Propane Gas grill

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I am trying to reset my gas grill again. I did it once before a wk or so ago. Not sue why but maybe because the grill has been sitting a long time in between usage because of the cold weather? When I turn it on, the flames are not going high enough. It could be because I turned one of the burners on before the other ones so it affects the way the burners light.

Anyway, I'm following the directions to do this and the gas bottle is turned off. All the burners are off, the lid on the grill is open and I'm trying to disconnect the hose from the bottle and it's hissing, and I could feel the cold gas. :jameo:

I don't remember this happening the last time. Am I going to blow something up?

TPD

the poor dad
I am trying to reset my gas grill again. I did it once before a wk or so ago. Not sue why but maybe because the grill has been sitting a long time in between usage because of the cold weather? When I turn it on, the flames are not going high enough. It could be because I turned one of the burners on before the other ones so it affects the way the burners light.

Anyway, I'm following the directions to do this and the gas bottle is turned off. All the burners are off, the lid on the grill is open and I'm trying to disconnect the hose from the bottle and it's hissing, and I could feel the cold gas. :jameo:

I don't remember this happening the last time. Am I going to blow something up?
Just had this problem with my grill 2 weeks ago - drove me bonkers! My issue was the regulating valve was bad - had to replace it. Listen closely for a hissing noise near the valve.

Bann

PREMO Member
Just had this problem with my grill 2 weeks ago - drove me bonkers! My issue was the regulating valve was bad - had to replace it. Listen closely for a hissing noise near the valve.
Well, I can definitely replace it but it's hissing when I tried to take it off I just don't want to explode things. :lol: Thing2 is at work, and he just replied to me and said that the gas bottle must not be turned off, but I looked at the direction of the metal knob doohickey and it's pointing to closed. 🤔

TPD

the poor dad
See that small hole on the valve? If you hear or feel anything from it - that is your problem. To get your t-bones cooked tonight - put your finger on that hole then light the grill. You should hear a click in that valve - flame should be where it needs to be. After done cooking, turn off gas then go to your local hardware store tomorrow and buy the new valve/hose assembly.

TPD

the poor dad
Well, I can definitely replace it but it's hissing when I tried to take it off I just don't want to explode things. :lol: Thing2 is at work, and he just replied to me and said that the gas bottle must not be turned off, but I looked at the direction of the metal knob doohickey and it's pointing to closed. 🤔
Screw the hose back onto the tank then follow my directions above.

Bann

PREMO Member
oopsie! I just checked it again, and I must have twisted the knob the wrong direction!!! For godssakes.

Thank you! :biggrin:

I still need to check that because it shouldn't be needing to be reset so soon. :yay:

Reactions: TPD

TPD

the poor dad
oopsie! I just checked it again, and I must have twisted the knob the wrong direction!!! For godssakes.

Thank you! :biggrin:

I still need to check that because it shouldn't be needing to be reset so soon. :yay:
If you need to replace the regulator, don't be a cheapskate like me and get just the regulator thinking you will use the hose you already have. Nope not gonna work. Just get the entire assembly, if your grill is somewhat standard. About $25.

Bann

PREMO Member
Screw the hose back onto the tank then follow my directions above.
No hissing! :yay:

I think I tripped it by turning the wrong burner valve on first. NOT SURE WHY the second one is the one that's set as the ignition burner, but it it is. Of course I went to turn the first one on first and realized what I did.

Today is opening season for half smokes here at the Bann house - I needs my grill! :getdown:

TPD

the poor dad
I have never heard of resetting a grill.
I hadn't either till mine did this 2 weeks ago and my neighbor told me about. Resetting worked the first time for me but not 2 days later when my wife went out to use it. She was threatening to go to our local hardware store and steal a new grill. That's when I discovered my regulator leaking and replacing it fixed my grill and prevented my wife from going to jail for theft.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I stopped using anything but the adjustable regulators with the big red knob. Got tired of chasing the flow problems with the standard fixed ones. Big plus is how fast you can burn the crud off your grill grate ....lol

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I just tap the regulator and softly whisper encouraging words to it.

It's always a 50/50 proposition anyway.

Bonehead

There is a way to reset those fixed regulators when they hang up. Just shut the main bottle valve wait 60 seconds and then reopen. This is with the burner controls off of course. The regulators will shut down on what it "sees" as a high flow rate condition.