Presence of 'Forever Chemicals' in Paper Straws Highlights the Inanity of Plastic Straw Bans

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A new study published yesterday by Belgian researchers in the journal Food Additives & Contaminants found that paper straws contained higher concentrations of poly- and perfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS)—more commonly known as "forever chemicals" because of how long they take to break down in nature—than plastic and steel straws.

PFAS are frequently used in consumer products and industrial processes, given their water- and fire-resistant properties. Their use is also controversial given that they can be toxic at high concentrations, and even small concentrations can accumulate in bodies and natural environments over time.

Dozens of states have already passed laws to restrict some PFAS. Similar, unsuccessful efforts have been introduced in Congress. The European Union has also considered banning them.

These efforts have done little to keep forever chemicals out of paper straws, however.

The Belgian study found that, of the 39 brands of straws tested, those made of paper and bamboo were more likely to have PFAS present. Paper straws also had higher concentrations of PFAS than plastic straws.

• Haha
Reactions: BOP

Hijinx

I got a paper straw from McDonald's the other day.
Now i am 80 years old and I remember when paper straws were the only kind.
But they didn't feel as nasty as these things.
The feel of them is really bad to me. They feel fuzzy instead of smooth.

They serve me a soda in a plastic cup , but I am not allowed a plastic straw. WTF?
has the whole world gone crazy?

TPD

the poor dad
I can’t stand paper straws! Now more reason to carry my own plastic straws to bars and restaurants

Reactions: BOP

BOP

A new study published yesterday by Belgian researchers in the journal Food Additives & Contaminants found that paper straws contained higher concentrations of poly- and perfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS)—more commonly known as "forever chemicals" because of how long they take to break down in nature—than plastic and steel straws.

PFAS are frequently used in consumer products and industrial processes, given their water- and fire-resistant properties. Their use is also controversial given that they can be toxic at high concentrations, and even small concentrations can accumulate in bodies and natural environments over time.

Dozens of states have already passed laws to restrict some PFAS. Similar, unsuccessful efforts have been introduced in Congress. The European Union has also considered banning them.

These efforts have done little to keep forever chemicals out of paper straws, however.

The Belgian study found that, of the 39 brands of straws tested, those made of paper and bamboo were more likely to have PFAS present. Paper straws also had higher concentrations of PFAS than plastic straws.

Anyone who's ever smelled a paper mill, especially more than once, intuitively knows this already.

Louise

I got a paper straw from McDonald's the other day.
Now i am 80 years old and I remember when paper straws were the only kind.
But they didn't feel as nasty as these things.
The feel of them is really bad to me. They feel fuzzy instead of smooth.

They serve me a soda in a plastic cup , but I am not allowed a plastic straw. WTF?
has the whole world gone crazy?
Yep.