Psalm 12 Prophet David!!

seekeroftruth

Psalm 12: (a)(b) 1 Help, Lord, for no one is faithful anymore;
those who are loyal have vanished from the human race.
2 Everyone lies to their neighbor;
they flatter with their lips
but harbor deception in their hearts.
3 May the Lord silence all flattering lips
and every boastful tongue—
4 those who say,
“By our tongues we will prevail;
our own lips will defend us—who is lord over us?”
5 “Because the poor are plundered and the needy groan,
I will now arise,” says the Lord.
“I will protect them from those who malign them.”
6 And the words of the Lord are flawless,
like silver purified in a crucible,
like gold[c] refined seven times.
7 You, Lord, will keep the needy safe
and will protect us forever from the wicked,
8 who freely strut about
when what is vile is honored by the human race.

a. Psalm 12:1 In Hebrew texts 12:1-8 is numbered 12:2-9.
b. Psalm 12:1 Title: Probably a musical term
c. Psalm 12:6 Probable reading of the original Hebrew text; Masoretic Text earth

Wow.... does this sound like today to anyone else????

All the commentaries are preachy.... after all... it is the Psalms.... great fodder for talking points.... but the easy English uses less words... and doesn't seem as preachy.

People said bad things about David. David thought that everyone was saying bad things. We do not know when that was. Perhaps it was:​
· when David lived with Saul. After David killed Goliath he went to live with Saul. When Saul was sad, David made music. This made Saul happy again. But some people did not like it. They were not happy that Saul liked David. They said bad things about David.​
· when David ran away from Saul. He went to live in the woods and fields and mountains. Again, people said bad things about David.​
David prayed to God. He told God what people were saying. David heard the answer from the LORD. We do not know how he heard it. But David did write it down. This made David a prophet. This was because David told people what God said. That is what a prophet does.
Verse 1: "kind people" here means people who:​
· love God, and​
· do good things​
Verse 2: David says, "People do not mean what they say". They tell King Saul one thing, but mean something else.​
Verse 4: "who will stop us" is "who is lord over us" in Hebrew. A lord is a very powerful person. The bad people think that nobody is more powerful than them. But they are wrong. God is more powerful.
Verse 5: "safe" here and "help" in Psalm 12:1 are the same word in Hebrew. It is the Hebrew word that we get our word Jesus from.
Verse 6: Men find silver in the ground. It is dirty. People make it clean with fire. It is then very beautiful and of great value. David is saying that God's words are also like this.​
If the flowery sermons in the commentaries had turned me off... as they almost did... I would have simply said "this is a song about what bad people do".... but it's more than that.... the commentary here says that it's proof that David became a prophet during his lifetime. That's new!!! I hadn't heard that before and wouldn't have gotten it this time.... if it weren't written in plain English.

David was a prophet.... wow... who knew!

Check out the last couple of verses..... Does this look familiar???

Psalm 12:7 You, Lord, will keep the needy safe
and will protect us forever from the wicked,
8 who freely strut about
when what is vile is honored by the human race.

☕