Propane 20 # bottle

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
Got a bottle of cooking gas to fry the turkey today. I did a refill not exchange, the weight filled into bottle was 17.2 pound (checked by a refrigerant scale) . The volume was a tick over 4 gallon.

Propane is 4.2# per gallon
Price 25$

So why is the bar-b-q ~ called a 20 pound bottle?

FED_UP

Got a bottle of cooking gas to fry the turkey today. I did a refill not exchange, the weight filled into bottle was 17.2 pound (checked by a refrigerant scale) . The volume was a tick over 4 gallon.

Price 25$

$17.99 if you have acccess to the Pax Base, they don't do refills though. There are other cheaper places also noted on a past thread, as far as the weight I take it your bored.

Last edited:

FED_UP

Price 25$

A google answer I think :shrug:

The bottle filling station will generally have a cylinder filling chart that converts water capacity (WC) to pounds of propane that the filler will refer to before filling the bottle. The chart will show that 47.6 pounds of water converts to 20 pounds of propane. In other words, a propane bottle that will hold 47.6 pounds of water will hold 20 pounds of propane. This indicates that the scale needs to be set a little over 38 pounds (20 lbs + 18 lbs = 38 lbs) to obtain the weight of the bottle when it reaches its allowable capacity.

R

rhenderson

The 20 lb designation is a hold over from the pre EPA/OSHA regulations that now require overfill protective devices that are now required for all bottles.

You used to get 20 lbs of propane when you filled a bottle - now they can get about 17+ .

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
$17.99 if you have acccess to the Pax Base, they don't do refills though. There are other cheaper places also noted on a past thread, as far as the weight I take it your bored.

$15.99 at BJ's for a refill.

I also discovered that my grill has a safety valve that requires you to allow the pressure to equalize in the valve before you light the grill.
The drill is turn on the gas at the bottle, wait a few minutes before turning on the grill otherwise the grill will only burn with a very low flame.

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
The 20 lb designation is a hold over from the pre EPA/OSHA regulations that now require overfill protective devices that are now required for all bottles.

You used to get 20 lbs of propane when you filled a bottle - now they can get about 17+ .

Thank You.