Prince Frederick, Armory Road Project Plans

Smith

Whenever there is talk of new commercial development in Calvert, there are always concerns about increased traffic. A lot of that traffic is people who travel outside the country to either work or shop, or both. Having more businesses locally could actually alleviate some traffic at Calvert's entry points. It certainly wouldn't increase traffic from Charles, St. Mary's, or Anne Arundel because those counties already have the dreaded big box stores.

calvcopf

The Prince Frederick Wal-Mart is "normal sized", at least for what the company was building when it was constructed. It was the one in Dunkirk that Wal-Mart tried to get cute with.

I would consider the Dunkirk Wal-Mart "normal sized" and the Prince Frederick location "small". I would welcome a Super Wal-Mart in PF. I like good prices and a big selection.

It's supposed to be a free country. I personally hate gov't regulations that hinder business growth.

dilligaf.

The Dunkirk Walmart is awful. Instead of making it a normal sized Walmart, they tried to make the Dunkirk Walmart have less square footage - BUT they cram so much stuff in there that you can't navigate the aisles without boxes being in the way. And finding random stuff where it shouldn't be. Like finding a clip strip of condoms for sale hanging next to the Ragu pasta sauce. The county screwed up by NOT allowing it to be a true big box store with more square footage.

Smith

The Dunkirk Walmart is awful. Instead of making it a normal sized Walmart, they tried to make the Dunkirk Walmart have less square footage - BUT they cram so much stuff in there that you can't navigate the aisles without boxes being in the way. And finding random stuff where it shouldn't be. Like finding a clip strip of condoms for sale hanging next to the Ragu pasta sauce. The county screwed up by NOT allowing it to be a true big box store with more square footage.

The Dunkirk Walmart should have been named Smallmart™

The Prince Frederick Walmart isn't much easier to navigate though. They cram pallets of extra merchandise everywhere, as well as stand-alone displays along the entire perimeter aisle-way.

catlingirl

Nanny Nanny Boo Who to you.:lmao::elaine: I spend lots of time there. I again have another doctor appt. in lovely Prince Frederick this afternoon.

Now that the trailer park is gone, that would be a good site for a home improvement store or townhouse development or highrise condo's like in Chesapeake Beach. :elaine::starcat:

Nope leave the old trailer park alone. I live right by there and we don't need the development and extra traffic. Its bad enough when theres an accident. It floods too much anyway

Chris0nllyn

Nope leave the old trailer park alone. I live right by there and we don't need the development and extra traffic. Its bad enough when theres an accident. It floods too much anyway

Pretty sure it's owned by DNR now and will be a recreational area.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Nanny Nanny Boo Who to you.:lmao::elaine: I spend lots of time there. I again have another doctor appt. in lovely Prince Frederick this afternoon.

Now that the trailer park is gone, that would be a good site for a home improvement store or townhouse development or highrise condo's like in Chesapeake Beach. :elaine::starcat:

A home improvement store which doesn't have enough population density to be successful. Yeah, that's a good idea. There's a reason why Wal-Mart is here and not something "upscale" for those who think they're upscale and why Dunkirk Supply and Sneade's, as well as Lusby Motors, carry the products they do.

Do you mean the condo building where 1/5 of the proposed units aren't finished and 1/3 of the finished ones are empty? That condo building? Calvert (Hell all of SoMD for that matter) is not a condo market, building them is how developers and builders get to declare bankruptcy. Townhouses are even a tough sell overall.

Pretty sure it's owned by DNR now and will be a recreational area.

You are correct. A couple of the plans I've seen add some more boat ramps.

He's just being a smart ass toward me because I live very close to there. LOL

frequentflier

happy to be living
Besides the obvious with construction traffic and then more hosed up traffic in an already congested area, what about all the small businesses that will suffer and will probably eventually go under? Hardware and garden stores that have been in Calvert County for many years come to mind.
Though I am not native to southern MD, I personally I love the area being rural and do not see growth as "progress".