Private Land to Hunt

B

Bride2Be

My fiance is looking for some land to hunt. He knows about all the public grounds, and he does have a small area at a family members home to hunt, but he would like somewhere with some more land. He is willing to pay!!

jenni4

Yay me!
there was some lady trying to get people to do a bunch of work on her barn or driveway in exchange for exclusive hunting rights... its in the free section last I saw.... However, its 15 acres of thick laurel and holly bushes... Not that I went and talked to the lady... I know her neighbors...

bulldog

However, its 15 acres of thick laurel and holly bushes.
Which is perfect...especially on a small lot like that. Could be a deer refuge and if a smart hunter scouts it and hunts it correctly, could prove to be very rewarding.
Good luck beating me to it. :whistle::razz:

jenni4

Yay me!
Which is perfect...especially on a small lot like that. Could be a deer refuge and if a smart hunter scouts it and hunts it correctly, could prove to be very rewarding.
Good luck beating me to it. :whistle::razz:

Not as good as it sounds...the holly and laurel is the entire area of perhaps 300+ acres...not just the small lot.... lots of good trees for stands but you can barely see the deer in all the holly and laurel... Oh you can hear them though.... can't hunt in blind cause of the holly and laurel...Dragging the deer that you manage to see and shoot is painful due to the prickly holly bushes so thick you can hardly walk...I'd invest in a chain saw or something.... Crapload of deer in there... just not very hunter friendly... Oh and the deer in there avoid openings like the plague... ok place for gun but awful for bow

bulldog

Not as good as it sounds...the holly and laurel is the entire area of perhaps 300+ acres...not just the small lot.... lots of good trees for stands but you can barely see the deer in all the holly and laurel... Oh you can hear them though.... can't hunt in blind cause of the holly and laurel...Dragging the deer that you manage to see and shoot is painful due to the prickly holly bushes so thick you can hardly walk...I'd invest in a chain saw or something.... Crapload of deer in there... just not very hunter friendly... Oh and the deer in there avoid openings like the plague... ok place for gun but awful for bow

Never really looked into it so can't comment on the condition of this land, but 300 acres of holly and laurel sounds odd to me. Granted, I've seen some thick stuff like this, but usually there are areas of change. Maybe these are the open areas you describe. At any rate, hunting land is hunting land and if you're looking for it and have found some, being picky may not be a good idea.
Good luck.

RatchetJaw

My fiance is looking for some land to hunt. He knows about all the public grounds, and he does have a small area at a family members home to hunt, but he would like somewhere with some more land. He is willing to pay!!

Where are you located?

JoeMac

there was some lady trying to get people to do a bunch of work on her barn or driveway in exchange for exclusive hunting rights... its in the free section last I saw.... However, its 15 acres of thick laurel and holly bushes... Not that I went and talked to the lady... I know her neighbors...

I either emailed her a couple of times or talked to her on the phone, it's been a while and can't remember now. I do remember she wanted an ass load of work done just for hunting privileges. Something like building a large barn and a bunch of other stuff. Maybe it was installing fence posts by hand too. To me that is just not worth a season of hunting permission.

Best thing to do is find a group of interested parties maybe 6-8 and pitch in and approach a property owner with a lease.