Property Tax Bill

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
So i was gifted 2 acs in the mechanicsville/leonardtown/hollywood area. The county assessment said $90,300. Its a open field with 1 barn. Does that sound about right or should i contest it?

Rommey

There's a couple of 2 acre lots in Mechanicsville for sale right now and their assessed value shows to be $87K and $91K, even though both are being sold for less than the assessed value. So your $90K assessment sounds similar to the others.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
What is it zoned for? If it is a buildable lot, that will greatly affect the assessment value. Also look at the breakdown of the assessment: how much for the land and how much for the structure (barn). I have seen barn assessed at far greater value than they should have been.

This may be helpful:

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
What is it zoned for? If it is a buildable lot, that will greatly affect the assessment value. Also look at the breakdown of the assessment: how much for the land and how much for the structure (barn). I have seen barn assessed at far greater value than they should have been.

This may be helpful:

Its zoned residential and they didnt even count the barn.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 137
I have 4 undeveloped acres assessed at $10k, but it's protected and can't be built on. Only costs me $110/year in taxes.

nutz

So i was gifted 2 acs in the mechanicsville/leonardtown/hollywood area. The county assessment said $90,300. Its a open field with 1 barn. Does that sound about right or should i contest it?
Good luck. The state only uses “at arms length” sales for comparison/valuation purposes. Assessed value and retail value are not necessarily the same either.
Swamp, in other words....you own some swamp land. Figgers. ;-p
Protected land, as in “wetlands”? Your paying the state for permission to keep them?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Good luck. The state only uses “at arms length” sales for comparison/valuation purposes. Assessed value and retail value are not necessarily the same either.

Protected land, as in “wetlands”? Your paying the state for permission to keep them?

That is an interesting state of affairs when you think about it. Roughly 2.5 acres of my place is protected wetlands too....so I'm a "fellow swampland owner". I can hunt it though...so there is that use that's allowed.

In my case, it's because a stream runs thru the property which leads to the Patuxent River. I have 2 small waterfalls and lots of dry woods. It's a wonderful buffer between me and any neighbors.

nutz

In my case, it's because a stream runs thru the property which leads to the Patuxent River. I have 2 small waterfalls and lots of dry woods. It's a wonderful buffer between me and any neighbors.
A critical area buffer or other easement designation?