property line fence

johnssh1

Does anyone know what it takes to have a fence tore down. My neighbor said he can claim some of my land. He has a plot on paper but he is not a surveyor though. Does he have to get a surveyor to come out and flag the ground before he can tear down a fence that was here before me and him? Or can he tear it down because he thinks he knows where it should go. I heard since he is the one contesting he has to pay for the surveyor.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Your neighbor sounds like a jerk.
Poison his dog
Cut the valve stems off all his tires.
List his house for sale at half what it's worth.
Order 1,000 pizzas to his address.
Collect the little cards in the magazines at Wal Mart and put his name on them for free subscriptions.

T

toppick08

Poison his dog
Collect the little cards in the magazines at Wal Mart and put his name on them for free subscriptions.

:yeahthat:

I've got a Rottweiler you can borrow........:evil:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Poison his dog

No poisoning of dogs, please.

ImnoMensa

I suppose he can tear the fence down at his own risk, but he would be extremely stupid to do so without a survey as he could be required to replace it if he is wrong, plus you could charge him with trespass and destruction of your property.

It's a shame some people have neighbors who are buttheads, but if things get to an impasse hire a surveyor, dont argue with the fool, people have gotten killed over land disputes.

Most times in cases like this we are only talking about a footor less and the fence is already there what can the idiot need that foot of land for?

RPMDAD

Does anyone know what it takes to have a fence tore down. My neighbor said he can claim some of my land. He has a plot on paper but he is not a surveyor though. Does he have to get a surveyor to come out and flag the ground before he can tear down a fence that was here before me and him? Or can he tear it down because he thinks he knows where it should go. I heard since he is the one contesting he has to pay for the surveyor.

Not sure what county you are in but, at closing on your house / his house both buyers should have received a plat of the property. I am certainly not a lawyer but i believe a fence can not be put directly on the property line , that there must be some predefined by county / state offset. I would check your plat and if your not positive where your property lines are i would get a survey done for legal purposes.......
Jim

Otter

Nothing to see here
Not sure what county you are in but, at closing on your house / his house both buyers should have received a plat of the property. I am certainly not a lawyer but i believe a fence can not be put directly on the property line , that there must be some predefined by county / state offset. I would check your plat and if your not positive where your property lines are i would get a survey done for legal purposes.......
Jim

Typically, the plat you receive at closing is just a general location of the property. Go to the county land records division and you can get a better copy(relatively cheap) of the plat thats readable. Then start measuring yourself if you can find the lot markers. A survey costs some money and you can easily find out on your own if the fence is on the other guys property.

R

residentofcre

Jim

Most of the lots have a metal rod driven right into the ground during the survey..... you can find it with a metal detector....

poster

Most of the lots have a metal rod driven right into the ground during the survey..... you can find it with a metal detector....

True...if you can find at least two it should be easy enough to find the property lines on your own. If you still feel he's wrong I'd spring for the survey just to be sure. Also I would call the county and ask what is required to put up a fence. I bet you'll find he'll need a permit and/or survey to put one back and it probably has to be held away from the line a few feet.

Let's just say if he's wrong, his yard just got smaller. :doh: