut.

Also...I never wrap a horse for shipping. I find that the horses that wear shipping boots tend to fidget more that the horses without them. Plus I don't wrap with polo wraps because I don't like keeping polo wraps on horses for more than a couple of hours. I brought two horses from TN a few months ago and they did great, and I just took a colt to Cincinatti and he was fine too. What I will put on the horses in trailers is bell boots in case they get happy feet so I dont risk a shoe getting ripped off. JMO
Have a great trip and GOOD LUCK!
Absotutely on the wrapping thing I have hauled horses non stop from Fla no wraps....TB Folks...most really dont like them most haulers do not check them and worry about secondary accidents in the back with out supervision. Haul to Kentucky at least bi monthly no wraps horses are better than fine....with and with out shoes. packed like sardines.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
Thank you to everyone!!! I have most of the things yall was talking about, like the muck bucket and muck fork, bottle of bleach water, ECT. And I also keep most of my things in my trailer also... that’s the down fall of not having a proper tack room, everything is in the trailer:lmao:. Anyway I cleaned out the trailer of all the stuff I DON’T need, so we have room to sleep. I’m still debating about wrapping her legs or not... Flare's a big ditz who finds something to get hurt on, and she gets the trailer rocking when we're at a stop light ( the looks of the people in the car beside us is hilarious).
Also another question:
Should I wrap her tail? We leave the hind window open and sometimes the horses hang there tail out, I don’t want it to get caught on something.

Also should I give the electrolytes to her before we leave, while on the rode, or when we get there?

Thanks again!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Should I wrap her tail? We leave the hind window open and sometimes the horses hang there tail out, I don’t want it to get caught on something.

Also should I give the electrolytes to her before we leave, while on the rode, or when we get there?

Thanks again!

I would only wrap her tail if she is the type to sit back on the butt bar..she could be raw by the time you get there...if she is not the type or does not have a butt bar (slant load) then I would not...IF you wrap it know what you are doing because you could KILL the tail on a long haul like that if you do it wrong and loose half her tail bone and all her hair....

With electrolytes it depends on the weather...I would probably stop a and check her a few times and only give it if she is soaking wet..