Proverbs 3 Correction

seekeroftruth

Proverbs 3:11 My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline,
and do not resent his rebuke,
12 because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
as a father the son he delights in.(b)​

b. Proverbs 3:12 Hebrew; Septuagint loves, / and he chastens everyone he accepts as his child

The commentaries on Proverbs are really instructive or really preachy. Easy English seems to have the more instructive and least preachy of the commentary. Hey... trying to learn here... not get preached at.

Many people do not want to learn how to behave well. They want to choose how they will live their lives.

God is our father. A father teaches his son. Sometimes, the father must correct or punish his son. In the same way, God corrects us.

God does not correct us because he is angry. God corrects us because he loves us. A human father should not punish his child because the father is angry. Rather, the father corrects the child because the father loves his child. If God corrects us, then we should be glad. His correction teaches us to do the right things. His correction will save us from troubles.​

Jesus spoke about this in John 15:1-8. He compares God to a gardener. We are like a vine (fruit tree). ‘If a branch has no fruit, God cuts it shorter. He does this so that the branch will have more fruit.’ (John 15:2)

God does not forget about us. He watches us. He sees our errors. In love, he corrects us.

He might correct us by some word that we read in the Bible. He might use the advice of other people, for example, a minister or friend. He might even use someone who is not a Christian. ‘If you hear God’s voice today, do not refuse him!’ (Hebrews 3:15)

There is a different, ancient translation of verse 12. Hebrews 12:6 copies this translation. It says, ‘God punishes everyone whom he receives as a son.’ Hebrews 12:7-11 explains these words. God corrects us, because we are his children. If he did not correct us, we should not be his children. We respect our natural fathers who correct us. In the same way, we must respect God.

Sometimes correction includes punishment. ‘Punishment is not pleasant at the time. Punishment seems painful. Later, however, it produces something good. We learn peace, and we learn right actions.’ (Hebrews 12:11)

Even the least preachy was preachy. I'm the oldest of five kids. I'm also a mother. Correction is necessary.... absolutely necessary. Toddlers are curious little kids. They will want to try anything they can. They love to stick stuff in their mouths. It's really dangerous.... having a curious toddler around. It's especially dangerous in the kitchen. They all want to open the cabinets. I always wondered how those toddlers know there was a whole world to explore behind that cabinet door.... then I realized... they saw it while I had them on my hip while cooking dinner. They saw me pull out that shiny pot [magpies in training] and they know all they have to do to explore all the other worlds in that room is get past those doors. I'm not one to screw a latch on my wooden cabinets. And landlords frown on defacing their property, especially the military housing people..... so I give those curious toddlers a swat on the butt or on the hands... say "no"... and move them away.... consistently.... which only makes them crave it... which when they get older and sneakier... leads them to hide in the cabinet with the shiny pot [magpies in training].... which leads to more than a swat on the butt or on the hands... it gains them time out... and generally there is crying.... but they stop going in the cabinets and that's good because another cabinet contains all those pretty and deadly cleaning supplies.

See... correction is love. Even if that swat on the butt and that time out hurts..... it's love.

:coffee: