Problems in San Francisco

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
San Francisco Seeing an 'Epidemic' of Shoplifting

Thieves enter stores, take whatever they want, and walk out. Store security guards no longer even bother to pursue offenders out of fear that the encounter will become violent. They take as much as the legal limit on retail theft allows. And then they go to another store and do the same thing.

The thieves sell their shoplifted goods in the open in little sidewalk markets.

“Half of Walgreens was on the sidewalk. I’m not kidding,” Ahsha Safaí, a member of the board of supervisors said. “I was blown away. I’ve never seen anything like it in this city.”

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, no fewer than 17 Walgreens Drug Stores have closed in the last 5 years.

Theft in Walgreens’ San Francisco stores is four times the average for stores elsewhere in the country, and the chain spends 35 times more on security guards in the city than elsewhere, Cunningham said.
At CVS, 42% of losses in the Bay Area came from 12 stores in San Francisco, which are only 8% of the market share, said Brendan Dugan, director of organized retail crime and corporate investigations at the hearing.

Hijinx

What the hell did they think would happen when they stopped enforcing the law?
Telling the public that they will not stop people from stealing anything that costs under $950 dollars is like hanging out a sign saying anything under that cost is Free.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We were always taught that stealing is bad, and now progbot governments are telling people that anything under a certain total amount is fair game free stuff. So why wouldn't people take what they are told they can have?

Us suckers who pay for stuff are not only paying for our own purchases, we're also paying for the stuff other people take for free. The company is not eating that cost, they are passing it down to us dummies who still think stealing is wrong.

And that's not just in the cities that have these idiotic (lack of) laws - the cost gets distributed corporate-wide.

Rommey

I don't understand why these stores stay in areas where they are subjected to the dregs of an area. I would love to see Walgreens and CVS coordinate an organized closure of all their stores in San Francisco.

herb749

I don't understand why these stores stay in areas where they are subjected to the dregs of an area. I would love to see Walgreens and CVS coordinate an organized closure of all their stores in San Francisco.

But then the DA would charge them with collusion or something like that. They want to allow their citizens to steal .

black dog

Free America

They act "Woke" but the reality is they close many stores a year or two after being built over poor sales to shrinkage/theft losses and it just adds more to the cities blight.
Same with auto parts stores.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
They act "Woke" but the reality is they close many stores a year or two after being built over poor sales to shrinkage/theft losses and it just adds more to the cities blight.
Same with auto parts stores.
Not to worry.

I'm sure more Pawn shops, Liquor stores, Lottery outlets and check cashing fronts will replace them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Feral animals in action

Okay, but if your city tells you you can have anything you want from any store up to $900 or whatever, why wouldn't you go shopping?

This is not stealing. People have been given permission to take these things.

Reactions: BOP