Property question

Hoover

We are relocating our 2 horses to our property. We do not have an HOA in our neighborhood. Some of our neighbors are saying it will depreciate the value of their homes if we bring the horses to our property. Is this true? We are adding a board on board fence to the front of our property where it can be seen and then in the woods it will be electric wire. Also adding a 2 horse run in with a tack room all to match the aesthetics of our home.

MDres

My husband and I have done a lot of house shopping/buying across the country over the last 17 years of his military career. I have never once been told, by an appraiser or realtor, that the mere presence of horses will depreciate a property value. You do have to abide by whatever government restrictions are in place - it can depend on where you live. Our current regulations say we have to have 2 acres for the 1st animal, and then an acre for each additional animal, but it may be different where you live.

Of course, I am also assuming you are going to keep your place neat and tidy, and not overgraze down to dirt, let fences fall down, etc. THOSE conditions CAN negatively impact a value... There are a number of horse properties that I drive past that are nasty and I wouldn't want to be a neighbor of - that is probably the scenario your neighbors are afraid of....

PJumper

We are relocating our 2 horses to our property. We do not have an HOA in our neighborhood. Some of our neighbors are saying it will depreciate the value of their homes if we bring the horses to our property. Is this true? We are adding a board on board fence to the front of our property where it can be seen and then in the woods it will be electric wire. Also adding a 2 horse run in with a tack room all to match the aesthetics of our home.

I believe you have to have at least 2 acres to have livestock here in Southern MD.

Palominolover

I think it is 2 acres per horse. But different counties may have different rules.

Not sure that anyone checks anyway.

Having horses should not make your neighbors property value go down at all.

They probably just don't want the horses there, that is why they are saying that.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
When your neighbors start paying your mortgage then they can decide what you can do on the property.

Tell them to sit and spin:evil:

mamatutu

mama to two

I am in Calvert. I honestly don't believe that about home depreciation. There are two neighbors on our street with horses. And, the two main roads that we are off of have many homes with horses. I, also, think it adds to the charm of the neighborhood, and I love seeing the horses as I drive by; especially when they are playing around. I would welcome you to our neighborhood!

ladyhawk

If the county approves permits for the construction of.... There is absolutely nothing your neighbors can say about it. I think you may need a permit for the run-in, if it has electric and/or water... If you weren't allowed to put these structures up, the county would never approve the permits...
Check with the County to see what you may need..

And I totally agree with Kom526..
What if your neighbors don't like the landscaping you might want to put in? Your neighbors need to mind their own business and you need to do what is best for you and your horses...

It's better than paying board and putting up with some of the crap that goes on at some of the boarding facilities around here not to mention the money you save by having your own place!

June

Last edited:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

If there's no HOA and you meet any County minimums (and I don't know if there are so please check) who gives a #### what your neighbors say?

Yet another example of people moving to a rural area and the Norman Rockwell vision they have not reflecting reality.

I'd get a few pigs for good measure.

Roman

I think it is 2 acres per horse. But different counties may have different rules.

Not sure that anyone checks anyway.

Having horses should not make your neighbors property value go down at all.

They probably just don't want the horses there, that is why they are saying that.
We went through something simular to this about 13 years ago. We only have Chickens, and a Peacock. The neighbors were all up in arms, called Animal Control, even though the Chickens were contained. Then one of the neighbors even called Planning & Zoning. Both agencies came out to investigate, and said that we were within our rights, because we have 4+ acres, and the Coup was more than "X" amount of feet away from any dwellings. We live in Calvert.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We went through something simular to this about 13 years ago. We only have Chickens, and a Peacock. The neighbors were all up in arms, called Animal Control, even though the Chickens were contained. Then one of the neighbors even called Planning & Zoning. Both agencies came out to investigate, and said that we were within our rights, because we have 4+ acres, and the Coup was more than "X" amount of feet away from any dwellings. We live in Calvert.
I don't believe there is an acreage requirement for chickens and if there is there shouldn't be.

ANybody that has closed on a house in MD has signed a right to farm (right to have chickens) addendum. Check your documents, it's there.

mingiz

Horse Poor
In St.Mary's you need 3 acres for the first horse and a acre for each head after that..Anything under 500lbs can be on less acreage...Unless the laws have changed in the last few years...

pippymattie

In St. Mary's we no longer have a minimum acreage. There are certain zones horses are not allowed, but in the Rural Preservation District (RPD), you can have horses, you need to get a zoning permit for a equestrian facility minor. It is only 15 dollars, you will need to show the proposed run-in on your house location survey, as long as it does not exceed 5,000 sq.ft. of soil disturbance you won't need a building permit for a "stable", however that does not cover electrical or plumbing. You may have horse in the RPD, VMX, TMX and the use is limited in the RL and RL-T zones.