Problem with Diarrhea

fallon3386

I have my 9 year old Quarter Horse that is giving me a few problems lately with his diarrhea. He has a very sensitive stomach and no matter how gradually I change something he always ends up with diarrhea. He has never coliced before this year and all the sudden he has coliced 3 times, most recently being last wednesday with that one being the worst. I changed his feed about 2 weeks ago and now his diarrhea is just straight water coming out. I am now worrying about him loosing fluids and I am waiting for a call from the vet but I thought I would ask in the meantime what you guys thought. I did some research on the web and I am completely overwhelmed now. Does anyone have a thought?

devinej

good move calling the vet, i think that's the best shot you've got. its definitely abnormal and i've never had to deal with something quite like that before. blood work and maybe a scope would be a good idea. sorry you are having so much trouble with him!

fallon3386

No, I talked to the vet at length today and she said to put him on sand clear b/c he has a sand retention problem. if that doesn't work she said they will come out in two weeks and draw blood and put him on antibiotics and pro bios. I don't know I just don't want anything to happen to my very special friend

devinej

you might try adding some electrolytes to his food to replace what he's losing if his stool is still that watery. we used to give the pony babies that stuff, oh not gatorade, the baby gatorade for kids, whatever that stuff is, when they had bad diarrhea. hope he's drinking enough.

calgirl

I have my 9 year old Quarter Horse that is giving me a few problems lately with his diarrhea. He has a very sensitive stomach and no matter how gradually I change something he always ends up with diarrhea. He has never coliced before this year and all the sudden he has coliced 3 times, most recently being last wednesday with that one being the worst. I changed his feed about 2 weeks ago and now his diarrhea is just straight water coming out. I am now worrying about him loosing fluids and I am waiting for a call from the vet but I thought I would ask in the meantime what you guys thought. I did some research on the web and I am completely overwhelmed now. Does anyone have a thought?

Awe, poor thing. I know you must be worried. I'd give him pribios and electrolytes. You can buy both at the tack shop. You can sprinkle the electrolytes on his food also. However, I'd stop the feed and only give him hay and plenty of water. You can also put the electrolytes in the water. I would get a vet out as soon as possible, two weeks is too long, IMO. I hope things get better.

fallon3386

Thanks! I was not sure if you could give that to horses:) I started him back on Sand Clear last night and we also have electrolytes that he hates! What fun:) I really appreciate everything- hopefully you will see him at a show this spring, he is a fun beautiful boy!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Enterocolitis (inflammation of the small intestine and colon) caused by the bacteriums Clostridium difficile and Clostridium perfringens and is a common problem for both adult horses and foals. You have to treat the root cause in addition to the symptoms.

In ADDITION to the sand clear, you need:

1) Biosponge to help retain the fluids Equine Bio-Sponge

2) Acidophilus Acidophilus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to put the good bacteria into his gut. You can get this at walmart in the vitamins section, it's cheap. 1 pill a day while the horse is on biosponge.
Treat with these 3 things for at least 10 days.
AND

3) Treat aggressively for parasites. Do a Power Pack worming. Panacur® Powerpack - Horse.com Then start him on the last day of the power pack and all the other horses in his pasture (immediately following a good full spectrum wormer) on daily wormer for at least 4-6 months to eliminate the worms/parasites in his environment.

We almost lost a wonderful pony because i free leased her and the treating vet didn't know or understand this protocol and allowed our poor pony to have water stools for MONTHS. Then the person who free leased her returned her to me telling me (she had never told me she was sick!!) "she just couldn't bear to watch her die". :burning: I started this regimine immediately and she had normal stools within 48 hours.

Last edited:

fallon3386

Thanks and I will try that immediately. We did do a culture of his feces already and everything turned up negative. Do you think I should still treat so aggressively with the parasites? I am willing to do whatever it takes, believe me, but I just don't want to do too much too soon b/c he has coliced 3 times this year and has a very sensitive stomach. Let me know what you think, I appreciate the help.

mingiz

Horse Poor
Got this on-line hope it helps....

Equine diarrhea has many causes and you must be a part time investigator to rule out each cause. Your first consideration should be whether the stools are simply loose, or true diarrhea. Diarrhea is loose, watery, unformed manure, with frequent bowel movements. Diarrhea in horses is not a disease in itself, it's a symptom. Sudden onset of diarrhea means that something is amiss and contacting your veterinarian is advised. Being unsure as to the cause, you may wish to isolate your horse from other animals and take prophylactic precautions until the nature of his upset is found.

Common causes of equine diarrhea are:

SAND INGESTION

If you live in an area with sandy soil or the stall's footing is sand, there's likelihood that sand ingestion may be the culprit. As your horse grazes or eats hay from the ground, small amounts of sand can be ingested and will accumulate after some time. Fecal samples are taken for diagnosis and your vet may suggest adding psyllium to his diet on a regular basis as well as feeding his hay in a bunker, rather than ground feeding.

INTESTINAL PARASITES

Strongyles have been implicated at times as a cause of diarrhea. A good deworming program is an easy and inexpensive way for prevention. Your veterinarian will be happy to suggest an excellent rotational worming protocol.

BACTERIA

Such bacterial diseases as Salmonella and Potomac Horse fever can produce profuse and watery stools. Special precautions should be taken when handling horses during these episodes. Veterinary intervention and isolating your horse is required. Salmonella in particular is quite contagious and can be passed to other horses and sometimes, to humans.

