Preservation or Restoration?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
CC174-FEAT-00.jpg

Although it’s impossible to know the exact amount, unquestionably there’s a finite number of original old cars left in the world. Being the custodians that we are, it is our responsibility to save as many original cars as we can and preserve them so future generations will be able to see firsthand exactly how these automobiles appeared when they rolled off the assembly line for the first time. Sadly, with each passing year the remaining number of original collector cars gets reduced; while some are destroyed in accidents, the majority of them are mainly ruined through unnecessary restorations.

Thankfully, after way too many decades of unwarranted restorations and repaints, simply because the cars weren’t “perfect” for their owners, that mindset has now changed. As a result, the fastest growing trend in the collector-car hobby is that of original cars. Call them what you may—”survivors,” “unrestored originals,” or “HPOFs”—any old car, truck, or motorcycle that retains the majority of its factory-applied paint, upholstery, trim, and mechanical components must be preserved in as-is condition.

CC174-FEAT-01.jpg

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/preservation-or-restoration/?refer=hccweekly

:yay:

Original Looks Good

glhs837

Power with Control
I see no benefit in maintaining rust. That underhood could use a good cleaning but is otherwise fine, but old dirt has no instrinsic worth. That exterior, especially that bumper should be redone.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I see no benefit in maintaining rust. That underhood could use a good cleaning but is otherwise fine, but old dirt has no instrinsic worth. That exterior, especially that bumper should be redone.

I'm no fan of the "keep the patina" fad either.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

That's "Vintage" dirt and rust dammit!!! :mad:

glhs837

Power with Control
Posted for relevance. You could do the thousands of hours trying to restore that sheetmetal. Metal from 1967 that psent years exposed in the Florida salt air, then decades in a barn. What would that cost? I know what the structure looks like, what level of effort would be required to make it even close to it's original limp noodle class rigidity. No way in hell is that remotely worth it. Let that special driverain and original interior live on for a hundred years in a newly pressed body made with far better metal with a much stronger structure.

https://jalopnik.com/this-barn-find-1968-ford-mustang-fastback-came-with-the-1835461062

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
What would that cost?

Have you seen what they do for some of the 'Restoration TV Shows'

but then how much 'original' is left ....

I cannot find the video but there was this 70 / 72 Challenger wreck left in a junk yard for yrs, basically a stripped shell, full on Restoration

and then there is the value of a concours restoration that sells for a million bucks especially Hemi or 440 Models

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
With the value of the 66-77 Broncos in the stratosphere these days, you can buy complete assembled brand new bodies from at least 4 sources now. Price for one complete with doors runs around 12 grand.

NextJen

Raisin cane
So, if I let my '49 Jeep Willys pickup continue to rust before I put it up for sale, I could potentially ask more for it?
Awesome!

glhs837

Power with Control
Have you seen what they do for some of the 'Restoration TV Shows'

but then how much 'original' is left ....

I cannot find the video but there was this 70 / 72 Challenger wreck left in a junk yard for yrs, basically a stripped shell, full on Restoration

and then there is the value of a concours restoration that sells for a million bucks especially Hemi or 440 Models

Right, but those restorations only make sense for pretty rare numbers matching sorts of cars, ones you simply cannot get metal for anymore. they didnt make enough of those Dodges for anyone to make new shells, so that level pays off. Or if you underwrite the manhour cost with what you make on the TV show episodes. Only rare Mustangs make sense for that level. While an R-code fastback is cool, not rare enough for that to make sense.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
While an R-code fastback is cool, not rare enough for that to make sense.

I somewhat agree ....
Have you seen the Aircraft Wrecks being drug from Jungles and the Great Lakes ?
All available airworthy air frames have been gobbled up ... so no collectors are going after what would have been considered scrap 20 yrs ago.
Yes rare there are none left .... is a 390 Fastback Rare today NOPE
25 yrs from now in 2045 .... Probably

There was a story I ran across a couple of yrs back .. this guy pieced together across a couple of GA towns a Mustang with some racing provenance he ended up with what amounted to a roof section, the firewall maybe the rear quarters ... someone else has the Engine and Trans which is where the story started ..... the guy was going to piece it all back together.

yeah again your point is valid ... a 428 CJ with 1000 miles is way more valuable than this R Code 390 TODAY ....

The POINT of the Article and my point is, there is a Finite number of ORIGINAL 1960s Mustangs Left

Yeah I can grab a catalog and build a brand new Mustang, Camaro or Challenger .. Bronco, Jeep Flat Fender / CJ 5 or 7 ... I am even seeing Chevy PU Cabs from the 1950's

I understand the restoration going on basically putting this Mustangs parts on a new body .... I don't see a reason to scrap the shell when finished, I'd be dipping it in some corrosion inhibitor and storing it away for the future.

Image result for p 61 black widow wreck

Related image

wow this was back in the 80's

HIGHLY PRIZED 40'S PLANE STOLEN FROM LAKE MICHIGAN IS RECOVERED BY; F.B.I.

glhs837

Power with Control
I agree with putting the shell in a tank of POR 15 and leavng it. Same way some mines are left alone until the price allows for economical operations.

I remember a story where someone bought new cars, dug a hole, lined it and buried them, hoping to extract them intact years later. When they were unearthed, it was just a pile of rust and rotted rubber.

Here's one: My grandma had one of these.

glhs837

Power with Control
I remember a story where someone bought new cars, dug a hole, lined it and buried them, hoping to extract them intact years later. When they were unearthed, it was just a pile of rust and rotted rubber.

Here's one: My grandma had one of these.

This particular one, IIRC, was placed there as a time capsule. Poorly executed. but the concept was cool.