Product Testing for Free Stuff

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Has anyone ever done this?

I've read some items on legitimate sites, (hot-deals.org, cnet, slashdot, etc.) that say some of these offers are for real - that you can get free laptops, televisions, electronics, kitchen tools and appliances, etc. if you just sign up to be a product tester and test those products that you get.

The catch is, some if not a vast majority of them require that you put yourself on a buncha mailing lists. But there are some... that don't.

My question is... has anyone ever done it? And if so... what was your experience? Is anyone aware of any reputable companies that do this and won't sell your personal info or subject you to boatloads of spam and junk mail?

J

justhangn

Sadly, I tried ONE and was put on the emailing list from HELL!!!!!!

I'm still putting crap on the SPAM list. :banghead:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
justhangn said:

See... I have a spam account specifically for signing up for internet websites. I use my Yahoo account.

Vince

justhangn said:

I've never tried one and still got on the email list from hell. Must get 100 pieces of spam per day. :banghead:

J

justhangn

sleuth said:
See... I have a spam account specifically for signing up for internet websites. I use my Yahoo account.
My Gmail account sends the SPAM straight to the can. :yay:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
justhangn said:

My only concern is that... with spam... it's still fairly anonymous. So long as I don't tie any personal information to my email account, for the most part, they can't get it without jumping through hoops.

With something like this product testing, I give them my home address and probably a lot more personal info.

J

justhangn

sleuth said:
My only concern is that... with spam... it's still fairly anonymous. So long as I don't tie any personal information to my email account, for the most part, they can't get it without jumping through hoops.

With something like this product testing, I give them my home address and probably a lot more personal info.
Not to mention that they want you to sign up for atleast 5 different services and the like.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
cattitude said:
You should have voted for Kerry then you could have stood in line for all your free sh!t.
:rolleyes: They get something from me. I get something from them. It's called "bartering". So take a hike.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Go ahead and sign up...betcha they ask for money or a CC# after you register with them.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I participate in startsampling.com where I receive sample size products and coupons for various items that I would be interested in. They only send the products I want to sample and I earn "points" for every sample I try and for every product review I give. The points are used for "prizes". So far I have earned a dvd player and a few other smaller items and am saving points for a tv. I haven't noticed any extra "spam" however, you have an option when reviewing products to receive "special mailings" from the manufacturer of the product you review. Hope that helps Sleuth.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
migtig said:
I participate in startsampling.com where I receive sample size products and coupons for various items that I would be interested in. They only send the products I want to sample and I earn "points" for every sample I try and for every product review I give. The points are used for "prizes". So far I have earned a dvd player and a few other smaller items and am saving points for a tv. I haven't noticed any extra "spam" however, you have an option when reviewing products to receive "special mailings" from the manufacturer of the product you review. Hope that helps Sleuth.
Thanks Mig... :huggy:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Well... I went ahead and signed up with http://www.product-testing.com.

I found a couple articles out there that referenced them as "authorities" on the subject of marketing research. Their privacy policy says I will never get spam from them, and they will never sell or give out my information.

The sign up process was painless.. just one form, although it was a pretty long form with lots of check-boxes. They didn't ask for any financial info except for what household income range I fell into. No credit card numbers, no bank accounts. It didn't ask for my phone number.

So far the only emails I've received are the ones confirming my sign-up. I have not noticed any spam in the last hour and half that would appear to come from anything affiliated with this.

I'll keep anyone who's interested posted on how it goes. But so far, they haven't sent me any invitations to test anything. :shrug: