Pressure Washer?

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
What's a good brand for a residential pressure washer? How many PSI do I need? Gas or Electric? aaaannnnnd...is getting a pressure washer for Father's Day as bad as getting a vacuum on Mother's Day? :burning: :lol:

Chris0nllyn

What's a good brand for a residential pressure washer? How many PSI do I need? Gas or Electric? aaaannnnnd...is getting a pressure washer for Father's Day as bad as getting a vacuum on Mother's Day? :burning: :lol:

Karcher is a good brand, but you really want to focus on the engine and pump of each unit, regardless of the brand name. Personally, I'm a fan of Briggs motors, or Honda (Karcher has Honda engines) and look for brass pumps instead of cast or aluminum.

http://www.sears.com/karcher-1.107-...M7789151528?prdNo=46&blockNo=46&blockType=G46

PSI is relative. Gas pressure washers will have higher PSIs than electric. It also depends what you will be doing with it. Around 2,400psi is probably good for just about any household use (cleaning siding, cleaning the deck, cleaning concrete, etc.) They offer higher PSI, but that can also mean more damage if you aren't careful.

You may also want to look at a unit with a soap reservoir, or soap pick up. It's nice being able to simply add soap or cleaning product and let the pressure washer spray it on rather than spraying the product with something else and pressure washing it off. Typically, there's a specific nozzle for soap dispensing and it works great with cars (just don't get too close).

I've never been a fan of mixing electric with water. That being said, with electric, it's quieter and you don't have to worry about gas, it not starting, etc.

Any power tool is good for any occasion. For me anyway :lol:

Last edited:

limblips

PREMO Member

Pressure is one thing flow is another! Get the highest GPM flow you can afford. Explanation here: http://www.pressure-pro.com/home/pressure-washer-specs-psi-and-gpm/

I prefer gas since I use mine places electricity may not be available. If you get gas, make sure the engine is a name brand (Briggs and Stratton, Honda, etc) instead of one of the Chinese lookalikes.

And if he is holding a man card, a pressure washer is a great Father's Day gift!

:lol: A tool is a great man-gift. Even if he already has one of whatever it is!!

I don't use mine very often, so electric was a better option. Don't have to worry about it fouling and not starting. In my mind, if it's too far for electric, it's too far for water as well, so the elec vs gas argument doesn't hold up for distance. Electric still packs a decent punch, but like what was said, GPM is important. It means the difference between spending a few hours or an entire day on a large project.

glhs837

Power with Control

A: I'm on my second, one of these and I'm quite happy.......

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-2...liant-Cold-Water-Gas-Pressure-Washer/50119641

B: That seems to hit a sweet spot for residential. Not sure the extra 50 buck to go up to 3,000psi is worth it.

C: Electric? Don't bother, don't think I' ever heard of someone happy with those. Buddy of mne thought he was happy with his, til he borrowed my gas model. Then he realized it's night and day.

D: Not at all, if your husband isn't happy with getting a pressure washer, you have a wife.... not that there's anything wrong with that :)

MR47930

I bought the Generac one wash...it has adjustable PSI for different jobs like cleaning off concrete or washing your car, house or whatever.
A powerwasher isn't the same as a vacuum...it has the word "power" in it so that makes it manly.

glhs837

Power with Control
And if you do go gas, whatever you do, do NOT let him feed it gas station gas!!!!!! Get your gas from a marina that has no ethanol. All of my small equipment is much easier to care for since I stoipped using pump gas in them. You can get additives that make the ethanol in pump gas less of an issue, or buy special fuel at Lowes for like $30 a gallon, but for my money, just easier to get yourself a nice meal at Fitzies and bring a 2.5 gallon gas can with you. Enjoy the meal, save your pressure washer.

nutz

A: I'm on my second, one of these and I'm quite happy.......

C: Electric? Don't bother, don't think I' ever heard of someone happy with those. Buddy of mne thought he was happy with his, til he borrowed my gas model. Then he realized it's night and day.

I'm still on my first one of these and couldn't be happier, even though it's electric. 3000 psi and 2.5 gpm. I do have 150 feet of hose and can plug it in to the garage or out at the barn.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200347872_200347872

Attachments

• power washer.jpg
    power washer.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 218
So who wants to get mine running for me? Probably just stuck valves in the carb, but it's not running. Ran great when last used in about 2010. Ran it dry back then, but fill the tank with fuel and it all drains out through the carb it appears. Get it running and you can use it whenever you want to.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm still on my first one of these and couldn't be happier, even though it's electric. 3000 psi and 2.5 gpm. I do have 150 feet of hose and can plug it in to the garage or out at the barn.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200347872_200347872

Damn, for that amount of money, it should take down walls :) Okay, in my defense, I've never met anyone with an $800 electric pressure washer, much more common are these things....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/44782706?...9075648&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=110032041408&veh=sem

limblips

PREMO Member
So who wants to get mine running for me? Probably just stuck valves in the carb, but it's not running. Ran great when last used in about 2010. Ran it dry back then, but fill the tank with fuel and it all drains out through the carb it appears. Get it running and you can use it whenever you want to.

Sounds like yo have a stuck needle valve. If your carb has a float bowl (looks like a miniature cat food can) there is a small nut on the bottom of it. Take it off and remove the float bowl. The float will be visible, move it up and down a few times, that may reseat the needle valve. If that doesn't work you can remove the float and the needle valve will come out too (be careful usually there is a small spring that comes out too!) and there may be some debris in the orifice. It isn't black magic but does require some low level of mechanical ability. There are many people on here that can walk you through it.

Sounds like yo have a stuck needle valve. If your carb has a float bowl (looks like a miniature cat food can) there is a small nut on the bottom of it. Take it off and remove the float bowl. The float will be visible, move it up and down a few times, that may reseat the needle valve. If that doesn't work you can remove the float and the needle valve will come out too (be careful usually there is a small spring that comes out too!) and there may be some debris in the orifice. It isn't black magic but does require some low level of mechanical ability. There are many people on here that can walk you through it.

Yeah, I know how to clean the carb, I'm just being lazy and hoping somebody else wants to do it for me. I'm trying to act like a Bernie supporter. Feel the Bern!

Grumpy

And if you do go gas, whatever you do, do NOT let him feed it gas station gas!!!!!! Get your gas from a marina that has no ethanol. All of my small equipment is much easier to care for since I stoipped using pump gas in them. You can get additives that make the ethanol in pump gas less of an issue, or buy special fuel at Lowes for like $30 a gallon, but for my money, just easier to get yourself a nice meal at Fitzies and bring a 2.5 gallon gas can with you. Enjoy the meal, save your pressure washer.

Pay attention to this post.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

My husband wanted a water filtration system and a 3 month supply of Bug Out survival food for a family of four for Father's Day. I asked him how it was fair that I got a pair of $15 shoes that I didn't even need/want for Mother's Day and he gets $1000 worth of stuff for Father's Day. He said the "gift" wasn't for just him, it was for the whole family. :lol:

nutz

Damn, for that amount of money, it should take down walls :) Okay, in my defense, I've never met anyone with an $800 electric pressure washer, much more common are these things....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/44782706?...9075648&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=110032041408&veh=sem

Well, when you average your 2 vs. my 1, it really isn't that much more. Not trying to bust your balls about it, just that there are more options than people realize sometimes.

Does this also mean that my trim mower is too much? Ferris 36" hydro. Walk behind

glhs837

Power with Control
Wast busting yours, just explaining why I said what I did about electrics. I didnt know electrics that powerful existed.