TUMORS

Tumors in the digestive tract can produce diarrhea. The most common are the cancer growths of lymphosarcoma and squamous cell carcinoma. An equine hospital is equipped with the latest technology for diagnosis and removal of these tumors may be indicated.

UNKNOWN CAUSES

Having exhausted all known causes of diarrhea your horse may still be having problems. After consulting your vet, he may

suggest that you try a different type of hay or grain. I can bear witness to the "unknown cause" of diarrhea.

Spinner was my coming two year old colt and suffered with diarrhea for a good three months before we found the cause. He had been poked, prodded, and x-rayed with still no root cause. He never lost weight nor seemed to suffer any ill effects from his symptom and he began to like both Probiotics and Kaopectate. My vet suggested that we try a different type of hay. Voila! The simple change of a hay source did the trick. As it turned out, this colt was particularly sensitive to nitrogen (found in fertilizer) in his hay. The following year we used less nitrogen in our fertilizer mix and he's never had a problem since.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Thanks and I will try that immediately. We did do a culture of his feces already and everything turned up negative. Do you think I should still treat so aggressively with the parasites? I am willing to do whatever it takes, believe me, but I just don't want to do too much too soon b/c he has coliced 3 times this year and has a very sensitive stomach. Let me know what you think, I appreciate the help.
I don't know what your feeding/worming protocol is.
tapeworms rarely show up on a fecal. there are other internal parasites as well. The powerpack won't hurt him....but ask your vet just to be sure. The other stuff shouldn't hurt him at all. it's all natural - biosponge is diatomacious earth, and the acidop. is the same thing that's in yogurt with live cultures.

fallon3386

I gave him some probios as well and my vet told me that I could also give him regular yogurt from the store, just regular flavor. My horse will eat anything, so that shouldn't be a problem!

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Got this on-line hope it helps....

Equine diarrhea has many causes and you must be a part time investigator to rule out each cause. Your first consideration should be whether the stools are simply loose, or true diarrhea. Diarrhea is loose, watery, unformed manure, with frequent bowel movements. Diarrhea in horses is not a disease in itself, it's a symptom. Sudden onset of diarrhea means that something is amiss and contacting your veterinarian is advised. Being unsure as to the cause, you may wish to isolate your horse from other animals and take prophylactic precautions until the nature of his upset is found.

Common causes of equine diarrhea are:

SAND INGESTION

If you live in an area with sandy soil or the stall's footing is sand, there's likelihood that sand ingestion may be the culprit. As your horse grazes or eats hay from the ground, small amounts of sand can be ingested and will accumulate after some time. Fecal samples are taken for diagnosis and your vet may suggest adding psyllium to his diet on a regular basis as well as feeding his hay in a bunker, rather than ground feeding.

INTESTINAL PARASITES

Strongyles have been implicated at times as a cause of diarrhea. A good deworming program is an easy and inexpensive way for prevention. Your veterinarian will be happy to suggest an excellent rotational worming protocol.

BACTERIA

Such bacterial diseases as Salmonella and Potomac Horse fever can produce profuse and watery stools. Special precautions should be taken when handling horses during these episodes. Veterinary intervention and isolating your horse is required. Salmonella in particular is quite contagious and can be passed to other horses and sometimes, to humans.

TUMORS

Tumors in the digestive tract can produce diarrhea. The most common are the cancer growths of lymphosarcoma and squamous cell carcinoma. An equine hospital is equipped with the latest technology for diagnosis and removal of these tumors may be indicated.

UNKNOWN CAUSES

Having exhausted all known causes of diarrhea your horse may still be having problems. After consulting your vet, he may

suggest that you try a different type of hay or grain. I can bear witness to the "unknown cause" of diarrhea.

Spinner was my coming two year old colt and suffered with diarrhea for a good three months before we found the cause. He had been poked, prodded, and x-rayed with still no root cause. He never lost weight nor seemed to suffer any ill effects from his symptom and he began to like both Probiotics and Kaopectate. My vet suggested that we try a different type of hay. Voila! The simple change of a hay source did the trick. As it turned out, this colt was particularly sensitive to nitrogen (found in fertilizer) in his hay. The following year we used less nitrogen in our fertilizer mix and he's never had a problem since.
Thanks Mingiz! That was informative.:howdy:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I gave him some probios as well and my vet told me that I could also give him regular yogurt from the store, just regular flavor. My horse will eat anything, so that shouldn't be a problem!
It has to be a brand with LIVE cultures. Not just any ole cheap yogurt. The live cultures are what's in probios. Exact same stuff as the pills from walmart i referred to in my previous post. What you don't want to do is overload on any one thing!! it's a combined effort, and More is NOT better. Devise a plan and stick with it. The one i posted worked for my pony very quickly. it addresses all the symptoms for good support of the animal's system (loss of fluids, lack of good bacteria in the gut from the loss of fluids, potential sand in the gut or worm/parasite overload) until a root cause can be determined or eliminated by the protocol.

Disclaimer: My comments are not intended to take precedence over any veterinary advice....they are a method devised by my vet and myself that worked for my situation, which i have repeated when needed for other horses.

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Just stick a carrot in the horses butt, it always worked for Mr. Ed.
Disclaimer: These comments are not intended to take precedence over any veterinary advice....they are a method NOT devised by any vet or myself and did NOT work for any situation, and will NOT be repeated for other horses. :frown: Merry Christmas to ya.

Mojo

Disclaimer: These comments are not intended to take precedence over any veterinary advice....they are a method NOT devised by any vet or myself and did NOT work for any situation, and will NOT be repeated for other horses. :frown: Merry Christmas to ya.

:huggy: